JamesMusslewhite

attachicon.giftrack (1).png

http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/index.php/tropical-cyclones/weather-bulletins

Has been raining pretty steadily here (Siargao) but no real winds to mention yet. Grounds saturated already though from weeks of heavy rain.

Expecting maybe some branches down, etc but not much more than that.

The link above lists the areas under signal #1 and that includes Bohol. This means the Coast Guard won't let the boats go.

Wouldn't hurt to wait a day to make that trip; 98W is going to blow through pretty fast so you will probably be good to go the following day.

To emphasize: this is only a tropical disturbance and not even a tropical storm (though that's a possibility), but certainly not a typhoon. Sustained winds of only 45 kph with gusts to 55 right now. 

It's not so much about watching the track but the heavy rainfall.

Here on the little island where I am building the hatchery it has been raining all week. Then early this morning they parked one if the large Siargao passenger pumpboats. They moored it up close to the shore by our front door on the back side of the island where it will be safe from winds and waves. It made for a rare photo opportunity. They told my wife that there presently are no passengers pumpboat operating between Surigao City, Dinagat Island, Siargao Island or other outlining islands. 

• Like 1
BossHog

JTWC has now issued a Tropical Cyclone Formation Alert (TCFA).

(click image to enlarge)

post-5791-0-14254600-1479968498_thumb.gif

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 3
  • Administrator
Dafey

I closed my office in Costa Rica early today to allow for preparations for hurricane Otto

Like stocking up on ice and gin? Whoot!!! Hurricane party at Monsoon's ! :party0023:  

• Like 1
colemanlee

Heavy Rain and probably 10/15 mph winds at present in Tacloban...

BossHog

Looks like it did strengthen after landfall and got upgraded to a Tropical Storm after all

post-5791-0-46677100-1480024516_thumb.gifpost-5791-0-20582800-1480024525.png

post-5791-0-39148200-1480024612_thumb.png

post-5791-0-37186000-1480025238_thumb.gif

post-5791-0-38338900-1480024788_thumb.jpg

Edited by BossHog

In Moalboal some rain last night, morning finished. Minor storm.

Funny was first time ever received alert SMS Signal #1 in Cebu from NDRRMC. Looks like everybody have.

I never signed in to their alert. Who gave them my number? Smart?

• Like 2

In Moalboal some rain last night, morning finished. Minor storm.

Funny was first time ever received alert SMS Signal #1 in Cebu from NDRRMC. Looks like everybody have.

I never signed in to their alert. Who gave them my number? Smart?

Good question, seemed like an 'amber alert' or whatever they're called in the US.  Myself and my to be both received several last night.  Smart.  She has Sun also but only received a notification on her Smart number.

In Cebu City a passing rain shower this morning, some rain last night, but not even particularly good kite flying weather really. 

• Like 1
Headshot

This storm was a big nothing for us. Here in Mandaue, we got a little bit of rain, but no winds of any consequence. Kids were out of school for two days (Thursday and Friday), and there was absolutely no danger to them. What a waste of tuition money. It was a bad decision by PAGASA to call the Signal 1 (other than for boating), and it was a bad decision by DepEd to close the schools. The storm center in now already on the other side of Panay Island.

Good question, seemed like an 'amber alert' or whatever they're called in the US.  Myself and my to be both received several last night.  Smart.  She has Sun also but only received a notification on her Smart number.

I got the same message on Globe.

thebob

It was a bad decision by PAGASA to call the Signal 1 (other than for boating), and it was a bad decision by DepEd to close the schools.

It's better to err on the side of caution.

Skywalker

What a waste of tuition money.

Tell me about it.  Very light drizzle all day yesterday here in the City.  Schools closed for the kids (again).

Headshot

It's better to err on the side of caution.

It is best to err on the side of good sense. They knew long before it was time to start classes today that the storm had already passed us by without harm. They should have waited until this morning to decide whether or not to cancel classes.

• Like 1
JohnSurrey

Pretty heavy rain here - probably 1 to 1 1/2 foot of it - winds not too strong - thankfully there were lulls between the heavy and light rain; most of the water drained away during the night.

We (Baybay Leyte) were probably in the direct path of it - quite a few of the neighbours flooded out - lost the electricity at about 10pm back on at 8pm tonight.

First time we've ever had a text from NDRRMC, wife panicked ... strange because nothing showing on PH Weather App we use either from Pagasa or JTWC - In our case they were right to send out the warning - worst weather we've had for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Looks like it did strengthen after landfall and got upgraded to a Tropical Storm after all

attachicon.gifwp2916.gifattachicon.gifa-00.png

attachicon.giftrack.png

attachicon.gif1irsml.gif

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

But I thought that was impossible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk