Skywalker

Interesting.

Someone told me, just today, that we'd have big rain on Friday.

Huh.  So if I'm reading that correctly heading over to Bohol on Friday morning could end up being a bad idea?

24 Hour( Tomorrow morning): In the vicinity of Getafe, Bohol

So this one might not get anymore severe, but the timing is about the worst it could be for me.  Seems like it will be on top of us right when we're going from Cebu to Getafe tomorrow morning.  Does this look like something we'd be better off avoiding?  Making that crossing tomorrow morning?

• Administrator
Dafey

24 Hour( Tomorrow morning): In the vicinity of Getafe, Bohol

So this one might not get anymore severe, but the timing is about the worst it could be for me.  Seems like it will be on top of us right when we're going from Cebu to Getafe tomorrow morning.  Does this look like something we'd be better off avoiding?  Making that crossing tomorrow morning?

Some people pay big money for a thrill ride like that !!!

Actually, if you go by Windytv.com the winds between the islands don't look that bad.

colemanlee

Actually, if you go by Windytv.com the winds between the islands don't look that bad.

We are just starting to get the rain...but the wind is picking up....Windytv is the bomb....great and usually the most accurate 

Headshot

They have declared signal one here in Cebu, so my daughter's school is closed today. It is funy because it is dead calm right now, and the storm isn't expected to arrive until late tonight.

Edited by Headshot
BossHog

post-5791-0-18810600-1479957225_thumb.png

http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/index.php/tropical-cyclones/weather-bulletins

Has been raining pretty steadily here (Siargao) but no real winds to mention yet. Grounds saturated already though from weeks of heavy rain.

Expecting maybe some branches down, etc but not much more than that.

The link above lists the areas under signal #1 and that includes Bohol. This means the Coast Guard won't let the boats go.

Wouldn't hurt to wait a day to make that trip; 98W is going to blow through pretty fast so you will probably be good to go the following day.

To emphasize: this is only a tropical disturbance and not even a tropical storm (though that's a possibility), but certainly not a typhoon. Sustained winds of only 45 kph with gusts to 55 right now. 

It's not so much about watching the track but the heavy rainfall.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1

The link above lists the areas under signal #1 and that includes Bohol. This means the Coast Guard won't let the boats go.

Perfect really.  I'm not scared!  The Coast Guard won't let us go! :-)

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

They have declared signal one here in Cebu, so my daughter's school is closed today. It is funy because it is dead calm right now, and the storm isn't expected to arrive until late tonight.

Hopefully those excused from work will use that time for what it is intended to: prepare for the worst.

Historically many do not.

Headshot

Hopefully those excused from work will use that time for what it is intended to: prepare for the worst.

Historically many do not.

The forecast is for winds up to about 40 knots. Unless you are living in a cardboard shack, there isn't much chance of "the worst" happening. Even if there is rain heavy enough to cause flooding, it is most likely the poor that would be affected. The public schools didn't let out, so my nephew and all of his classmates are at school right now.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

The forecast is for winds up to about 40 knots. Unless you are living in a cardboard shack, there isn't much chance of "the worst" happening. Even if there is rain heavy enough to cause flooding, it is most likely the poor that would be affected. The public schools didn't let out, so my nephew and all of his classmates are at school right now.

Forecasts have been wrong.

I closed my office in Costa Rica early today to allow for preparations for hurricane Otto.  A rare late season hurricane affecting the area. We are inland and storm surge / flooding shouldn't be too much of an issue. But landslides and winds are. We also rented blocks of rooms at two local hotels with backup generators for employees and their families who may be in danger due to being in landslide prone areas or may experience issues due to home structural issues. 

I would rather err on the side of caution and  take a financial hit this month than lose one person to a totally preventable casualty. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1
Headshot

That's awfully nice of you, but this is just a tropical depression, not a typhoon (or hurricane). There is zero chance that it will strengthen now that it is hitting land in Surigao.