• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J C

• loosehead

• hoz

• A_Simple_Man

Folks, let's try to keep to the topic of the thread please.

No Problem! I actually thought of it. It was a natural offshoot of conversation! Just tell me if there's a music/guitar thread, how to find it, and I'll gladly switch that topic to it.

jc

No Problem! I actually thought of it. It was a natural offshoot of conversation! Just tell me if there's a music/guitar thread, how to find it, and I'll gladly switch that topic to it.

jc

+

I thot we might be straying, but it's JC's thread isn't it???

One of the problems with threads drifting and moving to different topics, is that others view it in the future, and find it both confusing, and difficult to follow.

Anyone can always start another thread pm another topic if they wish to.

Seems the off topic discussion is in itself way off topic. It is JC's thread...Im enjoying it.

WOW, 2 pages of decent conversation WITH NO ARGUMENTS OR CONTROVERSY, and an ADMIN steps in to shut it down.

Thx Alan, so how do YOU handle your finances in the Philippines?"

WOW, 2 pages of decent conversation WITH NO ARGUMENTS OR CONTROVERSY, and an ADMIN steps in to shut it down.

Thx Alan, so how do YOU handle your finances in the Philippines?"

All responses make me smile! Thanks all!

So Alan: where's the advice to me as to how to bring everyone to a blues guitar thread! Heh heh!

Seems the off topic discussion is in itself way off topic. It is JC's thread...Im enjoying it.

Thanks Sam! Me too! Anyone wanna discuss onomanopaeic poetry? hee hee haa hahaa!

JC you are a mind reader. Two of the discs I have on my 3 disc player this morning are Stevie Ray Vaughan and Gary Moore. The other is John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, the music that turned me on to the blues when I was a kid in the late 60's. Confirming my email is [email protected] but if that doesn't work. please send to my son [email protected]

I haven't been to New York but I feel way safer in Cebu than I did in LA and other US cities. The basic precautions you took in New York should be more than adequate for Cebu. Of course you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time but people who exercise a little common sense and treat the local people with respect generally lead a safe and happy life. There are lots of threads about safety on this board including some debate about whether foreigners should keep a gun handy. I was raised in a non-gun culture and have no training in the use and storage of firearms. so I wouldn't consider this option. My Philippine base is near Dumaguete and our house is surrounded by family and friends I have known for 25 years so I have no security problems there. Where I have encountered a few problems over the years is drinking after midnight in port areas or other higher risk areas. For some reason I've always been attracted to places that are a bit rough but as I get older I find it easier to walk away from trouble and I usually take some filipino relatives or mates with me.

I know very little about banking except I have a peso account at the BDO and I transfer money in from aussie. I can also use my aussie ATM savings and credit cards to get 10000 pesos at a time at the BDO ATMs. Again there is lots of good info on this board on how to minimise bank fees.

I have friends in Cebu who have well located townhouses and apartments for around 10K per month. With electricity, internet, cleaning lady etc you should be able to get a good pad for under 15K. Somewhere within striking distance of the City and pushbike distance from a reasonable beach would probably restrict you to Mactan Island. Anyway get a cheap hotel and have a look around. I stay at the Kiwi Lodge because I like the location and people there but there are many accommodation options. You will soon work out what will suit you. And mate please don't fall in love with the first gorgeous girl that shows interest. Your patience will be rewarded. Good luck !

Hi Kevin!

Happy V-Day! Did you get my mail with the muso? Why don't we kick the muso bluzo over to the BluesnJazz thread to make admin happy?

jc

Hi Kevin!

Happy V-Day! Did you get my mail with the muso? Why don't we kick the muso bluzo over to the BluesnJazz thread to make admin happy?

jc

Hi joel,

Something wrong with my yahoo email and my son hasn't been home for a couple of days so I haven't been able to check his hotmail. So no haven't got it yet. I'll try and open another email account and send you the new address.

It's highly unaustralian to wish another man happy valentines day but at huge risk of being labeled a "bloody poofter".....happy valentines day mate. I spent it at our annual Blues in the Night concert with my better half and the kids. Great night. Dave Hole was awesome although it wasn't loud enough for my liking. He has a new CD out "Rough Diamond" so I've got a signed copy of that in case he becomes famous...haha.

Not sure what we can do about the off-topic thing. If we just stuck to PMs we wouldn't have caught Hoz's attention and got all the good info about the Outpost. I'd like to flush out all the blues lovers on the forum so we can meet up one day.

How about a thread "JC's Blues and any other damn topic he feels like discussing....no karaoke, hip hop or disco lovers allowed".

cheers

kevin

This thread is getting pretty poofy for sure. LOLOLOL Joke lang.

I'm surprised that ancienrocka has not chimed in being from down under, but hails from the UK. He's a music maestro for sure.

Edited by Bob Ward
Hi joel,

Something wrong with my yahoo email and my son hasn't been home for a couple of days so I haven't been able to check his hotmail. So no haven't got it yet. I'll try and open another email account and send you the new address.

It's highly unaustralian to wish another man happy valentines day but at huge risk of being labeled a "bloody poofter".....happy valentines day mate. I spent it at our annual Blues in the Night concert with my better half and the kids. Great night. Dave Hole was awesome although it wasn't loud enough for my liking. He has a new CD out "Rough Diamond" so I've got a signed copy of that in case he becomes famous...haha.

Not sure what we can do about the off-topic thing. If we just stuck to PMs we wouldn't have caught Hoz's attention and got all the good info about the Outpost. I'd like to flush out all the blues lovers on the forum so we can meet up one day.

How about a thread "JC's Blues and any other damn topic he feels like discussing....no karaoke, hip hop or disco lovers allowed".

cheers

kevin

YEAH - I LIKE IT! JUST GETTING USED TO FORUM - DIDN'T KNOW THE POTENTIAL! I'M GONNA DO IT!

BTW - Hendrix mail was in my "waiting to send folder!" I just sent it! So go get it, MATE!

btw2 - DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO ALL THE MACHO MAN STUFF! HEH HEH! You're cool, 2!

cheers

kevin

And Kurt Cobain was a p*ssy!

"Road House, yowsa. "Right boot" Patrick Swazee.

I get a kick every time Healy would say to Swayzee, "Word is" or 'I heard".

I've heard all those SRV songs played by 40 and other Ce-blues bands. In fact some are on You Tube from the first Cebu Guitar Festival.

From what I can tell they play all the same stuff I did in the 80's when I was hittin the middle time around the Midwest. Red House, SRV, Cocaine, Crossroads.

"Still Got the Blues"...isn't that the one in a minor key? Walk the root down in half steps? End with minor, major 3rd and major fourth power chords? I think I know that one.

How do you feel about "East/West" by The Butterfield Blues Band?

YUP! I dug Healy's script too! Still Got The blues for You is in 'A' minor! Not sure if you know it by your description. It's not a power chord tune to me; but we all perceive things our own way. I think it's a 16 bar progression, if I remember correctly, all chords properly falling naturally in minor key steps, ending in E7#9 chord (dominant 5th chord fine in minor - a favorite chord used on the 1 particularly - it is certainly a power chord, but it goes many ways)! Send me your email address, and I'll send it to you! It has a great head lead, plus a great lead break! It was a hit when it came out! I learned a lot copping it! Paul Butterfield was my first blues band, after The Blues Project, with two great guitar players and Paul, an amazing harp player/singer, and still the best harp player who ever lived for my money, including the early black dudes, and Charlie Musslewhite! They were my favorite blues band until I heard Johnny Winter, and really got into Albert King! I saw them open up for "The Blues Project" in Greenwich Village in 1966! Total surprise gift! I was with my parents on their 25th Anniversary, after dinner in a sedate restaurant! I booked the tickets. They had no idea what they were in for, and sat through the whole night with their hands in their ears! But they were cool!

Butterfield was in the forefront of the times! Check out "East West!" Not really blues, great improv on eastern scales! The title track still stands up!

jc

PS - Don't worry Alan, I'm moving this over to my new "Talk about whatever we want" thread, soon as you tell me how! heh heh!

YUP! I dug Healy's script too! Still Got The blues for You is in 'A' minor! Not sure if you know it by your description. It's not a power chord tune to me; but we all perceive things our own way. I think it's a 16 bar progression, if I remember correctly, all chords properly falling naturally in minor key steps, ending in E7#9 chord (dominant 5th chord fine in minor - a favorite chord used on the 1 particularly - it is certainly a power chord, but it goes many ways)! Send me your email address, and I'll send it to you! It has a great head lead, plus a great lead break! It was a hit when it came out! I learned a lot copping it! Paul Butterfield was my first blues band, after The Blues Project, with two great guitar players and Paul, an amazing harp player/singer, and still the best harp player who ever lived for my money, including the early black dudes, and Charlie Musslewhite! They were my favorite blues band until I heard Johnny Winter, and really got into Albert King! I saw them open up for "The Blues Project" in Greenwich Village in 1966! Total surprise gift! I was with my parents on their 25th Anniversary, after dinner in a sedate restaurant! I booked the tickets. They had no idea what they were in for, and sat through the whole night with their hands in their ears! But they were cool!

Butterfield was in the forefront of the times! Check out "East West!" Not really blues, great improv on eastern scales! The title track still stands up!

jc

PS - Don't worry Alan, I'm moving this over to my new "Talk about whatever we want" thread, soon as you tell me how! heh heh!

OKAY FOLKS - I DID IT! CHECK OUT THE NEW "JC'S BLUZE.......WHATEVER THREAD JUST POSTED!

FEEL FREE TO MOVE SOME OF THE INFO HERE, TO THERE! I can't, or WON'T! DUMDEEDUMDUMM-WHAAAAAAAA!