OPENING A BANK ACCOUNT!

jc.. joel I thnk you will love it.. Just keep reading up reading on this forum and others.. You got a ton of questions which is great.. You will have to really work on your budget to live on 47K Pesos a month..but it can be done so I've read.. read those budget threads.. Last I read about Skips.. they provided a free campsite outdoor accomodations...hey you cant beat that. Happy packing.. ..

Thanks for your input SAMATM!

I assume you are referring to City living. Even so, I saw a post describing being able to live in cebu City for under $500/month, while quite frugal. However: I plan to live in a more rural area. Please see my post reply to "loosehead," describing my living plans in Daanbantayan or elsewhere; wherever life takes me.

I will certainly check out the budget thread as you suggest.

Thanks, again!

JC

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J C

• loosehead

• hoz

• A_Simple_Man

WOW! KEVIN - DAVE HOLE REALLY BLOWS! I LOVED IT! BEST UNIQUE PLAYER I'VE SEEN SINCE JEFF HEALY IN THE MOVIE "ROAD HOUSE!" HAVE YOU SEEN IT? If not, run right out and rent it! It's a great flick too! It just played on HBO! Do you get HBO? Jeff Healy recently died, too young. He was blind, great singer, and an amazing player; but his playing style, overhand with thumb and fingers has never been duplicated, probably never will! He invented it because he was blind and self taught - truly amazing! Anyway, it's really great to find out that such good musicianship exists in The Philippines! I know Filipinos are great musicians from my experience playing with them here in Las Vegas! In fact, I gigged with a Filipino from Hawaii, for two years here! He is great, a real joy to play with, great singer, player, and a great guy! He is also amazing in his own way, playing a Casio synthesizer guitar that's better than any Roland; he sounds like a great tenor sax, a piano, an organ, a harmonica, a flute, or a great guitar, at will! I had my heart attack on a gig with him on a Saturday night, was in the hospital two and half days, and played the next gigs Fri-Sat, never missed a beat! He talks about it still! heh heh! [$100k bill took most of my savings, insurance was only in NY, and didn't transfer to Las Vegas, this after paying to be covered all my life. I wasn't covered the only time I ever needed it! So it goes.]

What's your opinion of living expense if not in Cebu City! The post above says it might be tight on my $1000/month. I'm still coming with a modest bank account, but I'd rather keep it for security, and to leave something to my future family.

I don't have great needs, being a simple down to earth musician type. I've been told by more than one reliable source that rental outside of cities runs $30-$50/month for two to three bedroom places, in neighborhoods where westerners would want to live, and food is cheap! An American at Skips told me this for Daanbantayan, and a Filipina friend told me the same thing for rental cost, 1500P/month for a two bedroom place, in Davao City, a little east. She earns 3500P/mo. working in a hospital as an intake person, is not a nurse, and lives independently. She just married a Norwegian guy! I actually think I'll have plenty to spare, even after Internet and cable TV! I was told that a registered nurse makes 10,000P/month. I don't need entertainment and eating out every night (I love to cook, used to own a restaurant), just the simple life by the beach, or at least not too far from it! I'll be happy visiting Cebu City once a month to get my rocks off! But I won't be surprised to find jams locally! In fact, there are resorts in Daanbantayan, and on Bantayan Island that book Filipino bands! I heard one; they were top notch pros! I plan to spend most of my time painting, reading, writing, fishing from an outrigger I plan to buy, and enjoying the beach and the sea. I can always hang at Skips at night, too!

What do you think about expenses?

Thanks for your considered advice regarding women. I think you're probably right! The women I am meeting on line are nice, and beautiful, but most are unemployed, and really desperate for money, so they're difficult to trust, as sweet as they are. I am finding out that even school teachers and other professionals may be out of work. One woman I'm talking to is a teacher who taught in a private school but wants to switch to a public school for better benefits; and somehow is out of work now while looking; and she has a 4 yr old kid! It's amazing to me how so many women are left high an dry by Filipino men, who get them pregnant, while married with a family on another island, no less! I have found two of these situations already! Life is bittersweet in PI, right, both happy and sad, because the people are so poor, yet so sweet and naturally happy. Skip has a charity to provide medical care for poor children locally. Even $20 dollars can save a child's life! I understand the hospitals don't treat if not paid up front! What a drag if you're sick and can't pay, as is the case for many still living in Nipa huts. You can find it at the bottom of his links at skipsbeachresort.com I'm planning to contribute monthly once I know my budget of expenses.

I'll meet you in November for sure! Is there a way to send you my private email so we can definitely stay in touch until then, or for you to send me yours? You never know - I may have gone native by then! Heh heh! But I'll always want Internet, for sure, if only to stay in touch with family in the states. It's an amazing worlwide technology, that makes all this possible! TV? As much as I enjoy many shows, I can live without it! It takes my time away from being creative. I can get shows on the Net now, too, right? BTW - I have a female friend who is communicating with a man in New Zealand, and even thinking of moving there if it works out! There are so many single people, all over the world! It's sad.

Love and Happiness to you and your family!

Your new friend,

Joel

One mo' thang! Don't sweat jamming, bro! I'm sure we can play da Bluze together, and that you'll have a few riffs I can learn! It's not a competition. It's music, dats all; it's love! Everyone's got their own thing! If I can get your email, I'll send you some music off my CD demo. Playlist is: 5 Santana tunes:

SMOOTH, MARIA MARIA, EVIL WAYS, NO ONE TO DEPEND ON, BLACK MAGIC WOMAN; and Hendrix: ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER! Due to file size, I can only send one at a time.

One mo' thang! Don't sweat jamming, bro! I'm sure we can play da Bluze together, and that you'll have a few riffs I can learn! It's not a competition. It's music, dats all; it's love! Everyone's got their own thing! If I can get your email, I'll send you some music off my CD demo. Playlist is: 5 Santana tunes:

SMOOTH, MARIA MARIA, EVIL WAYS, NO ONE TO DEPEND ON, BLACK MAGIC WOMAN; and Hendrix: ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER! Due to file size, I can only send one at a time.

Hi Joel

My email is [email protected] I'd really like to hear your stuff.

I'm no muso. Just a music lover and also a Jeff Healy fan. He was brilliant. I'll get a copy of "Road House" and check it out. I've known Dave Hole for 25 years. Great guy and incredible muso who was recently "discovered" by Aligator records and now spends most of his time in the US. He's back in Perth to play at our annual Blues in the Park concert this weekend.

Check out the threads on this site for info about budget. I don't know the rental costs in the north of Cebu island so I'd only be guessing but 1500 a month for rent seems very low. Anyway I'm sure you can survive ok on US$1000 per month once you find your own place and get settled in. Many expats have been living here for many years on similar budgets.

I've seen "Sicko" so I know the medical system in the US is far from perfect. Terrible though that your New York insurance didn't cover you in Las Vegas. Unfortunately the Philippine medical system is also "user pays" so you need to keep some reserve money just in case.

Watch out for some of those girls online. There are some good threads on this site exposing the scams. I'm sure some are genuine but I know many are just trawling for suckers. There are many hard working single women available who are well educated, work in banks, call centres, or other businesses, have excellent english and don't have time to sit around an internet cafe. That's where I'd be aiming.

All the best mate

kevin

Edited by loosehead
Hi Joel

My email is [email protected] I'd really like to hear your stuff.

I'm no muso. Just a music lover and also a Jeff Healy fan. He was brilliant. I'll get a copy of "Road House" and check it out. I've known Dave Hole for 25 years. Great guy and incredible muso who was recently "discovered" by Aligator records and now spends most of his time in the US. He's back in Perth to play at our annual Blues in the Park concert this weekend.

Check out the threads on this site for info about budget. I don't know the rental costs in the north of Cebu island so I'd only be guessing but 1500 a month for rent seems very low. Anyway I'm sure you can survive ok on US$1000 per month once you find your own place and get settled in. Many expats have been living here for many years on similar budgets.

I've seen "Sicko" so I know the medical system in the US is far from perfect. Terrible though that your New York insurance didn't cover you in Las Vegas. Unfortunately the Philippine medical system is also "user pays" so you need to keep some reserve money just in case.

Watch out for some of those girls online. There are some good threads on this site exposing the scams. I'm sure some are genuine but I know many are just trawling for suckers. There are many hard working single women available who are well educated, work in banks, call centres, or other businesses, have excellent english and don't have time to sit around an internet cafe. That's where I'd be aiming.

All the best mate

kevin

Hey Kevin!

I sent "Watchtower" to you, and was about to send "Smooth," but it was returned "undeliverable" - no such yahoo address! As an old user, can't you send me a private message! I realize reluctance to send email address posted publicly!

jc

The Outpost is definitely the place to be. http://theoutpost.multiply.com/

When we were in Cebu Wednesday was jam night. There is an active Blues scene in Cebu. I was pleasantly surprised, 20 years ago when we visited they didn't know anything about the Blues.

Try to hook up with Arnold Ang (Arnot) of 40 the Band (aka Cuarenta). Arnold is known as the "Eric Clapton" of Cebu. His lines are very lyrical. The other guitarist in 40 is Henri Tradio. Henri's style is more balls to the walls like Albert King.

Conte is around but I couldn't find him when we were there last winter. He played with E,W&F when they were in Cebu and then Toto a couple weeks later. I joked that next thing you know he will be backing up The Lettermen! His video posted above is 2 years old BTW.

Edited by hoz

When we were in Cebu Wednesday was jam night. There is an active Blues scene in Cebu. I was pleasantly surprised, 20 years ago when we visited they didn't know anything about the Blues.

Try to hook up with Arnold Ang (Arnot) of 40 the Band (aka Cuarenta). Arnold is known as the "Eric Clapton" of Cebu. His lines are very lyrical. The other guitarist in 40 is Henri Tradio. Henri's style is more balls to the walls like Albert King.

Conte is around but I couldn't find him when we were there last winter. He played with E,W&F when they were in Cebu and then Toto a couple weeks later. I joked that next thing you know he will be backing up The Lettermen! His video posted above is 2 years old BTW.

Thanks for the info Hoz. Hopefully Joel (J C) will get to know the boys and be a part of the scene by the time I get back there. Nice version of Hoochie Coochie Man. The Outpost is a very cool place to hang out and the people there are very friendly.

I'm not keen on bikini bars with crap music and i detest karaoke so it's great that Cebu is improving its live music options all the time.

You're certainly right about Bruce Conte moving across musical styles. I was surprised to find out that he is such a great blues guitarist.

Edited by loosehead
You're certainly right about Bruce Conte moving across musical styles. I was surprised to find out that he is such a great blues guitarist.

Yeah, I figured Conte was picking up some cash by playing with those big names when they came through. Surely they threw him a bone. Big venue too.

I don't think he participated in the last Cebu Guitar Festival. At least there are no vids of him online while there are plenty of the other bands. No money involved I guess.

I jammed with 40 the Band while in Cebu. Their bass guitarist was very accommodating and let me stay up for almost the entire show! They are a great bunch and have been together since the early 80's. They used to be a "big hair" band but have evolved to playing the blues. Arnot Ang is very much into the feeling and is easy to chat with about the genre.

Cool Hoz!

Thanks for the input! The scene sounds great, with so many quality players! I never expected it!

I wish I could post some of my playing hear, but I will send music to anyone who supplies his email to me!

I plan to be there by 1st week in March!

Note re banking! I think, [i hope], that I've gotten the money thing handled. I opened a joint account with my sister in the states, and can remit money to myself whether I have an account in PI or not!

I found a few remittance services on line: www.remithome.com, and xoom.com among them. Xoom seems to be the least expensive, and offers just about every bank in the nation!

Does anyone have experience with either of these two services, and/or any recommendations for best. most reliable remittance service with best exchange rate! they take a good bite!

Another question and additional Information:

The U.S. Treasury now offers a debit card through Comerica bank, into which they deposit social security funds each month! You can receive funds at any bank that honors Master Cars, worldwide.

Any recommendations for a bank with MC, and good exchange rates! Also, do you have any info regarding best fees. Thanks a lot folks! This forum is proving to be an invaluable resource.

JC

Is "PI" proper abbreviation? So tired of always spelling out "The Philippines! :~))

Cool Hoz!

Thanks for the input! The scene sounds great, with so many quality players! I never expected it!

I wish I could post some of my playing hear, but I will send music to anyone who supplies his email to me!

I plan to be there by 1st week in March!

Note re banking! I think, [i hope], that I've gotten the money thing handled. I opened a joint account with my sister in the states, and can remit money to myself whether I have an account in PI or not!

I found a few remittance services on line: www.remithome.com, and xoom.com among them. Xoom seems to be the least expensive, and offers just about every bank in the nation!

Does anyone have experience with either of these two services, and/or any recommendations for best. most reliable remittance service with best exchange rate! they take a good bite!

Another question and additional Information:

The U.S. Treasury now offers a debit card through Comerica bank, into which they deposit social security funds each month! You can receive funds at any bank that honors Master Cars, worldwide.

Any recommendations for a bank with MC, and good exchange rates! Also, do you have any info regarding best fees. Thanks a lot folks! This forum is proving to be an invaluable resource.

JC

Is "PI" proper abbreviation? So tired of always spelling out "The Philippines! :~))

Yo Hoz! Really dig the video! These guys do play really nicely, sweet and lyrically! I play Hoochie Coochie Man as well. But I do it more like Jeff Healy in "Road House," the great flick with Patrick Swayzee! If you haven't seen it, go out of your way to do so! Talkin' about "Balls to the Wall!"

I also dig Johnny Winter's style. He kicks arse! I've kind of hung up my strings to start to draw, eventually to paint, because I kind of got burned out of ocnstantly depending upon other people, and I can do art alone! But these guys at The Outpost have inspired me - so totally unexpected, and gratifying to find! Guess I'll have to start practicing! Heh heh! Now I'm thinking about how to afford living in Cebu City, or nearby! Hey, is it possible to live bicycle distance from a beach for 15,000P/month basic rent? Does anyone over there do, "The sky is Cryin'" by SRV, or "Texas Flood?" Another favorite is "Still Got The Blues For You" by Gary Moore, a truly great player! It's not traditional 1-4-5 12 bar, but what a Song!

Keep it comin'! Love those U-tubes!

JC

Thanks for the info Hoz. Hopefully Joel (J C) will get to know the boys and be a part of the scene by the time I get back there. Nice version of Hoochie Coochie Man. The Outpost is a very cool place to hang out and the people there are very friendly.

I'm not keen on bikini bars with crap music and i detest karaoke so it's great that Cebu is improving its live music options all the time.

Yo Kevin! Hopefully I will. Thanks for the confidence! ;) I guess it depends upon where I end up living! If I can find a place up north for 1500P and a place near the city for 15,000, I'll be there, baby! Like I say, I like living simply, so long as it's safe for my "stuff." I have two axes that I can't live without, an original design that combines the best features of the Les Paul and the Strat; and my '74 Cany Apple Red Strat that I used as a prototype for my original switching system. I can switch from any rythm setting on any pickup (of 3, 2 hummers and a Strat), to any lead settup on any pickup, including the same pickup. Over the years this has stood up against my two dream axes, a '58 Paul (reissue), and a '59 Strat (custom shop). Both are now sold because I just couldn't bring everything I had to my new home, sadly. They were each great axes. But I always played the two I have to keep most anyway, because they stood up well against the standard axes, and played much better. Once I got used to my own switching system, I found it difficult to stick with the standard. Hey, does the guitar factory, Allegre, made any electrics? Also, what are the prices of axes and amps compared to the U.S.?

Before I found out that I could ship by volume and not weight, I sold a 1980 100W Marshall half stack, and an original Boogie Mark I with a 1936 Marshall 2-speaker bottom! I really regret it now! They were my sets forever!

I sent you "All Along The Watchtower" again! Please let me know if you don't get it, and maybe send me another address, or confirm original one!

BTW - can you tell how to post my picture here?

jc

Yo Kevin! Hopefully I will. Thanks for the confidence! ;) I guess it depends upon where I end up living! If I can find a place up north for 1500P and a place near the city for 15,000, I'll be there, baby! Like I say, I like living simply, so long as it's safe for my "stuff." I have two axes that I can't live without, an original design that combines the best features of the Les Paul and the Strat; and my '74 Cany Apple Red Strat that I used as a prototype for my original switching system. I can switch from any rythm setting on any pickup (of 3, 2 hummers and a Strat), to any lead settup on any pickup, including the same pickup. Over the years this has stood up against my two dream axes, a '58 Paul (reissue), and a '59 Strat (custom shop). Both are now sold because I just couldn't bring everything I had to my new home, sadly. They were each great axes. But I always played the two I have to keep most anyway, because they stood up well against the standard axes, and played much better. Once I got used to my own switching system, I found it difficult to stick with the standard. Hey, does the guitar factory, Allegre, made any electrics? Also, what are the prices of axes and amps compared to the U.S.?

Before I found out that I could ship by volume and not weight, I sold a 1980 100W Marshall half stack, and an original Boogie Mark I with a 1936 Marshall 2-speaker bottom! I really regret it now! They were my sets forever!

I sent you "All Along The Watchtower" again! Please let me know if you don't get it, and maybe send me another address, or confirm original one!

BTW - can you tell how to post my picture here?

jc

Candy Apple Red -

Candy Apple Red -

I posted my picture (drop down menu) and profile, but still having difficulty with rest of personal info, signature, etc. Like, how do I list you as a friend?

Yo' Kev!

Did you see the thread about preventing murder in Cebu! I'm doing my best not to be freaked out! And I grew up in New York City, feeling safe my whole life! One guy says if you marry the wrong girl, her ex can come after you! Geez! "Don't be too friendly with neighbors!" Geez! Tha't's not what I expect from The PI! Is this prevalent only in the city and neaby suburbs like Talisay, where I saw a nice condo for around $500/mo. listed as in a safe neighborhood!

I'm beginning to see the realities I've been unaware of. I just want a nice peaceful life! Any suggestions!

JC

ps - I posted my picture.

Yo Hoz! Really dig the video! These guys do play really nicely, sweet and lyrically! I play Hoochie Coochie Man as well. But I do it more like Jeff Healy in "Road House," the great flick with Patrick Swayzee! If you haven't seen it, go out of your way to do so! Talkin' about "Balls to the Wall!"

Does anyone over there do, "The sky is Cryin'" by SRV, or "Texas Flood?" Another favorite is "Still Got The Blues For You" by Gary Moore, a truly great player! It's not traditional 1-4-5 12 bar, but what a Song!

Keep it comin'! Love those U-tubes!

JC

"Road House, yowsa. "Right boot" Patrick Swazee.

I get a kick every time Healy would say to Swayzee, "Word is" or 'I heard".

I've heard all those SRV songs played by 40 and other Ce-blues bands. In fact some are on You Tube from the first Cebu Guitar Festival.

From what I can tell they play all the same stuff I did in the 80's when I was hittin the middle time around the Midwest. Red House, SRV, Cocaine, Crossroads.

"Still Got the Blues"...isn't that the one in a minor key? Walk the root down in half steps? End with minor, major 3rd and major fourth power chords? I think I know that one.

How do you feel about "East/West" by The Butterfield Blues Band?

JC you are a mind reader. Two of the discs I have on my 3 disc player this morning are Stevie Ray Vaughan and Gary Moore. The other is John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, the music that turned me on to the blues when I was a kid in the late 60's. Confirming my email is [email protected] but if that doesn't work. please send to my son [email protected]

I haven't been to New York but I feel way safer in Cebu than I did in LA and other US cities. The basic precautions you took in New York should be more than adequate for Cebu. Of course you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time but people who exercise a little common sense and treat the local people with respect generally lead a safe and happy life. There are lots of threads about safety on this board including some debate about whether foreigners should keep a gun handy. I was raised in a non-gun culture and have no training in the use and storage of firearms. so I wouldn't consider this option. My Philippine base is near Dumaguete and our house is surrounded by family and friends I have known for 25 years so I have no security problems there. Where I have encountered a few problems over the years is drinking after midnight in port areas or other higher risk areas. For some reason I've always been attracted to places that are a bit rough but as I get older I find it easier to walk away from trouble and I usually take some filipino relatives or mates with me.

I know very little about banking except I have a peso account at the BDO and I transfer money in from aussie. I can also use my aussie ATM savings and credit cards to get 10000 pesos at a time at the BDO ATMs. Again there is lots of good info on this board on how to minimise bank fees.

I have friends in Cebu who have well located townhouses and apartments for around 10K per month. With electricity, internet, cleaning lady etc you should be able to get a good pad for under 15K. Somewhere within striking distance of the City and pushbike distance from a reasonable beach would probably restrict you to Mactan Island. Anyway get a cheap hotel and have a look around. I stay at the Kiwi Lodge because I like the location and people there but there are many accommodation options. You will soon work out what will suit you. And mate please don't fall in love with the first gorgeous girl that shows interest. Your patience will be rewarded. Good luck !

Edited by loosehead