OPENING A BANK ACCOUNT!

Hi Folks!

I'm moving to Cebu soon. I plan to be outside the city, north, in Baantayan; but I know the city will be my financial center.

Obviously I have many questions and unknowns I really need to be answered to facilitate my move.

I would greatly appreciate advice regarding getting my funds safely to, and keeping them safe in Cebu. I found RCBC BANK "REMITTANCES." IT IS A WAY TO TRANSFER MONEY TO MYSELF.

Does anyone know about the security of 'Remittances?" Q - Can the person sending the remittance, cancel it before it is picked up?

What is necessary to open an account immediately? How have you all handled the problem of bringing your funds to Cebu?

I have a Filipino shipper in the states who says he can get me a referral letter, that will ensure I can open an account immediately. Is this standard practice. I have been looking for this. In addition, I'd rather not have all funds in one bank, so I want to open multiple accounts.

Where to keep passport and ID, other valuables safely? Can I rent a Safety Deposit Box in a bank without having an account there?

Can anyone tell me where the nearest Post office is to Cebu Business Hotel, and also if they rent boxes!

Any and all information regarding getting started re financial concerns will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

JC

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J C

• loosehead

• hoz

• A_Simple_Man

A_Simple_Man

This is a topic with many pages of replies on previous threads. Here is an example of one.

Without an ACR card or other proof of residence, is it possible to open a bank account?

I see it is your first post so Welcome to the Forums. Check out the thread I marked here because there is just too much info to repeat each time someone asks this question but if you have questions that you cannot find the answer to . . ask.

Can anyone tell me where the nearest Post office is to Cebu Business Hotel, and also if they rent boxes!

Cebu Main Postal Office near Plaza Independencia. Box rent is 650 pesos per year.

J C, do note that, while living on Bantayan Island, there is one, I repeat, ONE bank that offers an ATM. If it is not functioning, you will have to go back to Bogo, I believe, to use an ATM.

Otherwise, you can go to the Bank of Commerce, as one of the members here works there. She can help you set up a USD account, as well as a Piso account, if you wish.

J C, do note that, while living on Bantayan Island, there is one, I repeat, ONE bank that offers an ATM. If it is not functioning, you will have to go back to Bogo, I believe, to use an ATM.

Otherwise, you can go to the Bank of Commerce, as one of the members here works there. She can help you set up a USD account, as well as a Piso account, if you wish.

Thank you very much. How do I contact her. Is it easy to find The Bank of Commerce? I definitely want to have an account there. Can you give me her name and what to do to contact her. I will be not too far from Bogo, as I will be staying at Skips Beach Resort when I first arrrive to have a much needed vacation, rest, get my bearings and set up my initial address, probably in Daanbantayan. So far I have decided to be on the main island for easier access to Cebu City. In Daanbantayan I will also be near the island of Bantayan. Of course I remain open to all eventualities as to where I'll end up residing. There are so many possibilities. I really want to be close enough to a beach to walk and swim/snorkel every morning, for my health, to get back into and to stay in shape. I cannot afford a "western style" condo community, and actually think I'd prefer to live among the Filipino population. I majored in Anthropology, studied many cultures including Pacific Island cultures, and I've always felt a little like a "Stranger in a Strange Land" in America. I've always related more to other cultures in many ways, and feel that my move to The Philippines is a natural result of a lifelong path. I am very optimistic, despite much negativity from friends and associates. I am undaunted.

Another subject: As a blues guitarist, I have heard about a blues club in Cebu City. Does anyone have any information about it. Is it an ongoing live music venue where musicians jam? Every night? Just on Weekend nights? Are there Filipino music clubs? I know that Filipinos are excellent musicians, so I'll be surprised if there aren't. Thanks.

Cebu Main Postal Office near Plaza Independencia. Box rent is 650 pesos per year.

Thanks. This is a big help!

I'm interested in knowing where people live, what the life is like, how happy you are there, and why.

I know moving around seeking the best place would be fairly normal. This great forum is an incredible resource! I'm just becoming aware of it, and don't even know how to use it and participate yet.

Thank you very much. How do I contact her. Is it easy to find The Bank of Commerce? I definitely want to have an account there. Can you give me her name and what to do to contact her. I will be not too far from Bogo, as I will be staying at Skips Beach Resort when I first arrrive to have a much needed vacation, rest, get my bearings and set up my initial address, probably in Daanbantayan. So far I have decided to be on the main island for easier access to Cebu City. In Daanbantayan I will also be near the island of Bantayan. Of course I remain open to all eventualities as to where I'll end up residing. There are so many possibilities. I really want to be close enough to a beach to walk and swim/snorkel every morning, for my health, to get back into and to stay in shape. I cannot afford a "western style" condo community, and actually think I'd prefer to live among the Filipino population. I majored in Anthropology, studied many cultures including Pacific Island cultures, and I've always felt a little like a "Stranger in a Strange Land" in America. I've always related more to other cultures in many ways, and feel that my move to The Philippines is a natural result of a lifelong path. I am very optimistic, despite much negativity from friends and associates. I am undaunted.

Thank you very much. How do I contact her. Is it easy to find The Bank of Commerce? Another subject: As a blues guitarist, I have heard about a blues club in Cebu City. Does anyone have any information about it. Is it an ongoing live music venue where musicians jam? Every night? Just on Weekend nights? Are there Filipino music clubs? I know that Filipinos are excellent musicians, so I'll be surprised if there aren't. Thanks.

Here is a link to two sites for you, in the Link System on the forums: Click here

JC - The blues club you refer to is probably the Jazznbluz Club. It is a nice place but the music is more Frank Sinatra than Robert Johnson and the guitarists are more Santana than Clapton. The bands that play there are very good musicians and they have professional male dancers who try and get the female customers up and jiving. Go after midnight when the music becomes a bit more lively.

For a more relaxed jam type atmosphere you could try the outpost at Lahug. It seems more of a musos club where they all know each other and jam together. Anyway if you have a chat to the boys at the outpost, I'm sure they will point you in the right direction. It is the home of the Cebu Guitar Festival. Former Tower of Power guitarst Bruce Conte played at the Outpost in December 07. Here's the video:

Another good place to go is Slabado for rock music. You may get warned about safety from people who haven't been there for a while as it had a bit of a reputation many years ago. I was there 2 weeks ago and the atmosphere was so friendly and the music so good I went home and got the wife and kids.

Until I found the live music scene in Cebu I was planing a quiet retirement in Dumaguete. Now I'm convinced Cebu is the only place to live.

Back to banking, I have heard from friends that the manager of the Bogo branch of the BDO is a really good guy who has assisted many foreigners to establish peso accounts.

Best of luck

Edited by loosehead
JC - The blues club you refer to is probably the Jazznbluz Club. It is a nice place but the music is more Frank Sinatra than Robert Johnson and the guitarists are more Santana than Clapton. The bands that play there are very good musicians and they have professional male dancers who try and get the female customers up and jiving. Go after midnight when the music becomes a bit more lively.

For a more relaxed jam type atmosphere you could try the outpost at Lahug. It seems more of a musos club where they all know each other and jam together. Anyway if you have a chat to the boys at the outpost, I'm sure they will point you in the right direction. It is the home of the Cebu Guitar Festival. Former Tower of Power guitarst Bruce Conte played at the Outpost in December 07. Here's the video:

Another good place to go is Slabado for rock music. You may get warned about safety from people who haven't been there for a while as it had a bit of a reputation many years ago. I was there 2 weeks ago and the atmosphere was so friendly and the music so good I went home and got the wife and kids.

Until I found the live music scene in Cebu I was planing a quiet retirement in Dumaguete. Now I'm convinced Cebu is the only place to live.

Back to banking, I have heard from friends that the manager of the Bogo branch of the BDO is a really good guy who has assisted many foreigners to establish peso accounts.

Best of luck

Thank you so much "loosehead." Since I am a pro guitarist whose had a Santana Tribute Band, I definitely will check out JazzNblues. But I will also check them all out. It's always nice to have choices!

I love Rock and pure blues, and funk/R&B as well!

BTW - What does BDO stand for? Bank of ????

Thanks again!

jc

Thank you so much "loosehead." Since I am a pro guitarist whose had a Santana Tribute Band, I definitely will check out JazzNblues. But I will also check them all out. It's always nice to have choices!

I love Rock and pure blues, and funk/R&B as well!

BTW - What does BDO stand for? Bank of ????

Thanks again!

jc

Hi Again!

Just saw the Utube video! Cool! He's a good blues player - a little Albert King - Crasscut Saw!

Cool! I'm getting excited! Probably play some Muddy, and Hendrix! Red House, baby! Watchtower, too!

Groovin'!

jc

Hi JC

BDO = Banco De Oro.

Yes Bruce Conte is a very good blues guitarist and I also like the funk stuff he did with Tower of Power. I'm told he has a girlfriend in Cebu so you never know when he might turn up at the Outpost for a jam. I'm also a big Hendrix and Muddy fan. I went to an open air place in Cebu a few weeks ago (called Papa's I think) and there was a band there playing very good covers including Hendrix and Pink Floyd.

The live music scene in Cebu is great, cheap cover charges and drinks and the local musos are approachable and friendly. There is a lack of any sort of "gig guide" so you need muso friends to get the word about where the best bands are playing.

From your post about feeling a "stranger in a strange land" in the US and wanting to experience other cultures, it seems to me you have exactly the right attitude to live in the Phils. But you might get bored up the province like I do with all that sun, sand and healthy living and be drawn back to Cebu for the buzz and nightlife. I'm not in Cebu at the moment or I would take you out and show you around.

Best of luck mate, go for it and don't listen to advice from friends at home who have never experienced a wonderful place like Cebu.

cheers

kevin

Hi JC

BDO = Banco De Oro.

Yes Bruce Conte is a very good blues guitarist and I also like the funk stuff he did with Tower of Power. I'm told he has a girlfriend in Cebu so you never know when he might turn up at the Outpost for a jam. I'm also a big Hendrix and Muddy fan. I went to an open air place in Cebu a few weeks ago (called Papa's I think) and there was a band there playing very good covers including Hendrix and Pink Floyd.

The live music scene in Cebu is great, cheap cover charges and drinks and the local musos are approachable and friendly. There is a lack of any sort of "gig guide" so you need muso friends to get the word about where the best bands are playing.

From your post about feeling a "stranger in a strange land" in the US and wanting to experience other cultures, it seems to me you have exactly the right attitude to live in the Phils. But you might get bored up the province like I do with all that sun, sand and healthy living and be drawn back to Cebu for the buzz and nightlife. I'm not in Cebu at the moment or I would take you out and show you around.

Best of luck mate, go for it and don't listen to advice from friends at home who have never experienced a wonderful place like Cebu.

cheers

kevin

Hi Kevin!

You're definitley a good guy, and I'd like to know you and hang with you! We have the same musical tastes, that's for sure! I'm a pretty good player, though I never "made it," I came close. I recorded with Merle Saunders/Jerry Garcia, and one sub gig with The Doobies in the '70's; and I'm much better now, of course. Byron Allred, a good friend, played keys/synth with Steve Miller for 20 years immediately after playing with me in San Francisco/Berkely in the 70's. I'd love to play some Hendrix for you. I do my best to cop him note for note, most can't tell the difference. I'm 65 now, and starting to focus some energy on oil painting like my dad. Hey, Call me Joel "Gaugin!" Ha ha!

I'm still in America but coming very soon.

The reason I'm going to Daanbantayan up north is www.skipsbeachresort.com Check it out. Unfortunately Skip, Bruce Lee's 3rd student in America and part of his core group, recently died; but it still sounds like a great place to go to get my bearings, and get started! They're beautiful folks up there. His son, Chip is a guitar/bass player and has his own band at 14! I plan to give him a Strat, and teach him what I know. I know what it's like to lose a father, so this will be my gift to him. he doesn't even know I exist yet!

Your advice has been excellent. I've had friends tell me how dangerous, corrupt and awful The Philippines is, but I've ignored them. I also have friends who tell me how wonderful it is; and of course there's this forum and others. If I came to Cebu City directly, I feel I'd be lost as to where to live, decent neighborhoods, etc., so I'll visit often and get to know it gradually. My income is only $1004/month and I want to be able to live well on it, so I have to be frugal, and careful in choosing where to live, especially since I want to find a woman and even have a child. Maybe a place like Danao, that is only an hour away might be best for me. But I definitely have to be able to walk or bicycle to a beach for my health and happiness, every day! I had a heart attack two years ago, even though I've been relatively thin all my life, and didn't eat red meat for thirty years - a real shick to my system and psyche! But I'm pretty cool now! I need to exercise, and I love to snorkel! I am still unfamiliar with most of the surrounding geography around Ceby City. Daanbantayan is three hours drive. If I can be on a beach, so I can get that required exercise every day, I'd prefer to be much closer to the city.

I'm unfamiliar with the term "Muso." I assume it means a native resident, born and raised there.

Where are you now, man!? I'd love to hook up with you when you get back! You used the term "mate." Are you an Aussie, dude? ;~) (Read, Awsome dude!)

Thanks again for all the good info! You're great! Wanna jam!

JC

ps - Can you drink the tap water on the island? Do people put in filters or only drink bottled water? Must I be concerned about eating fresh salad in restaurants, or is everything cool regarding food?

Also: I know there's no malaria on Cebu. Does that mean there are no mosquitoes at all? No Dengue fever? And last but not least, do I have to watch out for cobras or a poisonous spider in the rural/jungle areas or even in the city. I'm not afraid of them, actually quite interested as an amatuer naturalist, but I just want to know what precautions might be necessary. Thanks again for everything! You're great!

You've helped to confirm, and make me happier and more confident about my choice to move there! That feeling is invaluable?

Now, I just have to get there, and start dealing with the realities of setting up my new life, and renewing my visa every three weeks! Wow! I hope that can become a much longer period of time!

Love and Happiness, Kevin!

Joel

jc.. joel I thnk you will love it.. Just keep reading up reading on this forum and others.. You got a ton of questions which is great.. You will have to really work on your budget to live on 47K Pesos a month..but it can be done so I've read.. read those budget threads.. Last I read about Skips.. they provided a free campsite outdoor accomodations...hey you cant beat that. Happy packing.. ..

Hi Joel

muso = musician...apologies for the aussie slang. When they see you play, the musos in cebu will treat you like a long lost brother. I'm a kiwi (new zealander) married to a filipina from Dumaguete since 1986 and living in Perth, Australia. As soon as our youngest kid is 18, (4 years) we will be retiring in Cebu. I won't be back in Cebu until November so hopefully we can catch up for the guitar festival. Not sure if I'm up to jamming with you but I'll be happy to fetch the beers and pour the rums.

I think it's great that you are going to give Skip's son a guitar and teach him your stuff. I haven't been to Bogo but I heard it's real nice. Don't be in too much of a hurry to hook up with a woman. To say there is no shortage is a massive understatement. Others on this site will disagree with me but my advice is to aim high and get an educated independent woman with a good job who has a family with a strong work ethic. Avoid bar girls and other underemployed women who have nothing better to do than shag, gossip and spend your money. If you rent a house or apartment and make it clear to your neighbours and new friends what you are looking for, the introductions will happen.

Check out our own Perth bluesman Dave Hole and his unique overhand slide style

cheers

kevin

Hi Joel

muso = musician...apologies for the aussie slang. When they see you play, the musos in cebu will treat you like a long lost brother. I'm a kiwi (new zealander) married to a filipina from Dumaguete since 1986 and living in Perth, Australia. As soon as our youngest kid is 18, (4 years) we will be retiring in Cebu. I won't be back in Cebu until November so hopefully we can catch up for the guitar festival. Not sure if I'm up to jamming with you but I'll be happy to fetch the beers and pour the rums.

I think it's great that you are going to give Skip's son a guitar and teach him your stuff. I haven't been to Bogo but I heard it's real nice. Don't be in too much of a hurry to hook up with a woman. To say there is no shortage is a massive understatement. Others on this site will disagree with me but my advice is to aim high and get an educated independent woman with a good job who has a family with a strong work ethic. Avoid bar girls and other underemployed women who have nothing better to do than shag, gossip and spend your money. If you rent a house or apartment and make it clear to your neighbours and new friends what you are looking for, the introductions will happen.

Check out our own Perth bluesman Dave Hole and his unique overhand slide style

cheers

kevin

WOW! KEVIN - DAVE HOLE REALLY BLOWS! I LOVED IT! BEST UNIQUE PLAYER I'VE SEEN SINCE JEFF HEALY IN THE MOVIE "ROAD HOUSE!" HAVE YOU SEEN IT? If not, run right out and rent it! It's a great flick too! It just played on HBO! Do you get HBO? Jeff Healy recently died, too young. He was blind, great singer, and an amazing player; but his playing style, overhand with thumb and fingers has never been duplicated, probably never will! He invented it because he was blind and self taught - truly amazing! Anyway, it's really great to find out that such good musicianship exists in The Philippines! I know Filipinos are great musicians from my experience playing with them here in Las Vegas! In fact, I gigged with a Filipino from Hawaii, for two years here! He is great, a real joy to play with, great singer, player, and a great guy! He is also amazing in his own way, playing a Casio synthesizer guitar that's better than any Roland; he sounds like a great tenor sax, a piano, an organ, a harmonica, a flute, or a great guitar, at will! I had my heart attack on a gig with him on a Saturday night, was in the hospital two and half days, and played the next gigs Fri-Sat, never missed a beat! He talks about it still! heh heh! [$100k bill took most of my savings, insurance was only in NY, and didn't transfer to Las Vegas, this after paying to be covered all my life. I wasn't covered the only time I ever needed it! So it goes.]

What's your opinion of living expense if not in Cebu City! The post above says it might be tight on my $1000/month. I'm still coming with a modest bank account, but I'd rather keep it for security, and to leave something to my future family.

I don't have great needs, being a simple down to earth musician type. I've been told by more than one reliable source that rental outside of cities runs $30-$50/month for two to three bedroom places, in neighborhoods where westerners would want to live, and food is cheap! An American at Skips told me this for Daanbantayan, and a Filipina friend told me the same thing for rental cost, 1500P/month for a two bedroom place, in Davao City, a little east. She earns 3500P/mo. working in a hospital as an intake person, is not a nurse, and lives independently. She just married a Norwegian guy! I actually think I'll have plenty to spare, even after Internet and cable TV! I was told that a registered nurse makes 10,000P/month. I don't need entertainment and eating out every night (I love to cook, used to own a restaurant), just the simple life by the beach, or at least not too far from it! I'll be happy visiting Cebu City once a month to get my rocks off! But I won't be surprised to find jams locally! In fact, there are resorts in Daanbantayan, and on Bantayan Island that book Filipino bands! I heard one; they were top notch pros! I plan to spend most of my time painting, reading, writing, fishing from an outrigger I plan to buy, and enjoying the beach and the sea. I can always hang at Skips at night, too!

What do you think about expenses?

Thanks for your considered advice regarding women. I think you're probably right! The women I am meeting on line are nice, and beautiful, but most are unemployed, and really desperate for money, so they're difficult to trust, as sweet as they are. I am finding out that even school teachers and other professionals may be out of work. One woman I'm talking to is a teacher who taught in a private school but wants to switch to a public school for better benefits; and somehow is out of work now while looking; and she has a 4 yr old kid! It's amazing to me how so many women are left high an dry by Filipino men, who get them pregnant, while married with a family on another island, no less! I have found two of these situations already! Life is bittersweet in PI, right, both happy and sad, because the people are so poor, yet so sweet and naturally happy. Skip has a charity to provide medical care for poor children locally. Even $20 dollars can save a child's life! I understand the hospitals don't treat if not paid up front! What a drag if you're sick and can't pay, as is the case for many still living in Nipa huts. You can find it at the bottom of his links at skipsbeachresort.com I'm planning to contribute monthly once I know my budget of expenses.

I'll meet you in November for sure! Is there a way to send you my private email so we can definitely stay in touch until then, or for you to send me yours? You never know - I may have gone native by then! Heh heh! But I'll always want Internet, for sure, if only to stay in touch with family in the states. It's an amazing worlwide technology, that makes all this possible! TV? As much as I enjoy many shows, I can live without it! It takes my time away from being creative. I can get shows on the Net now, too, right? BTW - I have a female friend who is communicating with a man in New Zealand, and even thinking of moving there if it works out! There are so many single people, all over the world! It's sad.

Love and Happiness to you and your family!

Your new friend,

Joel