Filipino supplies in HK

Does anyone know of a good store for Filipino ingredients in HK?

I know this may be a long shot, but my GF and I are cooking in HK and can't really find good sources for filipino ingredients (at least not in the big grocery chains which focus on Chinese, Japanese and Western). I have several filipino friends who I will certainly ask, when I get back there, but they are mostly working in the Wan Chai area and we are in Quarry Bay area.

Any recommendations or info is appreciated.

Does anyone know of a good store for Filipino ingredients in HK?

I know this may be a long shot, but my GF and I are cooking in HK and can't really find good sources for filipino ingredients (at least not in the big grocery chains which focus on Chinese, Japanese and Western). I have several filipino friends who I will certainly ask, when I get back there, but they are mostly working in the Wan Chai area and we are in Quarry Bay area.

Any recommendations or info is appreciated.

My memory is foggy, must be from the drinks I had there, but there is a restaurant/bar at the corner of the L shape of Lan Kwai Fong toward the top of the hill. Can't remember the darn name of the place but the bar manager, named Dennis, and 98% of the staff, are Filipinos and they will know. I've seen shops there but can't produce directions.

My memory is foggy, must be from the drinks I had there, but there is a restaurant/bar at the corner of the L shape of Lan Kwai Fong toward the top of the hill. Can't remember the darn name of the place but the bar manager, named Dennis, and 98% of the staff, are Filipinos and they will know. I've seen shops there but can't produce directions.

Salamat Bob.

If it's the resto/bar with the guard rails along the side walk, right outside of the place, then I know where you are talking about. I will be in LKF soon enough, so will check them out.

Say "Hey" to 'K', for 'M' and I!

Salamat Bob.

If it's the resto/bar with the guard rails along the side walk, right outside of the place, then I know where you are talking about. I will be in LKF soon enough, so will check them out.

Say "Hey" to 'K', for 'M' and I!

Kristine will remember the name. I need to send Dennis some dried dangit that I forgot to send. You can't miss the place. Walk up the hill and when you have to turn left, it's on your left. 2 story place

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, there are certainly small stores catering for the local Filipino community - have seen a number when walking around different parts of Hong Kong. Wanchai has several round near the Wanchai Market I think and in the small streets between Johnston Road and Queen's Road East. There's one on Western Street in Sai Ying Pun going up the hill from Des Voeux Road. Plenty of small Thai stores as well and some Indonesian. I will try to be a bit more specific on locations if I see any on my travels. Not sure about Quarry Bay as I don't get out to that part of town much at all. Not sure how long you are here...

thanks pete.. acutally Thai spices and mamy instant noodles are on my shopping list to bring back to CEBU. I will look for those Thai shops etc Did you say on Sai Ying Pun going up from Des Voeux sts. If possible could you clarify where I might could find good thai ingredients?

Hecks maybe somebody has a great tha / se asian shop recommendation for CEBU? I'll be in HK tomorrow and will spend most of my time the next couple of days in Kowloon, but I will get up by the HKU area at some point.

'

Between Wanchai and Causeway bay MTR stations there is a small shop on Tin Lok Lane called Little Quiapo selling filipino goods. The shop assistant is a buxom lass named Rhadz and a friend of mine, she'll sort you out for what you need. Also in the World Wide mall in Central there are a tonne of hole in the wall Pinoy stores on levels 2-4.

Bob, danggit is worth more than gold here! I was asked to bring some back by a wanchai barmaid after xmas. When i returned with a big bag of it all the Pinay barmaids and waitresses had a caniption and raced to see it/feel it/smell it like a flock of 1 legged seagulls to a half eaten fish and chip dinner.......or akin to Cebu expats to free beer.

Needless to say I brought 6 bags back from my last trip...................... a mans gotta have some leverage :lmao:

^ Mate, me thinks there is a business opportunity here, or mass leverage anyway. LOLOL Kristine's parents wholesale the best danggit from Masbate. We could make P10 per kg. LOLOLOLOL

thanks pete.. acutally Thai spices and mamy instant noodles are on my shopping list to bring back to CEBU. I will look for those Thai shops etc Did you say on Sai Ying Pun going up from Des Voeux sts. If possible could you clarify where I might could find good thai ingredients?

Hecks maybe somebody has a great tha / se asian shop recommendation for CEBU? I'll be in HK tomorrow and will spend most of my time the next couple of days in Kowloon, but I will get up by the HKU area at some point.

'

The Filipino shop I saw was at the northern (harbour) end of Western Street, below the Western Magistrates Court Building. The shops for Thai and Filipino foods tend to concentrate in the older areas where rents are cheaper. If you take a stroll around Wanchai Market - say from Spring Garden Lane - I'm sure you will find a few. Same in Western District and Sheung Wan - look for the older areas and buildings. Sorry I can't help much with Kowloon. Hardly ever go there despite living here for over 25 years!