Sign in to follow this  
Rocketman

Risk of Kidnapping in Southern Cebu

Rocketman

Add this to DU30's comment this morning about Americans being monkeys because the sale of guns to the RP was stopped.  I think he wanted separation......

dos_image.jpg

United States Embassy Manila

Security Message for U.S. Citizens:  Risk of Kidnapping in Southern Cebu

November 03, 2016

The U.S. Embassy alerts U.S. citizens that terrorist groups are planning to conduct kidnappings in areas frequented by foreigners on the southern portion of Cebu Island, specifically the areas around Dalaguete and Santander (to include Sumilon Island).

U.S. citizens should avoid travel to these areas and are reminded to review personal security plans; remain aware of their surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates.  Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.  

Furthermore, the Embassy wishes to remind all U.S. citizens of the most recent Department of State Worldwide Caution, dated September 13, 2016, which indicates there is an ongoing threat of terrorist actions and violence against United States citizens and interests abroad, including the Philippines.  Extremists have targeted sporting events, theaters, markets, mass transportation systems – including airlines, and other public venues where large crowds gather.  Crowded nightclubs, shopping malls, buses, and popular restaurants have also been targets.  The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens of the importance of taking preventative measures to ensure their safety and security while traveling and residing in the Philippines‎. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For further information:

·         See the State Department's travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Philippines Country Specific Information.

·         Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. 

·         Contact the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines, located at 1201 Roxas Boulevard, at +(63) (2) 301-2000, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(63) (2) 301-2000.

·         Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

Edited by SkyMan
Please use the quote feature to separate your personal comments from the official statement.

gasturbine

This warning has been in effect for at least10 years. Everyone should know the southern Philippines is risky for foreigners. IT is reasonably safe in the large population areas like Manila and Cebu City.  But you should not be complacent.

TheWhiteKnight

This warning has been in effect for at least10 years. Everyone should know the southern Philippines is risky for foreigners. IT is reasonably safe in the large population areas like Manila and Cebu City.  But you should not be complacent.

That is not true, this is talking about Southern CEBU! Usually it's southern Philippines.

• Like 9

Soarking

I was in Dalaguete yesterday.

If I would have known this I probably would have stayed home.

• Like 1

Mikala

Everyone should know the southern Philippines is risky for foreigners

I recommend you consult a map, as even Duterte knows where the "southern Philippines" is located.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/09/duterte-forces-southern-philippines-160913003704576.html

Saying that the south part of Cebu island belongs to "southern Philippines" would be like saying Kansas is part of the American South... :)

Alk

With 4,000 foreigners living in the Dumaguete area, I would think that would be a far more likely target. Besides Similan Island, I don't think there are that many foreigners in the extreme South part of Cebu. It is a slightly easier sprint back to Basilan island from southern Negros for terrorists doing any kindnapping in that area.

• Like 1

to_dave007

With 4,000 foreigners living in the Dumaguete area, I would think that would be a far more likely target. Besides Similan Island, I don't think there are that many foreigners in the extreme South part of Cebu. It is a slightly easier sprint back to Basilan island from southern Negros for terrorists doing any kindnapping in that area.

I should think that one thing that would make Similan attractive is that it's relatively quiet and is a diving location, which means the boats head out to dive sites..  It means that groups of foreigners would be miles out to sea and fairly easy to scoop up, and be a long way away before the alarm was raised.  I think Dumaguete would be TOO busy..  and that would make it less attractive.  I mean it seems they like groups of 2 to 5 persons.

But what do I know..  I'm not that familiar with that part of Cebu.. or Negros.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 4

Alk

I should think that one thing that would make Similan attractive is that it's relatively quiet and is a diving location, which means the boats head out to dive sites..  It means that groups of foreigners would be miles out to sea and fairly easy to scoop up, and be a long way away before the alarm was raised.  I think Dumaguete would be TOO busy..  and that would make it less attractive.  I mean it seems they like groups of 2 to 5 persons.

Hi Dave,

Yes, that makes sense. Apo island south of Dumaguete also has plenty of divers and is south of the busy Dumaguete/Siquijor sea route.

Maybe they need to start manning the old watch tower in downtown Dumaguete that was built to keep track of Muslim pirates(lol)?

• Like 3

Oz Jon

The US Embassy gave a heads-up about potential problems at "Sumilon Island".

I hadn't noticed, but that got converted to "Similan Island" in a couple of later posts.

Not knowing where that was, I went looking for it on Google Earth

It turns out to be about 50 miles west of the Phang-Nga Navy Base, Thailand! - that seemed a bit unlikely! - so back to the source.

I now know that the US Embassy's geography/spelling is better than LinC's - :D

b7335920

How come these kidnappers never focus on the mango ave area in cebu city ? Lots of foreigners there , especially at night . Might not be a lot of ransom opportunities but each target will have at least a few thousand pesos on him . Might be considered too dangerous place for kidnappers to go

Jack_be_nimble

The US Embassy gave a heads-up about potential problems at "Sumilon Island".

I hadn't noticed, but that got converted to "Similan Island" in a couple of later posts.

Not knowing where that was, I went looking for it on Google Earth

It turns out to be about 50 miles west of the Phang-Nga Navy Base, Thailand! - that seemed a bit unlikely! - so back to the source.

I now know that the US Embassy's geography/spelling is better than LinC's - :D

The Sumilon island is about 2km east of Santander.  A timy island only approx 700 meters wide. It think it has just one small dive resort and a lighthouse. But not sure what else. I"ve never been there. Just pulled the info from maps. That small resort is quite pricey.

Edited by Jack_be_nimble

Paul

How come these kidnappers never focus on the mango ave area in cebu city ? Lots of foreigners there , especially at night . Might not be a lot of ransom opportunities but each target will have at least a few thousand pesos on him . Might be considered too dangerous place for kidnappers to go

There are a fair number of foreigners who live in those southern towns. Those feckers may get a bit more than they bargain for, if they go feckin' around there trying to find hostages. They had better tread lightly. 

• Like 4

smokey

I was in Dalaguete yesterday.

If I would have known this I probably would have stayed home.

maybe they knew you had no money

• Like 2

b7335920

maybe they knew you had no money

they would be the only ones here that know that

• Like 1