Lots of Talk on How the USA Needs the Philippines for Military

smokey

Why would China stop any shipping lanes? Maybe I'm missing something, but the last time I checked, the Chinese export a lot of goods by sea, what possible advantage could stopping shipping be to China?

I can see where it could be an advantage to some countries on the other side of the world.

well one would have to wonder why them islands ... why put military there ?  missiles are they for show you think looks to me like china wants to be the owner of all of asia 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• rizla

• RogerDuMond

• contraman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I doubt it How long since you have been into a Bar in the Philippines to notice what nationality the clientele is made up of ?

Huh?   This is not 1960.   Let me supplement with: Based on your statement above, I can conclude, beyond the shadow of a doubt that you sir, have no clue about the happenings in the Philippines. 

Japan has wanted them out for years with all the rape problems in 1995. But each time there are visiting dignitaries and compromises. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I have been in Asia

Posted Images

RogerDuMond

Choice three cansel all Chinese held US Treasury Bonds..

That would tank the US economy and destroy the US ability to borrow money.

RogerDuMond

Maybe I'm missing something, but the last time I checked, the Chinese export a lot of goods by sea, what possible advantage could stopping shipping be to China?

Closing the shipping lanes through the disputed area would not affect shipping from China to the US. Closing would not be done for any commercial advantage, but for military reasons.

post-6207-0-74953300-1478445689_thumb.png

Closing the shipping lanes through the disputed area would not affect shipping from China to the US. Closing would not be done for any commercial advantage, but for military reasons.

attachicon.gifshipping lanes.png

I would tend to agree, but was answering the post that specifically said trade. However, the question remains, why would China need to have strategic military locations in the south china sea? Unless they felt there was a threat from some foreign nation, and not one of the nearby Asian nations has ever shown that threat. It could be that China wants to ensure that Taiwan never breaks away and becomes a new state of America, but the disputed islands are somewhat distanced from Taiwan, I cannot see a military advantage. I can see how a foreign military, located in Phils. could disrupt the Hong Kong, Guangzhou ports and other Chinese shipping routes, thereby creating a major problem for China.

The idea that China wants to rule the entire area of Asia makes as much sense as the USA deciding to invade Mexico, Brazil etc. A pointless task with nothing gained, the negative effect hugely outweighs the positive.  In the case of Mexico/Brazil they do have some rare minerals that could be useful, China can afford to buy them, but what can the west Asian countries offer that China isn't already buying at a vast discount?

TheWhiteKnight

That would tank the US economy and destroy the US ability to borrow money.

Yeah it would basically destroy the US. Really a short sighted suggestin.

I would tend to agree, but was answering the post that specifically said trade. However, the question remains, why would China need to have strategic military locations in the south china sea?

Because it'd piss off US. Every time they have internal troubles they need to poke someone outside. Could be military testing too.

The entire south-east is just a huge useless swamp to them.

USMC-Retired

Why would China stop any shipping lanes? Maybe I'm missing something, but the last time I checked, the Chinese export a lot of goods by sea, what possible advantage could stopping shipping be to China?

I can see where it could be an advantage to some countries on the other side of the world.

I do not think anyone has pointed out a particular country. However it is a vital route for the US disruption in that would cause issues for the US.