Sign in to follow this  
donroberts

Camotes island trip tomorrow

donroberts

I'll go back to San Francisco island tomorrow. Family birthday. I plan to take the boat from Danao to Consuelo. I'll try to stay 10 or 12 days. Next weekend is big holiday(All Saints Day & All Souls Day) so I will try not to travel around that time.

Last time I was there was in June.

Not much to do in Camotes- & that's what I plan to do- not much-

So it may not make a real exciting trip report but I will do what I can.

Internet & cellphone coverage  can be slow or not at all for me where I am-

Jomalia Shipping line is the boat we take- can take cars & motorcycles- sometimes more cars show up than space on the boat- so be prepared. I'll try to provide current rates- In June it was about 1,500 pesos for a Suzuki multicab including some port fees. That includes fare for one passenger.

2 classes- Aircon has nice airline type seats- assigned seating.

There's a little cafe on board some of the boats. Nice- There's 3 or .4 boats- maybe more. I don't know if every boat has a cafe.

I woke up 1AM- jetlagged- so any mistakes in fact, spelling, grammar or opinion I blame on that & welcome any corrections

Enjoy your day-

• Like 1

Raven

Some of us is expecting a full report on the islands and a lot of pictures :)

800px-Camotes_Islands_NC51-7.png

I have not been there (yet), but searching www there are several nice places there.

Lake Danao Park, 650 hectares, the largest freshwater lake in the province.

camotes_lake_danao_view.jpg

Bukilat Cave in Tudela

maxresdefault.jpg

Timubo Cave in Sonog

timubo_pool3.jpg

..and Buho Rock, Greenlake Park, Mt. Calvary (Kalbaryo), Guadalupe Cave which has a fresh-water underground lake and the vast mangrove swamp along the sides of the road from Pacijan (San Francisco) to Poro. There are also two waterfalls, one in Poro and one in Tudela.

Pictures of the countryside will be nice too, not necessary tourist-spots and updates on travel time or entrance fees.

You sure 10-12 days is enough? 09fcae224fa2fa7bacf17ce0119f268c.png

Richard K

I spent about 2 weeks on Comotes soon after I first came here last year to the Phils. I spent about 3 weeks in Angeles city when I first got here getting used to things somewhat and getting to know my gf better and then went to Cebu island as that was where I had intended to settle. The places I looked at did not suit either me or my gf and we had near 2 weeks before our flight back to Clark.

I loved it there. We rented a small scooter and went all over the place there. The ocean was clean and nice and the resort we stayed at was good and clean and the food was good. 

Internet pretty much was non-existent... but I did not mind that for a temporary visit.

I would go back in a heartbeat. It will always be one of the places I will remember.

ckfm

when you have too much time on your hand, please clean up Santiago beach and bay area from all the garbage, thank you.

MikeC

I'll go back to San Francisco island tomorrow. Family birthday. I plan to take the boat from Danao to Consuelo. I'll try to stay 10 or 12 days. Next weekend is big holiday(All Saints Day & All Souls Day) so I will try not to travel around that time.

Last time I was there was in June.

Not much to do in Camotes- & that's what I plan to do- not much-

So it may not make a real exciting trip report but I will do what I can.

Internet & cellphone coverage  can be slow or not at all for me where I am-

Jomalia Shipping line is the boat we take- can take cars & motorcycles- sometimes more cars show up than space on the boat- so be prepared. I'll try to provide current rates- In June it was about 1,500 pesos for a Suzuki multicab including some port fees. That includes fare for one passenger.

2 classes- Aircon has nice airline type seats- assigned seating.

There's a little cafe on board some of the boats. Nice- There's 3 or .4 boats- maybe more. I don't know if every boat has a cafe.

I woke up 1AM- jetlagged- so any mistakes in fact, spelling, grammar or opinion I blame on that & welcome any corrections

Enjoy your day-

I plan to visit Camotes in late January, but probably only for 2-3 nights back and forth to Cebu City (via Danao). Looking for a recommendation for the best (not cheapest) resort or house to stay at (probably 4-5 people total) for the trip. Santiago Bay Beach Resort's location overlooking the bay looks nice, but some reviews aren't the greatest. Probably leaning toward Mangodlong Resort at the moment. Any insights on resorts or places not to miss? 

Edited by MikeC

ahoy53

Hope  you have loads of fun,Don

Goetz1965

I think about going there and bringing my SUV to roam around.
How many days you recommend to stay there and have enough time to see most of all attractions ? Is 1 week enough or should it be better 10 days ?
Im not looking into rushing. And which provider has best Internet coverage there with at least good 3G - Sun, Globe or Smart

Gus

167c3aaa5b2654e953fcadf64a0a30d5.jpg

Direct ferry without going to Liloan , for those not taking their car or bike.

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

lolhahaha

I think about going there and bringing my SUV to roam around.

How many days you recommend to stay there and have enough time to see most of all attractions ? Is 1 week enough or should it be better 10 days ?

Im not looking into rushing. And which provider has best Internet coverage there with at least good 3G - Sun, Globe or Smart

I was there about 4 years ago for 10 days. Could've stayed another week. We changed hotels 3-4 times finally settling on the one by the water just southwest of San Francisco. Can't remember the name but it was cheap and quiet but no beach and looking at the map now I think its gone.

You don't need to bring a vehicle unless you just don't want to rent a motorcycle. There were a bunch of guys renting them for 400 pesos a day, which may be negotiable. I rented one for 10 days and he didn't want my money until I returned it.

If you are driving a car there though I don't think it's the same experience. My gf and me rode around everywhere even over the hills and through roads that ended and had to find new roads lol. Poro Island is pretty much a mountain so it was fun on a motorcycle riding down the back roads and there are roads that circle all the way around the 2 islands we spent all our time on. We never went to the eastern Island...

Edited by lolhahaha
  • Like 2

NigelandMJ

I have been on Camotes for some time now. I use Globe tattoo for my internet and globe cellphone. Internet is not the best anywhere on the islands, cellphone coverage similar. Recently, the power supply has improved somewhat, only blacking out a few times a week, previously, power was going off up to ten times a day. Water supply is a big problem in many areas here, we have not had water for more than a year now. When I cant collect rainwater I have to drive several miles to fill up containers with water from a private deepwell.

As was mentioned, not much happens here, mostly quiet and peaceful, except of course for the kareoke, cockerells and barking dogs. The roads are a bit of a mess right now as road repairs have been ongoing for the last year, worst is from Conseulo to San Fran and from halfway across the causway to Poro town. Beware of punctures.

There are a few places to stay, I have never stayed in any of them but have visited some for meals. The main ones are, Mangodlong, Santiago beach and garden resort, my little island hotel. I heard a new one recently opened at esparanza, not heard anything else about it though. There is one ATM on the islands at Poro, it is always a bit of a lottery as it is often offline, broken or has no money. Having said all that, Camotes is a pleasant place and well worth a visit.

• Like 3

RogerDat

I read today in the Sun Star that all 4 police chief were relived for not going after the drug persons there.

It said that that island was a transshipment point for Bohol, and Cebu.

It looks like a beautiful place, but seams to have a dark side.

NigelandMJ

167c3aaa5b2654e953fcadf64a0a30d5.jpg

Direct ferry without going to Liloan , for those not taking their car or bike.

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

As far as I know, the Oceanjet ferry to Poro is only doing two return runs daily now, the early one and the late one. The middle one has apparently been dropped for the time being.
  • Like 2

oscarpears

Looking for a recommendation for the best (not cheapest) resort or house to stay at (probably 4-5 people total) for the trip. Santiago Bay Beach Resort's location overlooking the bay looks nice, but some reviews aren't the greatest. Probably leaning toward Mangodlong Resort at the moment. Any insights on resorts or places not to miss?

Yes Paradise Resort ( Mangadlong ) very accessible from Danao as the Ferry takes you to within 5 miles of the resort. A resort bus/jeepny meets the ferry and it is a 15 minute trip to the resort. 
Clean, quiet and a beautiful location. Very easy to imagine that you are in Paradise. 
It is not a very big resort, so i expect you might need to book if you plan on visiting during holiday time.

• Like 1