US Consular Agency Back to Normal Operations

SkyMan

I just finished a passport renewal. Easy peasy. The paperwork process is similar to the way it was done before. They review the documents, you pay the fee, the consul officer has a brief conversation and the old passport is cancelled and handed to you. In the past, that didn't get it returned until the new passport was received. Made sense to cancel and return.

Be sure to have exact change, even pesos.

I arrived by taxi around 0700. By 0800 people were being processed. I had a low number and was processed in less than five minutes. Others had more complicated issues or needed some instruction. In all, I waited maybe one hour.

A bit of advice. When you first arrive, hang around the door so the security sees you. Eventually he'll hand out some numbers and shortly after begin to let those in. He has a lazy way of getting people to enter. Instead of getting up and opening the door, he tells the assembled people to wait for the door lock to click and the next in line comes in.

A few people arrived after the first batch of passes were given and told to just line up.

Not sure how many they accommodate, but I saw a number 27 as I left.

Other than the different hours, the process seems to be the same.

Oh yes, I can confirm the new process where the new passport is delivered by Air21 COD. Fine with me as it saves another trip to the consulate.

Not sure the connection to the ASG.

SkyMan

She estimated 49 to a dollar.
Which is actually bad since you're buying dollars. 

Be sure to have exact change, even pesos.
Dollar credit card best way to go.
SkyMan

Oh yes, I can confirm the new process where the new passport is delivered by Air21 COD.
I think it's p120 at delivery.  When they came I went out with some pocket money but without my wallet.  The said he needed to see an ID so I took the pouch from him, ripped it open, and handed him my new pp.  He got a laugh. 
  • Like 1
Headshot

I wonder if they will just send the new passport through the US Mail (FPO)?  If so, we can have them sent to RAO. I don't know why they wouldn't. They deliver passports through the US Mail in the US. An FPO address isn't any different.

Edited by Headshot

Had my appointment today at the Cebu Consulate for my son's CRBA. I believe today was the first day they resumed CRBA appointments. Anyway, I've only met John a few times and I liked him. I hope he is enjoying his retirement! The new guy I believe is from the Embassy in Manila. He's probably in his mid to late 30's originally from Washington DC. (I forgot his name) He was very easy to talk to, and seemed like a nice guy. It was $105 for CRBA and $100 for Passport. Or vice versa, I forgot. I paid in peso. You need to have the EXACT amount of money. They will not give you any change at all and you cannot even say for example "hey just don't worry about the 5 pesos change" that won't fly. I had to ask someone there for coins. So Anyone with an upcoming appointment for CRBA make sure you have ALL your doc's in order. Also, you MUST bring a paper copy of the appointment email. Or you will need to go to the business office at the hotel there and ask them to use their computer to print it. This happened to 2 people today and they got a higher number because they were not prepared. Hope this helps someone.

SkyMan

I wonder if they will just send the new passport through the US Mail (FPO)?  If so, we can have them sent to RAO. I don't know why they wouldn't. They deliver passports through the US Mail in the US. An FPO address isn't any different.

No, I tried that.  http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/94642-us-passport-renewal-in-cebu/?p=1296050#entry1296050

The guy called Manila and they said they needed a signature.  I told him they didn't need a signature in the US and the FPO was basically Embassy mail so I was ok with it.  Something about if the pp gets lost or stolen Air21 picks up the replacement cost but I don't see that happening.

You need to have the EXACT amount of money. They will not give you any change at all and you cannot even say for example "hey just don't worry about the 5 pesos change" that won't fly. I had to ask someone there for coins.
When I renewed my passport a couple of months ago I used my credit card.  I know not everyone likes to use or has a card but that's the way to go. 
  • Like 2