Black Scorpion

Buko Beach

Buko Beach

My Mother-in-Law (MOL) who lives in Misamis Occidental found a rather large black scorpion in her house the other day. It was captured alive long enough to take a picture and was quickly dispatched with a hammer.

This is the second large black scorpion she found in her house within a year, that one also got the hammer treatment.

While it's difficult to make out the exact size from the picture, my MOL said it was several inches long (3-4?).

Does anyone have any experience with these larger black scorpions, are they deadly or anything to worry about? I'm familiar with the smaller glow-in-the-dark scorpions but I've never seen these larger ones before.

post-13943-0-45611800-1476862478_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Headshot

The rule of thumb with scorpions is ... the smaller the claws, the deadlier the sting. A sting from a scorpion like this would hurt, but likely couldn't cause death. Large claws mean weak venom.

Headshot

Then again ... who knows how big they get?

Of course, what you've got is probably more closely related to this guy...

Alfred E. Neuman

Its an Asian Forest Scorpion, harmless. Can reach 4 inches. Adults can sell for 500 pesos in Cebu.

• Like 2