Sign in to follow this  
JohnSurrey

HotSpot ?

JohnSurrey

With my new globe deal I'll have 150gb/month cap and 15mb download speed...

We hardly use the wifi during the day and I know we use less than 50gb/month so I'm wondering whether I could set up some kind of HotSpot here.

I'm thinking perhaps I could issue vouchers (for cash) at the Sari Sari opposite... I cannot imagine it would make much money but I'd be interested to know how what I need to do to make it work - I suppose it's a variation on an internet cafe.

Does anyone know how you'd go about it, on a budget (preferably using my existing Globe/Aztech + TP Link 841N Routers)?

Thanks

Woolf

I think that you better read the fine print in your contract with GLOBE

They may not allow, what you are trying to do

share your connection with others than your household

You do not want to be cut off, do you ??

To run a net cafe  I think you need a business connection

AussieLex

We  have a 10 gig a day limit where I live in this small rustic beach side resort ... there is only the owner's small family, my wife and I and one other permanent guest... as soon as one of the staff find out the password then all the rest knows  it plus all their friends and our internet goes to shit...so regular password changes....

I don't know how to set it up to only allow limited access or timed access ...

Edited by AussieLex

JohnSurrey

I think that you better read the fine print in your contract with GLOBE

They may not allow, what you are trying to do

share your connection with others than your household

You do not want to be cut off, do you ??

To run a net cafe  I think you need a business connection

Thanks - I didn't mention it but two doors down a girl has a little plywood hut with games machines and internet users... and she's using a globe connection - definitely not business!

I think it really depends on your location as to what you can get away with ...

Woolf

what you can get away with ...

That is it,  it is up to you, what risk you are going to take

JohnSurrey

We  have a 10 gig a day limit where I live in this small rustic beach side resort ... there is only the owner's small family, my wife and I and one other permanent guest... as soon as one of the staff find out the password then all the rest knows  it plus all their friends and our internet goes to shit...so regular password changes....

I don't know how to set it up to only allow limited access or timed access ...

Yeah that's how it would be here too - if I just used a simple password option.

I think the way it works is you get a voucher code and that code allows you to "lease" or "rent" the line for a set time period - the lease expires and you need to get another code to connect - so you buy another voucher (for cash)... the code you're given can obviously only be used once.

So there's likely to be a piece of software involved somewhere that does the "clever" bit... but fiddling with my router and stuff like this is all a bit knew to me.

Woolf

I do not know of a ordinary router that will do that

I have never looked into this, so cannot be of much help

Jawny

The concern you might want to consider is a neighbor snitching on your business. Worse, some sort of use of the website for illegal activities. The user agreement almost certainly includes details about what you are responsible for. If you use the equipment to allow others to conduct some sort of illegal activity, you may be facing a judge explaining your innocence.

senseless

Openwrt has some software packages that allow this sort of functionality. You'll need to get a router with a large enough flash to house the additional packages. A low end tp-link doesn't have enough flash space to fit the hotspot packages.

The professional solution would be to get a mikrotik and use radius for accounting. You can create login / password combination codes in the radius DB. Then you'd print those onto paper then sell them. The codes could be valid for a time frame or a certain amount of transfer.

I've used openwrt and have used mikrotik routers before -- but I've not used the hotspot functionality of either.

• Like 1

BossHog

Found this; it's a a coin operated box and a thermal printer that connects to your router. Is this what you're looking for?

"PISO WIFI

The PISO WiFi is an original creation of AGN Solutions that enables businesses generate extra income by offering packet-size internet connectivity through a WiFi router that acts as a vending machine in its store or establishment.

The PISO WiFi vending machine is connected to the store/establishment’s DSL router. The WiFi machine is provided by AGN Solutions but the DSL / Internet connection should come from the business owner. Internet speed and connection is greatly dependent on the Internet service provider.

When availed of the PISO WiFi vending machine, customers can now purchase WiFi connection options from as short as 5 minutes or up to an hour. The peso denominations corresponding to the number of minutes can easily be set by the owners themselves so they have full control of their own mini-wifi internet business."

post-5791-0-51967600-1476871111_thumb.png

post-5791-0-84833800-1476871349_thumb.jpg

http://agnsolutions.net/featured-products

Download the data sheet and check it out. No idea what it costs. If someone contacts them to find out let us know.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1

JohnSurrey

Found this; it's a a coin operated box and a thermal printer that connects to your router. Is this what you're looking for?

No but looks good - 21,000 according to OLX ... (compared to cost of microtik router and radius accounting set up etc ... not sure that radius accounting would suit the cheaper end of the market)?

With the Piso machine I suppose if you took 100p/day you'd have your money back in less than a year and if you only took 50p a day you'd have it back in a 1 and 1/4 years so it doesn't look so expensive that way.

Edited by JohnSurrey
  • Like 1

infoseeker

No but looks good - 21,000 according to OLX ... (compared to cost of microtik router and radius accounting set up etc ... not sure that radius accounting would suit the cheaper end of the market)?

With the Piso machine I suppose if you took 100p/day you'd have your money back in less than a year and if you only took 50p a day you'd have it back in a 1 and 1/4 years so it doesn't look so expensive that way.

there is some options to consider

as per others posted already you can use some routers that supported with open source firmware like tomato or ddwrt then setting up a microtik/nanostation/ubiquity --- this is one of the best option as it offers wide distance wifi range

budget - around P10k (+-)

cons - you must have knowledge setting up tomato or ddwrt and the hardware (maybe youtube can help?) and putting up a portal capture

other options is that "piso-piso box wifi" which is also a quite expensive

or this one a plug n play from globe

73895474_3_1000x700.jpg?rev=002&bucket=0

i have no idea how to get that from globe, maybe if you know an agent or installer from globe can give an idea

on regards o fine print rules and regulation about globe, im sorry i did not read that one

but never heard any one got problem from globe while their home dsl/lte is connected to an internet cafe which i think 80% or more of internet cafe connected to globe are home dsl/lte (getting a business plan from globe is a little bit expensive than home plan and its quite messy on requirements which most of the internetcafe dont have those documents)

i think as long your not doing this cybersex using their service is not a problem from globe

just my two cents

• Like 1