Underage/minors

colemanlee

We have three kids of our own, 3.5,8.10..all boys,also raise the wife's two younger siblings girl 13..boy 19.....the house is always full of their friends...almost never a time during the day, especially on weekends not a bunch of kids here....does anybody with even a small degree of common sense think I leave the house every time one of my kids have a friend over after school?  I absolutely can not figure out where some on this forum are coming from, it seems to me some here live in fear of everything....and personally I could not, would not, live like that....

Either I, or some of the people here must live in an alternate universe...I've lived here for almost seven years...never been in fear of my life, routinely drink with the locals, take my kids and their friends swimming, walk down the road at night....and again could not, would not live any other way....and can not for the life of me understand how many here survive, no not the Philippines, how do they survive their fears, do they ever get out from under the bed?  What kind of life some here must have....the one thing I do know...Is I would damn sure not trade my life for theirs and BTW Duterte is the best thing to happen to the Philippines for the last thirty years...

• Like 8
  • Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HTM

• SkyMan

• Cipro

• USMC-Retired

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why all this interest in Underage/Minors ? As I see it, the law may not be well written (very few are) but it is quite clear So it puzzles me why so many mature aged guys are getting all worked up o

I think it's important to keep a sense of perspective here.   Contrary to what a lot of posters seem to believe, the Filipinos are not out to get us.   Perhaps over consumption of cheap alcohol ca

We have three kids of our own, 3.5,8.10..all boys,also raise the wife's two younger siblings girl 13..boy 19.....the house is always full of their friends...almost never a time during the day, especia

Posted Images

Skywalker

We have three kids of our own, 3.5,8.10..all boys,also raise the wife's two younger siblings girl 13..boy 19.....the house is always full of their friends...almost never a time during the day, especially on weekends not a bunch of kids here....does anybody with even a small degree of common sense think I leave the house every time one of my kids have a friend over after school?  I absolutely can not figure out where some on this forum are coming from, it seems to me some here live in fear of everything....and personally I could not, would not, live like that....

Absolutely agree, there are always children from the village in my house, school friends of my kids who often turn up with their cousins or whoever.

Either I, or some of the people here must live in an alternate universe...I've lived here for almost seven years...never been in fear of my life, routinely drink with the locals, take my kids and their friends swimming, walk down the road at night....and again could not, would not live any other way....and can not for the life of me understand how many here survive, no not the Philippines, how do they survive their fears, do they ever get out from under the bed?  What kind of life some here must have....the one thing I do know...Is I would damn sure not trade my life for theirs and BTW Duterte is the best thing to happen to the Philippines for the last thirty years...

I'm almost 6 years in.  My experiences are similar to yours.  The idea that we foreigners should be constantly looking over our shoulders is ridiculous.  The only people who need to fear, are the ones who are involved in nefarious activities.  Gosh, how many Yayas are left looking after unrelated children on a daily basis?  Should we render them all unemployed?

• Like 3

...................Either I, or some of the people here must live in an alternate universe ......................

You are quite right, of course, if you are living a normal, well behaved lifestyle and not unduly upsetting the locals there is virtually no chance that you will get into any kind of trouble with a hoard of (unrelated) young kids in your home.

However, because of a very badly written law, you are in breach of it at times and if someone chose to, you could be arrested and jailed for a very long time, awaiting trial.

If you are not well known, don't have connections in the Phils, you need to be well aware of this law and avoid getting caught up by it.

Even a few long-term resident ex-pats are smart enough to take account of this law and act accordingly.

• Like 3
senseless

Duterte is the President.

The problem I have with you, and a few others, is that the picture of doom and gloom you keep on painting isn't one that I recognise - and I actually live here, have done for many years.

Edit:  When the children, who are part of the families that look after the resorts I stay at, come into the room to do the cleaning I grab my stuff and go sit by the pool or walk along the beach.  Simple enough solution.

I've lived here for 12 years. I've never been in fear until June of 2016. Filipinos are generally an impressionable bunch. They will extrapolate meaning from Duterte's words and act upon that extrapolated meaning. It's not even that I fear duterte or his policies (some of them I agree with).. What I fear is the stupidity and corruption of the lay folk, police officers, etc. That they will take something duterte says and use it as an excuse to attack people they don't like. It's duterte's rabid mouth that's the problem.

There's nothing stopping someone from shooting you and planting a sachet on your body -- then attempting to claim a reward for your slaying. Or, shooting you claiming you're a pedophile. With a pedophile + addict sign around your neck -- no one is going to care enough to even pick your corpse up off the street. Some would kill a foreigner just for the sake of killing a foreigner. It would be special to them. And, if they can plant drugs on you making a few 10K pesos in the process... All the better.. They will never find your killer. They will never look for your killer. And, more than likely your killer would be someone who is sworn to protect and serve.

Anyone who doesn't know my words as truth either hasn't lived here long enough, hasn't dealt with enough locals that they don't have a rapport with, or still has their rose colored glasses on.

The police and politicians are more likely to be criminals than you or I. Keep that in mind.

Edited by senseless
  • Like 4
Davaoeno
Some would kill a foreigner just for the sake of killing a foreigner. It would be special to them. And, if they can plant drugs on you making a few 10K pesos in the

... All the better.. They will never find your killer. They will never look for your killer. And, more than likely your killer would be someone who is sworn to protect and serve.

I never realized that before . I guess I will just have to take your word for these things.  You are obviously talking about a different Rody Duterte and different filipinos than the ones that live here in Davao- because in Davao I have never felt that way- either about Duterte or about these filipinos [ police according to you! ]   who want to kill me just for the sake of killing a foreigner

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 7
Davaoeno

The only people who need to fear, are the ones who are involved in nefarious activities

well said !

• Like 1
senseless

I never realized that before . I guess I will just have to take your word for these things.  You are obviously talking about a different Rody Duterte and different filipinos than the ones than live here in Davao- because in Davao I have never felt that way- either about Duterte or about these filipinos [ police according to you! ]   who want to kill me just for the sake of killing a foreigner

Ya? Everyone all smiles? :rolleyes:

Your reply reminds me of this guy....

brady.jpg

Just recently here in Manila 2 guys (in separate situations) were dragged out of their hotel rooms and had a 'bag' of ecstasy (MDMA) planted on them. One of the guys had proof in the form of CCTV camera footage. The other didn't. One is in jail. One isn't. The arresting officers were the same in both cases. Ya, you're right. Nothing to see here, move along.

http://manila.coconuts.co/2016/10/06/canadian-man-gets-life-imprisonment-selling-160-ecstasy-tablets

http://www.manilatimes.net/court-australian-falsely-accused-drug-war/291325/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-12/cctv-frees-adelaide-man-framed-on-drugs-charges-in-philippines/7925200

^^ that one has an interview with him

Edited by senseless
  • Like 2
SkyMan

Contrary to what a lot of posters seem to believe, the Filipinos are not out to get us.

No, certainly as a general statement, Filipinos are not out to get us. But it only takes 1 or 2. One of your kids friends goes home and tells momma or papa they were at a friend's and there was a foreigner there. They coach the kid to make some false accusation and you're in a world of hurt. It can happen.

Gosh, how many Yayas are left looking after unrelated children on a daily basis?  Should we render them all unemployed?

....That this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty.

Yayas watching minors are ok.  Even minor yayas and yayos are ok.

• Like 1

They will never find your killer. They will never look for your killer. And, more than likely your killer would be someone who is sworn to protect and serve.

They never did before so whats the difference?

In our province we have had a couple of crooked Police officers shot and killed in PNP drug busts.. Ive never seen the likes of it before but I will reserve judgment for a year or two in regards to if I feel safer or not.

If corruption is discouraged and reduced,the chances of an innocent,law abiding foreigner being set up will inevitably fall IMO.

Davaoeno

Ya? Everyone all smiles?  

Nice try but thats not what I said.  I said you are wrong in claiming that the police in Davao are killing foreigners " just for the sake of killing a foreigner".    But you already know that .

Tullioz

On the other hand, this law isn't limited to our homes. You could easily get hit with it if an unaccompanied girl (or boy) talks to you or sits down next to you in the mall (or anyplace else). It would be so easy to set up a foreigner using this law, it isn't funny. While it is important to protect children, this law is so poorly conceived and written that it needs to be stricken from the books. Perfectly innocent adults can become ensnared due to this law. That is just an open door to corruption (which is, I believe, why it was written as it was), and President Duterte is supposedly trying to eliminate anything that promotes corruption.

This law has been on the books since 1992. If innocent people were being targeted with this clause, or if corruption were an issue, there would be several examples of this taking place by now. I have yet to see a case where this law has been abused, but there have probably been a few people that have been unfairly targeted over the years. Either way, it is not a widespread problem, especially in the expat community. I have also never seen a case where someone was arrested for being in the company of a minor that they did not already know. Much less a case where someone was arrested for talking to a minor or simply sitting next to them in a mall that was a complete stranger to them. 

I doubt there has ever been a case brought against a foreigner that has not been addressed on this forum, and so far it seems that every one who has been charged with violating ARTICLE VI; Section 10b was doing something that would raise suspicion. Some were just being plain stupid, but many were guilty of a more serious crime. 

It is a good law because it gives authorities the ability to pull a child out of a potentially dangerous situation without having to first build a case against the suspect. It allows the authorities to be proactive rather than reactive. 

While I agree it would be easy to set up a foreigner with this law (There are other laws as well that could be used), there is no evidence to support that this is happening. 

Oh!, and it's a non-bailable offense, so you will have plenty of time in jail to prepare a case for your defense when you eventually get to court. (maybe 5 years later).

Bail will e granted if someone is charged with violating ARTICLE VI; Section 10b. This is guaranteed under the Philippine constitution.

ARTICLE III; Section 13. All persons, except those charged with offenses punishable by reclusion perpetua when evidence of guilt is strong, shall, before conviction, be bailable by sufficient sureties, or be released on recognizance as may be provided by law. The right to bail shall not be impaired even when the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus is suspended. Excessive bail shall not be required.

If you read the articles in cases where people have been charged under RA 7610, you will find that bail is mentioned most of the time. 

The key to avoiding problems in the Philippines is basically the same as in your home country. Follow the rules and always do the right thing. In this case, do not to do anything with a minor here that you would not do with a minor in your home country. It's common sense, and most people can distinguish between what's right from what's wrong. If a person gets caught abusing a minor whether here or elsewhere, they will get what they deserve. Hopefully more than they deserve. 

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 1
senseless

This law has been on the books since 1992. If innocent people were being targeted with this clause, or if corruption were an issue, there would be several examples of this taking place by now. I have yet to see a case where this law has been abused, but there have probably been a few people that have been unfairly targeted over the years. Either way, it is not a widespread problem, especially in the expat community. I have also never seen a case where someone was arrested for being in the company of a minor that they did not already know. Much less a case where someone was arrested for talking to a minor or simply sitting next to them in a mall that was a complete stranger to them. 

I doubt there has ever been a case brought against a foreigner that has not been addressed on this forum, and so far it seems that every one who has been charged with violating ARTICLE VI; Section 10b was doing something that would raise suspicion. Some were just being plain stupid, but many were guilty of a more serious crime. 

It is a good law because it gives authorities the ability to pull a child out of a potentially dangerous situation without having to first build a case against the suspect. It allows the authorities to be proactive rather than reactive. 

While I agree it would be easy to set up a foreigner with this law (There are other laws as well that could be used), there is no evidence to support that this is happening. 

Bail will e granted if someone is charged with violating ARTICLE VI; Section 10b. This is guaranteed under the Philippine constitution.

If you read the articles in cases where people have been charged under RA 7610, you will find that bail is mentioned most of the time. 

The key to avoiding problems in the Philippines is basically the same as in your home country. Follow the rules and always do the right thing. In this case, do not to do anything with a minor here that you would not do with a minor in your home country. It's common sense, and most people can distinguish between what's right from what's wrong. If a person gets caught abusing a minor whether here or elsewhere, they will get what they deserve. Hopefully more than they deserve. 

I would agree with you if there was a presumption of innocence and due process. But there's not. If someone thinks you are guilty of something then you are. Just because you're not what other people would consider to be a good person doesn't mean you deserve to be shot. For example, you can be an asshole, stupid, eccentric. It's not a crime to be an asshole or a rude son of a bitch. Just because someone is an ass or eccentric it doesn't mean they deserve to die. The recent case of Robertus Ploeg should be a testament to that. There was no evidence that's come forward he was a pedophile. With the exception of police testimony that 'he was looking at young girls naked on the computer'. Really? Have any ages for those girls? Or just a feeling? There are many unknown details. And hey, we will never know those details because they decided to kill the guy instead of prosecute him with a crime.

It's also terrifying that you think the police should be able to act without any evidence of wrong doing.

Edited by senseless
  • Like 3

.....If you read the articles in cases where people have been charged under RA 7610, you will find that bail is mentioned most of the time........

....... If a person gets caught abusing a minor whether here or elsewhere, they will get what they deserve. Hopefully more than they deserve......

Mentioned is fine - is it normally granted though?

Few would object to severe punishment for abusing a minor.

But this topic is not about abusing them.

It's about being in the company of an under 18 year old, no matter what the intent may be (harmless or otherwise).

That's a problem in the Philippines as a result of law with good intent, but very badly written.

RA 7610 in particular.

if in doubt take video confession of their age and them confirming there age while filming the ID and them holding it.. Then again if you need to do that maybe you should be looking for females a bit older. If 2 guys on a motorcycle pay you a visit then you won't have time to explain anyway.

You might also try dating much very much older women.... they dont talk so much cuz theyre always tired , less sassin cuz they thankful to be there , and not too much optimism as a rule so less dreaded dreams and pressuring aspirations to deal with it . Id be leery of the goodlooking ones cuz they most certainly been married before . Old and not too physically attractive being main 2 ingredients a guy would be shootin for to minimalize future dangerous outcomes and help ensure a long life in this tropical paradise

I wonder how often this topic is bought up in Expat Forums in other S.E. Countries or even any other countries , as it appears to here in the Philippines....... :idontknow: