Sign in to follow this  
HTM

Underage/minors

contraman

They'd have to arrest the whole family (20+). That 2nd degree cousin (and his 10 other siblings) were abandoned by his mother. He's frequently living with others who would not meet the 4th affinity criteria.

But he is not an expat

Much more newsworthy if a foreigner is arrested :idontknow:

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

senseless

But he is not an expat

Much more newsworthy if a foreigner is arrested :idontknow:

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

True, I realized that after clicking post :(

Best option is GTFO and leave pinoy to their own devices. Soon... It can't come fast enough.. It will be nice to live in a place where my daughter can have friends without me worrying if I'm going to be assassinated for it.

Edited by senseless
  • Like 4

b7335920

Hows this?  If you think you need to be asking her for her ID to prove she is over 18. Maybe you shouldn't be with her in the first place... :unknw:

Ask any woman you go out with for id ( except extreme cases )  Do you really want your judgement on  a  4 foot 10 inch 90 pound womans age to determine your future ? Worst thing can happen she dont have it on her and you can see her next time assuming shes old enough. And if shes 33 shell take it as a compliment   and if shes 50 shell take it as a compliment....

darrener

Quote Republic Act No. 7610 Section 10(b) "Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who in ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places shall suffer the penalty of prison mayor in its maximum period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000)

It's all very sad but very necessary to protect the kids, however can someone explain all this rubbish about hotel, motel, beer joint.....etc. when the first part of the statement say's "any public or private place" which if I'm not mistaken covers all eventualities....?

There is nothing surer than a foreigner will claim he wasn't in any of the "prescribed places" as his defence....... not that it will do him any good, however why must things as important as this be so ambiguous here.....?

Salty Dog

That last section that says:

"or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty. "

Could cover a lot of situation. Especially the local customs and social duty.

Sent from Note 4 using Tapatalk.

• Like 4

SkyMan

It's all very sad but very necessary to protect the kids, however can someone explain all this rubbish about hotel, motel, beer joint.....etc. when the first part of the statement say's "any public or private place" which if I'm not mistaken covers all eventualities....?

There is nothing surer than a foreigner will claim he wasn't in any of the "prescribed places" as his defence....... not that it will do him any good, however why must things as important as this be so ambiguous here.....?

Correct, a lot of extraneous stuff there.  If you're 28 or older it reads, ""Any person in the company of a minor shall suffer the penalty of prison mayor in its maximum period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000)"

Edited by SkyMan

easydrifter

True, I realized that after clicking post :(

Best option is GTFO and leave pinoy to their own devices. Soon... It can't come fast enough.. It will be nice to live in a place where my daughter can have friends without me worrying if I'm going to be assassinated for it.

I will have to admit that sometimes you make a lot of sense.I'm here alone in the house as my wife went back to the States to work for awhile, well my good intentioned mother in-law comes over every couple of weeks and totally cleaning the place up for me, usually staying for 1 or 2 nights. She always brings a helper along, often a 15 yr old girl from her province and without even realizing what kind of jeopardy she is putting me in she sometimes leaves us both here while she goes to the market or beauty parlor by herself. I need to put a stop to it but I'm sure she won't understand. They really don't know how to protect a foreigner here, you have to cover you own ass, nobody is going to jump in front of a bullet for you here.
  • Like 5

RFulmer

I contacted "Anti-Child Abuse, Discrimination, Exploitation Division (ACADED) National Bureau of Investigation" and asked them regarding my child having friends and 2nd+ degree cousins that she plays with. They said they would look up case law and get back to me. I'm not holding my breath but if I follow up with them enough I'll probably get an answer.

a bit of a senseless thing to do

Now you have alerted them They will probably come and arrest you, :idontknow:

was thinking the same thing, now he is on one of their LISTS!

darrener

I will have to admit that sometimes you make a lot of sense.I'm here alone in the house as my wife went back to the States to work for awhile, well my good intentioned mother in-law comes over every couple of weeks and totally cleaning the place up for me, usually staying for 1 or 2 nights. She always brings a helper along, often a 15 yr old girl from her province and without even realizing what kind of jeopardy she is putting me in she sometimes leaves us both here while she goes to the market or beauty parlor by herself. I need to put a stop to it but I'm sure she won't understand. They really don't know how to protect a foreigner here, you have to cover you own ass, nobody is going to jump in front of a bullet for you here.

I have similar issues here, and do everything I can to keep myself out of jeopardy....... I suspect probably around 20% (guesstimate) and maybe more of foreigners here experience the same problem..... not that that many would admit to it.... 

SkyMan

I need to put a stop to it but I'm sure she won't understand.
Yes, I've had to explain this law to my wife several times and I think she still thinks I'm nuts.
  • Like 3

Headshot

Yes, I've had to explain this law to my wife several times and I think she still thinks I'm nuts.

Same here. However, we have a policy than none of my daughter's friends can come to our place unless a parent is with them. My wife said that is generally the way things are done in the Philippines anyway, so I don't have too much to worry about with kids in my home. Even then, I generally stay in my room when those friends are visiting. It just eliminates any possibility of entanglement. On the other hand, this law isn't limited to our homes. You could easily get hit with it if an unaccompanied girl (or boy) talks to you or sits down next to you in the mall (or anyplace else). It would be so easy to set up a foreigner using this law, it isn't funny. While it is important to protect children, this law is so poorly conceived and written that it needs to be stricken from the books. Perfectly innocent adults can become ensnared due to this law. That is just an open door to corruption (which is, I believe, why it was written as it was), and President Duterte is supposedly trying to eliminate anything that promotes corruption.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

RFulmer

I had the same problem when staying on a nice tropical beach once. i had a shack I rented while my new girlfriend was working in a city at the time so i found a beautiful spot to get us a home before she moved there in a couple of months when she finished her contract. I stayed there for 3 months alone while keeping out of trouble. I would hang out at a local restaurant often and have a few meals there, drinks, coffee etc. i made friends with the female manager and owner, staff etc. The manager was nearly managing my life as well haha, all good intentions... She would keep saying to me to not wait for my girlfriend to turn up and enjoy myself. Looking back I probably should have took her advice but my girlfriend did turn up and we had a nice time there anyway. but later broke up.

But before that the manager sent her niece and a friend over to my place to help with my cleaning and I had to talk to her to tell her politely not to do this anymore as I believed they were both 17 and 18. She said I had nothing to worry about but I had to be firm and  explain to her I could get into a lot of trouble to have them in my home to clean. It's not easy to explain to them as they don't understand how much trouble we could get into.

• Like 1

Skywalker

I think it's important to keep a sense of perspective here.

Contrary to what a lot of posters seem to believe, the Filipinos are not out to get us.

Perhaps over consumption of cheap alcohol can fuel a certain paranoia, but seriously you don't need to concern yourself about sitting next to a minor on a jeepney.

When I grab one of the boys in my house to come and help with shopping at Savemore, do you seriously think I am going to be worried about masked men on motorbikes coming for me?  The idea is laughable.  If I take one of the kids to the doctor, on my scooter, should I be worried about anything other than the welfare of that child?  If I pick up one of the children from school, am I likely to be treated differently than the dozen or so other bike riders picking up unrelated school children?

Sure, the Law is badly written, but in all the years I've been here I have rarely heard stories about innocent foreigners being set up.  And any adult that takes an underage child to a resort is simply asking for trouble.  I have seen no evidence of foreigners being targeted, and I haven't heard any stories - there are sexpats here, but it's very common for them to get caught eventually, because it's almost impossible to keep that sort of behaviour a secret here.  More than 99% of cases involving minors have absolutely no connection with foreigners.

• Like 8

Oz Jon

if in doubt take video confession of their age and them confirming there age while filming the ID and them holding it.. Then again if you need to do that maybe you should be looking for females a bit older. If 2 guys on a motorcycle pay you a visit then you won't have time to explain anyway.

Sorry mate - but you have missed the key point!

If the (unrelated) person is under 18,  there is no defense! -- Even an age affidavit sworn before a judge is no defense!

Oh!, and it's a non-bailable offense, so you will have plenty of time in jail to prepare a case for your defense when you eventually get to court. (maybe 5 years later).

With luck the judge will treat you lightly.

Welcome to the Philippines where it's more fun!

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 1

HTM

More than 99% of cases involving minors have absolutely no connection with foreigners.

This is certainly quite correct, but it is cases like with Douglas Slade who really creates storm in the media. He was the founder of the vilified Paedophile Information Exchange in the 1970s and was repeatedly arrested for taking nude photos and abusing kids.

And story like this make some foreigners think that Philippines is "haven for touring pedophiles"

Philippine Town Haven For Touring Pedophiles

It took five years before the town became fully aware that busloads of single men were arriving regularly-not to see the colonial houses with their latticed balconies or other tourist attractions but for the local schoolboys whose reputation had grown thanks to word of mouth and advertising in pedophile publications abroad.

The lid finally came off the scandal in 1982 when police raided the rented house of a man from Philadelphia, one of the hangers-on who arrived with the film crew but never left. The locals remember him as a charmer, always accompanied by a flock of boys.

In the house police found a meticulous index system containing the names of 564 children (304 of them local boys), the names of their parents, details of their sexual proficiency, ordinary and p*ornographic pictures of each child and the fee for which the boys were available, usually 300 pesos ($12).

Police alleged that the Philadelphia man had been running a procuring service for pedophiles who arrived on package tours from all over the world.

``(He) and four other foreigners were deported under a voluntary deportation system that allows pedophiles to get off scot-free. But the child prostitution they had started continued to blossom,`` said Riviera, a former teacher who now runs the Pagsanjan Council for the Protection of Children.

Riviera said many foreigners now look for child prostitutes, both boys and girls, in the belief they are less likely to be carriers of the AIDS virus.

``It`s not just pedophiles today but ordinary men looking for sex who feel it`s safer to do their thing with a child,`` she said.

After surveying 300 parents, Riviera and her council found not only that the parents were aware of their sons` misconduct but ``often pushed them into prostitution with the excuse `we need the money and the foreigners pay for the boys` education, their clothing and their shoes,` `` she said.

By the late 1980s Pagsanjan had become a paradise for pedophiles. Spartacus, an international gay guide published in Europe, advertised the town like this:

``Sex with boys in the Philippines is quite legal. Most boys in Pagsanjan are available, though not all of them are gay. One could say that the boys of Pagsanjan are a rental industry in themselves. We recommend the restaurant Durafe near the church. There are lots of pimps in the town but most of them are our friends . . .``

Read [email protected] Tribune

• Like 1