Sign in to follow this  
HTM

Underage/minors

contraman

I didn't think I needed to place the relevant portion in bold print for some.

Thanks for reminding me to not take any legal advice from you :idontknow:

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

USMC-Retired

What bond is there?  Unless the child was adopted there is no bond.  Which he did not say adopted daughter.   Marriage does not make the child your child unless there is an adoption.  

• Like 2

Headshot

What nonsense! This infamous law spells out clearly that what is customary is okay.

And now you say, having young helpers is custom here.

Hence, logic dictates that such an arrangement would be okay, according to the letter of the law.

So your advice about following the letter of the law is self-contradicting.... because the law itself is.

Your assertion that a foreigner can end up in custody and possibly lose everything even if following the law (when it comes to young helpers) just confirms what many of us have tried to say all along: This is not about protecting children at all.

It is not self-contradicting. The point is ... just because something is considered customary for Filipinos does NOT mean they automatically see it as customary for foreigners. You need to get used to the fact that foreigners are treated differently under the law in the Philippines. The guarantees under the Philippine Constitution extend ONLY to citizens. You may think it is nonsense, but they don't see it that way. Therefore, it is ALWAYS better for foreigners to err on the side of caution when you are in the Philippines. If a foreigner can't (or won't) do that, then they are better off not being in the Philippines. NEVER try to use Western logic in the Philippines. They have their own form of logic.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

Woolf

Now my gf's granddaughter has been living with us for 5 + years

in "our" house

I bring here to school in  the morning and take her home in the evening

I bring her to dentist

she comes with me, when I pickup gf at cebu city hall

I will not let this law prevent me from being a good "grandfather"

Our neighbors to girls run in and out our house as they please

last year the neighbors took my grandchild out for shopping and dining

at one their daughters birthday

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2

RogerDuMond
Unless the child was adopted there is no bond.

Are you serious? You can't possibly misunderstand this? Don't get stuck on a word or two, it is the totality of the sentence that is important.

That this provision shall not apply to any person who .........or any bond recognized by ...... local custom and tradition or acts in the performance of a social, ....... duty.

Thanks for reminding me to not take any legal advice from you :idontknow:

You are quite welcome, but the legal reading of the law doesn't come from me, it comes from a retired Regional Trial Court Judge for Region VII.

Headshot

What bond is there?  Unless the child was adopted there is no bond.  Which he did not say adopted daughter.   Marriage does not make the child your child unless there is an adoption.  

That is silly. Do you have aunts or uncles that married into your family? Of course you do (if your parents had any siblings that married). Marriage is automatically a bond into the family. A step-father is bonded to his step-child through marriage. However, A man has no legal bond to his girlfriend's children. Cipro was correct. He would need to be more careful in the Philippines. The Philippines would not recognize any bond between him and his girlfriend's son.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

USMC-Retired

No it is not for the child.  You as the spouse of the wife would not have any right to that child in court.  If you have no right in court then you have no bond.  There is no bond for that child.  The bond goes up and down her side and the biological father side.  Not yours.    

RogerDuMond

A man has no legal bond to his girlfriend's children.

Only one small part of that sentence mentions legal bond.

Skywalker

I wonder if the Philippines recognises the bond between a (foreigner) God father and his (Filipina) God daughter?  I suspect not.

• Like 1

RogerDuMond

If you have no right in court then you have no bond.

It also mentions social and moral bond.

I wonder if the Philippines recognises the bond between a (foreigner) God father and his (Filipina) God daughter?  I suspect not.

yes it does, that is a social and moral bond.

HTM

He is not covered by the related in the fourth degree in any way. As It is his GF' s child

You have to read more than one law,  this is recognized also in the family code as a “common-law marriage“, (if they are in a live-in relationship)

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

Do you know the definition of Social Bond?  His Parents or the Grand Parent must live, work, or socialize in that community.  They would have to be apart of the community.  That would define a social bond.  Not sure what a moral bond unless it would mean that the family has been unable to care for the child and you are morally obligated to.  However you would still need a social bond.  So this does not apply to Grand Parents who are not there as the OP posted.  It is a violation for them to take the child anywhere.  

Most here are posting defense to prosecution.  There is a huge difference between avoiding being arrested and a defense.  If you want to await a trial in court or arraignment hearing then you probably have a defense.  I am not disagreeing that point.   Just be prepared for a slow go at the courts.  

Not your child do not go anywhere with them period or at least have one of age family member. 

Edited by USMC-Retired

HTM

Depending of what u meaning with bonding

As I write earlyer

I'm godfather to some police children, and although I know I am not easy will have problems, I am not alone with them. It's not necessary either, and if I was it may be a violation of the law.

• Like 1

RogerDuMond

Do you know the definition of Social Bond?

The social bond consists of four elements: attachment of the individual to others or the extent to which the individual cares about the opinion of significant people such as family, peers, and school; commitment to conventional lines of action; involvement in conventional activities; and, belief in legitimate order.

Soarking

I guess when, (and if) someone gets picked up in Cebu with their g/f son or daughter, we will have our test case.

And that will start a whole new debate.

• Like 1