Underage/minors

It is the mark of the mind untrained to take its own processes as valid for all men, and its own judgments for absolute truth.

Put more simply, hubris sucks.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HTM

• SkyMan

• Cipro

• USMC-Retired

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why all this interest in Underage/Minors ? As I see it, the law may not be well written (very few are) but it is quite clear So it puzzles me why so many mature aged guys are getting all worked up o

I think it's important to keep a sense of perspective here.   Contrary to what a lot of posters seem to believe, the Filipinos are not out to get us.   Perhaps over consumption of cheap alcohol ca

We have three kids of our own, 3.5,8.10..all boys,also raise the wife's two younger siblings girl 13..boy 19.....the house is always full of their friends...almost never a time during the day, especia

Posted Images

In Norway I did not have to worry about this, but I don't live in Norway na ......

Except in Norway CPS can take your child off you with no or not much warning just for a simple minor thing like training your child to go potty before the law allows....A simple case of Cultural Differences that ends up with my neice losing her one year old daughter and after 3 months, the child remains in protective custody....

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Except in Norway CPS can take your child off you with no or not much warning just for a simple minor thing like training your child to go potty before the law allows....A simple case of Cultural Differences that ends up with my neice losing her one year old daughter and after 3 months, the child remains in protective custody....

Are you saying Norway has a law about potty training children...

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

colemanlee

Surely you are saying this in jest....a law about potty training?  

I don't believe that it was ever said that the law was selectively enforced by proponents of the law.

********* often have trouble speaking plainly, it's true. 

If you have a group of people all doing the same thing and some are rounded up and questioned and the rest are not, that's selective enforcement. A prime example in the USA would be speed limit laws - it happens everywhere but there is a substantial difference between a traffic infraction and being publicly accused of being a child molester. 

For the record, I also believe speed limits should be strictly and uniformly enforced. 

Edited by Cipro

Are you saying Norway has a law about potty training children...

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

No, but I understand what he talking about.

USMC-Retired
Sure they can anywhere in the world.

No they can not.  At least not in the US you as a police officer open your self up to a Law Suit and criminal charges.   42 U.S. Code § 1983 - Civil action for deprivation of rights protects the citizen.  Additionally the 4th amendment protects you against illegal search and seizure.  Being arrested in the US according to the Supreme Court is a seizure and you can not just detain or arrest someone without probable cause/reasonable suspicion.  

If at any time as posted in the incident that I linked,  Shadow was detained/arrested as such then let go.  He could have sued both the Officer and Agency because once the arrest is made you can not just unarrest them.  You have at that point denied them their liberties.

But hell what do I know.  Also it is not unrealistic or even blind to expect the courts of the Philippines to operate in a manner better than one step up from a Kangaroo court.     Where they detain with out cause and investigate after the fact. 

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 2

No they can not. At least not in the US you as a police officer open your self up to a Law Suit and criminal charges.

You mean legally detained, I assume?

USMC-Retired

You can not even detain someone with out reasonable suspicion.   You must be able to prove that also.  Walking with a 31 year old women and detained in the separate rooms is not reasonable.    You can not arrest without probable cause.  Two levels of burden.  

• Like 3
RogerDuMond

Those of us that know it has been used to extort expats try to warn others and wonder why anyone would advocate reckless behavior where this law is concerned.

It is a matter of perception. I have only seen the law enforced against Filipinos, so I could say that the law is biased against Filipinos, but I won't. It is fine to warn others about your perception, just as it is fine for someone who has extensive experience with the legal system to give his point of view even if it differs from yours.

At least not in the US you as a police officer open your self up to a Law Suit and criminal charges.

As they would here, but possible repercussions doesn't mean that officers in the US or other places don't or couldn't do it.

USMC-Retired

As they would here, but possible repercussions doesn't mean that officers in the US or other places don't or couldn't do it.

If you want to go to prison then do it.  It is both Criminal and Civil.  Oh they could it would be easy, however not even close to worth it.  There is not repercussions for an illegal arrest in the Philippines none that would be worth it.

• Like 3

If you want to go to prison then do it.  It is both Criminal and Civil.  Oh they could it would be easy, however not even close to worth it.  There is not repercussions for an illegal arrest in the Philippines none that would be worth it.

A policeman in LA can walk into a high end mall and randomly shoot someone. He has a gun, and shoes. The law does not condone it, and there would be very significant repercussions. This is the stupidity that comes out when people confuse capability with viability. It's totally viable for an innocent person to be significantly infringed by officers selectively enforcing RA7610 without any negative repercussions on those responsible. 

I am not completely against the idea of a well crafted law that has the same goals and similar language as RA7610; I can see how such a law could be useful. Having said that, 7610 is garbage. That it passed and became law does not speak well of the craftsmanship and pride of a job well done of those responsible. 

• Like 1
RogerDuMond

There is not repercussions for an illegal arrest in the Philippines none that would be worth it.

That is not true should an officer make an illegal arrest, but please remember that most arrests are made after a complaint is filed and officers do not have any discretion whether to arrest or not.

Headshot

Regardless of how well, or how poorly, written this law is, the simple truth is that with this law on the books, you need to stay away from unrelated minors. As Larry's incident shows, you might get detained even if you are related to the person that authorities believe is a minor, but at least the detention will likely be fairly short. You may still be very inconvenienced, and it may cost you some money as a result, but at least you know you will be cleared in the end. The law is bad in that it allows detention merely on suspicion, but this is the Philippines, and there is nothing that non-citizens can do about bad laws here.

Therefore, you should just be aware that this law exists, and do everything possible to not do anything in public that would raise the suspicions of those who are constantly watching foreigners looking for some reason to cause them problems. You need to know that those people are out there, so don't give them any reason to suspect you are up to no good.

I know that is hard for Larry, since some people might think he is suspect even if he is just drinking coffee by himself... :ROFLMAO:

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 4

Regardless of how well, or how poorly, written this law is, the simple truth is that with this law on the books, you need to stay away from unrelated minors.

Just stick to brothels bars that pay their bribes fees on time, and don't have any actual relationships, then. I'm sure that's the intent of RA7610 ....