Underage/minors

So, if I meet a kid on a beach, who begs for money for food and I take pity on him and take him to Jolly Bee and buy him a meal.

Then back to the beach and I'm chatting with him trying to figure out how to help him solve his problems and someone figures my intentions are bad - maybe I'm a pedophile!.

So I get arrested and incarcerated. - no evidence needed, just someone's opinion?

Is my action  "the performance of a social, moral or legal duty" ? - who decides? -  When?

How soon after I am incarcerated can I get this sorted out and the case dismissed by a judge?

Same day?, a day or two in jail later? When?.... Why not same day?

That's what's wrong with this badly written law!

It doesn't require any sort of evidence or even just cause - just someone's opinion.

And the remedy is unacceptably slow. (that's not a problem of the law, but a fixable problem of law implementation)

Again such does not happen, but if you continue and take him/her home with you and think that it's the best he/she takes a shower maybe helping and give 500 peso for the school

But says that this is secret, and if somebody know you can not give more money

and this repeats itself,

You have a problem. Or possibly are the problem

In a case like this, they can use 7610, they do not need cooperation from the kid or proof of indecent association with him / her or arrest warrants or any thing else.

They can make a rescue based on that they know that you are alone there with the child.

Without 7610 , they must have concrete and good evidence and cooperation with the child which is of course only witness' and the parents of the child need to be involved, before they can do anything. Then to a judge to obtain a warrant.

BUT it's not easy to get cooperation with a child you pay, many parents are also very negative and non-cooperative.

• Like 1
  • Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HTM

• SkyMan

• Cipro

• USMC-Retired

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why all this interest in Underage/Minors ? As I see it, the law may not be well written (very few are) but it is quite clear So it puzzles me why so many mature aged guys are getting all worked up o

I think it's important to keep a sense of perspective here.   Contrary to what a lot of posters seem to believe, the Filipinos are not out to get us.   Perhaps over consumption of cheap alcohol ca

We have three kids of our own, 3.5,8.10..all boys,also raise the wife's two younger siblings girl 13..boy 19.....the house is always full of their friends...almost never a time during the day, especia

Posted Images

So, if I meet a kid on a beach, who begs for money for food and I take pity on him and take him to Jolly Bee and buy him a meal.   Then back to the beach and I'm chatting with him trying to figure out how to help him solve his problems and someone figures my intentions are bad - maybe I'm a pedophile!.

You would be arrested if you did that in the UK.  In China, I have seen the results when a man has been found "interfering" with children. Police don't ask permission from anyone. 

Besides, it is against the law to give anything to beggers in Phils I believe. So why put yourself in that position?? 

No and it newer happened!

You can not read laws as the devil reading the bible.

Again, lax enforcement does not make a law good. In fact, it often means the opposite; if the law cannot be strictly enforced it's a good sign it has issues. 

So, if I meet a kid on a beach, who begs for money for food and I take pity on him and take him to Jolly Bee and buy him a meal.

Then back to the beach and I'm chatting with him trying to figure out how to help him solve his problems and someone figures my intentions are bad - maybe I'm a pedophile!

I used to bring some of the little rice packets (8-12) from McDonald's out with me when I exited the store, as a way to give something without giving pesos. Sometimes they would follow me for a bit after thanking me profusely. Accidental felon. 

Do you think that if you explained the above situation to the authorities that they would actually arrest you?

The fact they COULD is the issue, not if they WOULD. 

I have fewer issues by far with laws like this that are well written, but laws like this that actually attempt to make harmless behavior illegal are the sort of laws that need to be MOST CAREFULLY written, and RA7610 is not. 

Edited by Cipro
  • Like 1

The fact they COULD is the issue, not if they WOULD.

And a meteorite can hit you in the head, the law people here should really fear is RA9262, not 7610.
Your wife / partner may get you banned from your apartment or your common residence if she complains to Barangay that you shouting at her. (Psychological violence)
She needs no evidence or witnesses, they will give her a Barangay Protection Order against you.
The BPO is an order issued for the purpose of preventing further acts of violence against a woman or her child specified in R.A. 9262 (physical, sexual, and psychological violence, and economic abuse)
PURPOSE:
safeguarding the victim from further harm
minimizing any disruption in the victim’s daily life
facilitating the opportunity and ability of the victim to independently regain control over her life

The BPO is a prohibition for you to not not harassing, annoying, telephoning, contacting or otherwise communicating with your wife / partner.
BPO is effective for 15 days.
You may be banned from your own apartment, even if you own it or pay the rent, so long as this is the joint residence

RA9262 is a law that is being used and misused often, not RA7610.

USMC-Retired

PNP stations outside of major cities do not have the personnel or equipment to do investigations and it is not part of their job description. They take complaints and submit the information from the complaint to a judge who will issue a warrant after giving the accused a chance to respond. If any investigation is needed it is turned over to CIDG which is not local. Once a warrant is issued, they make the arrest.

That should scare the shit out of any sane man. Arrested, charged by the police yet wait they can not investigate if the crime actually happen. People wonder why innocent people are killed, raped, and placed in human trafficing. There is not investigating of crimes. Only when a complaint is filed and not bought off. Ripe for corruption.

SkyMan

No and it newer happened!
It has happened as I outlined previously so you cannot say it never happened.  And that's a mute point anyway.  It could happen.  It very well could happen.
  • Like 1
SkyMan

I haven't heard of this ever happening
Then you haven't read my posts and you just refuse to acknowledge you're wrong.  It has happened.
  • Like 1

And a meteorite can hit you in the head, the law people here should really fear is RA9262, not 7610.

Your wife / partner may get you banned from your apartment or your common residence if she complains to Barangay that you shouting at her. (Psychological violence)

She needs no evidence or witnesses, they will give her a Barangay Protection Order against you.

The BPO is an order issued for the purpose of preventing further acts of violence against a woman or her child specified in R.A. 9262 (physical, sexual, and psychological violence, and economic abuse)

PURPOSE:

safeguarding the victim from further harm

minimizing any disruption in the victim’s daily life

facilitating the opportunity and ability of the victim to independently regain control over her life

The BPO is a prohibition for you to not not harassing, annoying, telephoning, contacting or otherwise communicating with your wife / partner.

BPO is effective for 15 days.

You may be banned from your own apartment, even if you own it or pay the rent, so long as this is the joint residence

RA9262 is a law that is being used and misused often, not RA7610.

Isnt this the whole point regarding law and fear for foreigners living here ? Many laws here can be used against an innocent man at any time the powers that be choose to do so . Just knowing that an offended local , bad luck , or corruption can cost you your freedom makes for a badly written law regardless how many are prosecuted . Does knowing this have any effects on quality of life and day to day living here for other foreigners ?         maybe its just me

SkyMan

Without 7610 , they must have concrete and good evidence and cooperation with the child which is of course only witness' and the parents of the child need to be involved, before they can do anything. Then to a judge to obtain a warrant. BUT it's not easy to get cooperation with a child you pay, many parents are also very negative and non-cooperative.
So your solution is to come up with a bullshit law that says we can arrest anyone anytime for being near a kid with no proof of anything other than they were near a kid.  That is utter hogwash.
  • Like 1
smokey

You would be arrested if you did that in the UK.  In China, I have seen the results when a man has been found "interfering" with children. Police don't ask permission from anyone. 

Besides, it is against the law to give anything to beggers in Phils I believe. So why put yourself in that position?? 

so then the professional beggers you know the ones with the 3 month old baby hanging from the hip that knock on your window and if you don't give will in some cases spit on your window or what happened to me by SM seaside the kids about 4 are knocking on the window and when I don't give use a nail to scratch down the side of my car... all this in sight of the police who are way to busy texting to look up .... more fun in the Philippines

• Like 1

And a meteorite can hit you in the head ...

If a law was responsible for that I'd call that one a travesty also. 

It has happened as I outlined previously so you cannot say it never happened.  And that's a mute point anyway.  It could happen.  It very well could happen.

Where is our "LALALALA" emoticon?

Without 7610 , they must have concrete and good evidence and cooperation with the child which is of course only witness' and the parents of the child need to be involved, before they can do anything. Then to a judge to obtain a warrant.

BUT it's not easy to get cooperation with a child you pay, many parents are also very negative and non-cooperative.

Without this bullsh*t act they need actual evidence before ruining someone's life, yes. What a f*ckng concept. 

Ask yourself why RA7610 isn't strictly enforced, and answer honestly. 

USMC-Retired

The law is not only for foreigners

With a wink and a Filipino smile. My ass it was created because of the human trafficing and sex trade. The world pressure hence let's show the world we are doing something.

• Like 1

bullshit law

Sorry but I do not see it as a bullshit law, either can I see someone being imprisoned for normal contact with children

And if bullshit laws put innocent in jail then US must have many bullshit laws.

"About 10,000 people in the United States may be wrongfully convicted of serious crimes each year"

10,000 INNOCENT PEOPLE CONVICTED EACH YEAR, STUDY ESTIMATES

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- About 10,000 people in the United States may be wrongfully convicted of serious crimes each year, a new study suggests.

The results are based on a survey of 188 judges, prosecuting attorneys, public defenders, sheriffs and police

chiefs in Ohio and 41 state attorneys general.

The study also found that the most important factor leading to wrongful conviction is eyewitness

misidentification.

Read more @ researchnews.osu.edu

And china.. WOW

And we need to have bullshit laws in Norway Australia and .....

Possibly it would be better here in the Philippines for most of us if more foreigners engaged against foreigners who abuse children in this country. A clearly a NO against the abuse of minors. Instead of trying to remove / ridicule laws that actually gets abusers prosecuted.

• Like 3

...... the law people here should really fear is RA9262, not 7610. .....

I don't know that law, but you may be right that it too is an ill conceived or badly written law.

A great deal of Phil Government etc writing is imprecise, of vague meaning or otherwise badly written in English. (maybe the local language version is better written? - i don't know).

Law needs to be well written, clear in it's meaning and precise.

I guess that if Phil Law is to be written in English, it requires appropriately educated, experienced English speakers to write it.

If the Phils can't find such people among locals,  maybe they should hire some foreigners or accept some of the overseas aid offers they have for technical assistance?

• Like 1