Underage/minors

USMC-Retired

Child sex tourism is known as a serious problem in the Philippines, we need laws like this or equivalent.

(Also remember that before August 1988 you could legally marry a 14-year-old girl here in the Philippines.)

No you need laws like this when the police are inept or inefficient to enforce laws. There were already laws preventing it. However those laws did not prove to work so let's remove the enforcers and place the burden on the accused. When you do this it leads to abuse by the enforcer because there is nothing holding accountable. Additionally the slow wheels of justice without assistance could led to false imprisonment.

• Like 1
  • Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HTM

• SkyMan

• Cipro

• USMC-Retired

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why all this interest in Underage/Minors ? As I see it, the law may not be well written (very few are) but it is quite clear So it puzzles me why so many mature aged guys are getting all worked up o

I think it's important to keep a sense of perspective here.   Contrary to what a lot of posters seem to believe, the Filipinos are not out to get us.   Perhaps over consumption of cheap alcohol ca

We have three kids of our own, 3.5,8.10..all boys,also raise the wife's two younger siblings girl 13..boy 19.....the house is always full of their friends...almost never a time during the day, especia

Posted Images

Yes and he was not the sisters bf.

The family didn't come, go an get a copy of the case and u c the history is a bit different then "a man give his gf sister a ride on his mc"

Why are you telling me to go and get a copy of the case ?

I only reported what I saw in the media and claimed no other,or further knowledge.

I'm not a sad ass, nosy foreigner who needs to know everyone else's business.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Why are you telling me to go and get a copy of the case ?

Sorry Gus! It was not really to you,   It was only a statement from me, saying that case is more then you can read in the media.

(Also remember that before August 1988 you could legally marry a 14-year-old girl here in the Philippines.)

I guess that would make Muslims wait 5 extra years even then ......

Tullioz

I guess that would make Muslims wait 5 extra years even then ......

A muslim girl can still be married to another Muslim once she reaches puberty in the Philippines, but not younger than 12. This also applies to lumad groups as well. . 

Edited by Tullioz
Skywalker

A muslim girl can still be married to another Muslim once she reaches puberty in the Philippines, but not younger than 12.

Isn't there something a little disturbing about this?

Legalised child molestation, praise the Lord.

There's something wrong with this picture.

• Like 2
Tullioz

Isn't there something a little disturbing about this?

Legalised child molestation, praise the Lord.

There's something wrong with this picture.

Child marriage is a worldwide problem and not exclusive to Islam, but a disturbing practice never the less. I have attended several such weddings since living here in the Philippines, but it is a cultural practice and something I have no business interfering with. In all the cases I have witnessed, the groom was of the same age as the girl or there was only a couple of years difference between the two. 

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 1

A muslim girl can still be married to another Muslim once she reaches puberty in the Philippines, but not younger than 12. This also applies to lumad groups as well. . 

The Muslim law was really a bit stricter than the "normal" law in Philippine they had before 1988. The minimum age in Philippines was 14 for girls, but for Muslim girls it was and are 15 (With approval from the Shari'a District Court it can be 12)

Skywalker
but it is a cultural practice and something I have no business interfering with

Some cultural practices should be stopped.  Like Female Genital Mutilation.

This cult is being sponsored by the Government to allow these insidious practices to go on.

But it's none of our business.  Astonishing.  Never mind the poor bloody children, as long as the culture is maintained.

Makes for very poor reading.

Edit:  And if you seriously disagree, then don't attend the ceremonies.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 3

Child marriage is a worldwide problem and not exclusive to Islam, but a disturbing practice never the less. I have attended several such weddings since living here in the Philippines, but it is a cultural practice and something I have no business interfering with. In all the cases I have witnessed, the groom was of the same age as the girl or there was only a couple of years difference between the two. 

Or Philippines.

Child marriage chart reveals girls can wed at 12 in some parts of the US - as lawmakers battle to raise age to 16

Several states - including Massachusetts - allow children to get married 'in exceptional circumstances'

• Like 2
Tullioz

Some cultural practices should be stopped.  Like Female Genital Mutilation.

Edit:  And if you seriously disagree, then don't attend the ceremonies.

No argument with the FMG needing to be stopped, but one could argue that male circumcision is also an outdated custom. Too far off topic, so no more needs to be said about that in this thread.  But in some cultures early marriage is a matter of survival due to high infant mortality rates and short lifespans. While I may not approve of this practice personally, cultural traditions still need to be respected in my opinion. I will continue to attend such weddings when invited, because it be an insult to the families if I refused. My attendance or failure to attend will not have any affect on the practice one way or the other, so protesting in such a way would be pointless.  

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 2

In Medieval and early modern European societies, the age of marriage remained low, with documented cases of brides as young as seven years, although marriages were typically not consummated until the girl reached puberty

The Scottish Law prior to 1900s:
By the law of Scotland, a woman cannot contrabere sponsalia before her age of seven years.
But by common law, persons may marry at any age. And upon such marriage the wife shall be endowed, if the attain the age of nine years, of what whatsoever age her husband be; but not before the age of nine years.

Professor of Sociology Anthony Joseph Paul Cortese says that a 50 year old man being with a girl under 10 (being intimate) Under United States law was legal until the mid 1960s

Tullioz

Why all this interest in Underage/Minors ?

As I see it, the law may not be well written (very few are) but it is quite clear

So it puzzles me why so many mature aged guys are getting all worked up over it.

There are so many of more than legal age here in the PI that the question whether someone is underage or a minor shouldn't even have to be asked. :idontknow:

This why I said earlier that unless someone is planning on abusing a minor or they are already doing so, there is no need to start worrying about this law now. It has been on the books since 1992, and it has not been used to round up innocent adults to date. If a person is a decent human being and not messing around with underage girls/boys, there is really nothing for them to worry about. On the other hand, if a person is messing around with minors, then they have a lot to worry about and rightfully so.

• Like 6

As I wrote early here

If you want to help families and children here in the Philippines it's very great, but you have to do it correct and follow the country's laws and regulations!

Your wife's family is an option that may be the safest.

Your gf or bf family is an option that also may be ok, but you need to take precautions since they then is not yours family. (as if they were a total stranger family without any associated you) Under no circumstances don't stay alone with these children.

Remember:

There are many organizations and projects that you can safely support.

• Like 4