Sign in to follow this  
b7335920

Do you regret moving to the philippines and why?

bahalina buong

I don't know if anyone can appreciate that part of the culture...but I think recognizing that it is, in fact a cultural issue is important. Most times that it has happened to me or a friend the offending party did not mean harm...they just don't know any better.

Sounds like you've had more than your share of the lies though. It's tough to understand how someone that you've grown fond of, (family members, neighbors, even lovers), could stab you in the back!

I believe that this is a way of life for some locals and I also believe the expat community helps grow this paradigm. Not allowing yourself to be taken advantage of is key. If we allow it...we perpetuate it!

That's quite a leap to ASSume I've been screwed over by the locals and loved ones, and am even the source of the problem by perpetuating it.  It's actually quite a dumb assertion.  It doesn't take a genius to see how toxic and negative the culture here is, and I've watched many good people, both locals and expats, get taken advantage of here.  Having to constantly be suspicious of others and their motives is not much fun.

TheWhiteKnight

That's quite a leap to ASSume I've been screwed over by the locals and loved ones, and am even the source of the problem by perpetuating it.  It's actually quite a dumb assertion.  It doesn't take a genius to see how toxic and negative the culture here is, and I've watched many good people, both locals and expats, get taken advantage of here.  Having to constantly be suspicious of others and their motives is not much fun.

It's funny everyone hates you here but I tend to agree with almost every post you have ever made. 

So are you really planning to go back to the US ? How do you earn a living in Leyte ?

Ungaro

Here are the top 25 reasons my Filipina wife and I have moved to Europe. We have another 40 but wish to respect your time and attention span. 

We like

1. to breathe without having to chew
  2. to stroll down sidewalks
  3. to cross streets and have cars stop instead of risking our lives
  4. living in a community not surrounded by trash strewn everywhere
  5. it that when we turn on the tap, water comes out, sometimes even HOT water
  6. it that when we turn on the light switch, the lights come on -- every time
  7. having super fast internet everywhere, all the time
  8. paying with plastic without having to run around the store in search of a reader that works
  9. that the streets don't flood regularly. We live in a country that is not in the monsoon belt yet there are sewers to handle rainwater runoff (first built by the Romans over 2000 years ago)
  10. being able to deal with all government and utility services online instead of having to appear in person for every little thing
  11. to travel without having to pay terminal use fees and departure taxes
  12. to drive on motorways and access controlled roads at 130 km/h without having to worry about goats, dogs, drying rice or copra, cows, drunks, etc. on the road
  13. to drive, even at night, where everyone lowers their high beams when oncoming traffic approaches
  14. to drive where there are ample signs directing traffic
  15. to enjoy pervasive public transit that is clean, comfortable and free to everyone over 65 years of age (including intercity trains and buses)
  16. shopping without huge speakers wounding our eardrums before entering a store
  17. to celebrate Christmas but only after mid-December
  18. to celebrate New Years but in moderation
  19. entering stores without being frisked
  20. dining where we can actually hear each other talk, without screaming kids climbing the walls and other patrons trying to outyell the loud music
  21. getting services withoout having to pay a "long nose tax"
  22. being treated fairly instead of being automatically at fault in any displute with a local
  23. eating fresh vegetables in great variety
  24. eating breads and other baked goods that are not sweet
  25. eating dairy products that do not cost an arm and a leg and can be found everywhere (cheeses, yoghurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, kefir, real butter, etc.)
Edited by Ungaro
  • Like 8

Dafey

That's quite a leap to ASSume I've been screwed over

Wow..BB, I wasn't trying to assume anything. Your post was so strongly worded it sounded like this had happened many times. My apologies.

smokey

I think perverts and criminals come to the Philippines for exactly those reasons. Living on the wild side is very difficult if there is no dishonesty, corruption, indecency and immaturity. If all the laws were well-enforced, there would be no sex industry or drug trade in the Philippines. There would be no parents who were willing to let their minor children become involved with foreigners.

yes they sure don't need to import them plenty already here

• Like 1

b7335920

Here are the top 25 reasons my Filipina wife and I have moved to Europe. We have another 40 but wish to respect your time and attention span. 

We like

8. paying with plastic without having to run around the store in search of a reader that works
  9. that the streets don't flood regularly. We live in a country that is not in the monsoon belt yet there are sewers to handle rainwater runoff (first built by the Romans over 2000 years ago)
  10. being able to deal with all government and utility services online instead of having to appear in person for every little thing
  12. to drive on motorways and access controlled roads at 130 km/h without having to worry about goats, dogs, drying rice or copra, cows, drunks, etc. on the road
  13. to drive, even at night, where everyone lowers their high beams when oncoming traffic approaches
  15. to enjoy pervasive public transit that is clean, comfortable and free to everyone over 65 years of age (including intercity trains and buses)
  16. shopping without huge speakers wounding our eardrums before entering a store
  20. dining where we can actually hear each other talk, without screaming kids climbing the walls and other patrons trying to outyell the loud music
  22. being treated fairly instead of being automatically at fault in any displute with a local
  25. eating dairy products that do not cost an arm and a leg and can be found everywhere (cheeses, yoghurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, kefir, real butter, etc.)

How are the women to look at ?   Ya i miss driving 70 mph with the radio on and the smell and scenery of trees and lakes and mountains . I even miss the cool crisp air leaving the house ( even the snow)...And i miss shopping at wynco (big grocery store in usa).....I never really appreciated these things but do now     Good job making the big escape and sounds like you made a wise move. When i find the right filippina ill be following your footsteps ...... not europe but escaping nonetheless    and please send the list of the other 40 when time permits

• Like 1

smokey

We like

dang you cant take the chaos come on its fun cut off jeeps and drive slow ... like they do.... take up two lanes like they do .... when they flash their lights at me I flash mine back .. confuses them .. haha

• Like 1

smokey

i do miss going out with my cousin ..post-35-0-86327000-1476613964_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ungaro

How are the women to look at ?

Well, since I am happily married for over five years now, I couldn't care less. Once you have the best, you can leave the rest.

• Like 8

b7335920

Well, since I am happily married for over five years now, I couldn't care less. Once you have the best, you can leave the rest.

I was hoping you would say that !

ozboy

You could have always stayed home instead......

post-7902-0-99455400-1476615739.png

• Like 2

mikewright

i do miss going out with my cousin ..attachicon.gifrzm13pfpbpec1hoskd12.jpg

Which one is your cousin?

ckfm

We like

It's all true but what a boring life.

smokey

Which one is your cousin?

the one driving we are told often we have the same features.... his feet are bigger then mine by 2 sizes .. that's how you can tell us apart

ex231

It's all true but what a boring life.

Sometimes boring is good. Every day in the Philippines I'd think "Nothing is easy and everyday is like camping".

• Like 3