Sign in to follow this  
b7335920

Do you regret moving to the philippines and why?

miles-high

Regret? I love it here :D

Went to St. Luke’s for bi-annual checkup… All OK till next physical next March… Went to Santis… Bought nice bottles of Bordeaux red, white asparagus, air-dried bacon, salami Milano, St. Albano cheese, radicchio and some greens for salad, real French foie gras, a jar of Gurkentopf and excellent baguette…

What a dinner… only in the Philippines (NCR :D)… wife preparing for mid-term exams in the US… she would miss it haha :D

You can’t buy these things in the US, particularly foie gras, animal cruelty, yeah, ok, but we roast peppers, shrimps, anise roots, egg plants, etc. Do they feel “heat”? I don’t know but I enjoy eating them… :D

Edited by miles-high
  • Like 2

Rebuilder86

Thread is getting a bit chaotic.

Op had a great queation that many are too polite to ask.

Im also interested to hear what specific things have driven others to decide to leave!

For me, nothing could make me choose to go back to a western girl, my gf here is light years ahead of any aussie chick.

But i didnt come here looking for it, we just sort of found each other...

• Like 2

colemanlee

Thread is getting a bit chaotic.

Op had a great queation that many are too polite to ask.

Im also interested to hear what specific things have driven others to decide to leave!

For me, nothing could make me choose to go back to a western girl, my gf here is light years ahead of any aussie chick.

But i didnt come here looking for it, we just sort of found each other...

Same here, total accident we met....and I would not go back to a US girl for any money or reason

• Like 1

TheWhiteKnight

I regret not moving here in 2006, I visited Hawaii instead.

ckfm

I regret not moving here in 2006, I visited Hawaii instead.

Lol, that's funny. I did the same in 2001.

bahalina buong
I've no regrets coming here in 2010.  It hasn't worked out as great as I had hoped and the Filipino people themselves have been the big disappointment.  Not everyone can appreciate a negative culture full of dishonesty, corruption, indecency and immaturity.  And frankly, I'm a little suspicious now of any expats who says they truly relate to these people.  

What makes me laugh is when it's said that a guy "couldn't hack it" or washed out".  FFS, it's not marine boot camp where you suffer miserably to just complete the course.  It's life and some people have higher standards of living quality and higher standards of human behavior.  Not to sound uppity, but some people are too good for this country. 

But no regrets coming, as I met my wife and learned a lot.  It's also heaps better to now know this isn't the place for me to retire, instead of being back in the US planning for my fantasy escape, looking at a picture of a pretty girl on the beach thumb tacked to the wall of my cubicle.

• Like 1

JohnD

Not everyone can appreciate a negative culture full of dishonesty, corruption, indecency and immaturity.  And frankly, I'm a little suspicious now of any expats who says they truly relate to these people.  

100% correct and on target.

Skywalker

My life here is like Robinson Crusoe.

You found Man Friday? Hehe

Kabisay-an gid

Regret? I love it here :D

Went to St. Luke’s for bi-annual checkup… All OK till next physical next March… Went to Santis… Bought nice bottles of Bordeaux red, white asparagus, air-dried bacon, salami Milano, St. Albano cheese, radicchio and some greens for salad, real French foie gras, a jar of Gurkentopf and excellent baguette…

What a dinner… only in the Philippines (NCR :D)… wife preparing for mid-term exams in the US… she would miss it haha :D

You can’t buy these things in the US, particularly foie gras, animal cruelty, yeah, ok, but we roast peppers, shrimps, anise roots, egg plants, etc. Do they feel “heat”? I don’t know but I enjoy eating them… :D

It's always good to hear from an upbeat, positive chap like miles-high! He's proof that you can't keep a good man down!  :cheers:

smokey

It's always good to hear from an upbeat, positive chap like miles-high! He's proof that you can't keep a good man down!  :cheers:

hey  I am positive too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  if only I could find a good corvette mech. oh and more valet parking I could be very happy but alas often we must suffer

tomaw

Just from the title "Do you regret...", this thread like many others seems to be inviting negative respones. I'm going to put in a simular question worded differently to see if I can get a different response.

Salty Dog

Just from the title "Do you regret...", this thread like many others seems to be inviting negative respones. I'm going to put in a simular question worded differently to see if I can get a different response.

Why? Would you expect different answers?

If you change the statement to a positive statement those who said no will be saying yes and vice versa. Same old, same old.... :db:

• Like 1

Dafey

Not everyone can appreciate a negative culture full of dishonesty, corruption, indecency and immaturity

I don't know if anyone can appreciate that part of the culture...but I think recognizing that it is, in fact a cultural issue is important. Most times that it has happened to me or a friend the offending party did not mean harm...they just don't know any better.

Sounds like you've had more than your share of the lies though. It's tough to understand how someone that you've grown fond of, (family members, neighbors, even lovers), could stab you in the back!

I believe that this is a way of life for some locals and I also believe the expat community helps grow this paradigm. Not allowing yourself to be taken advantage of is key. If we allow it...we perpetuate it!

• Like 2

Headshot

I don't know if anyone can appreciate that part of the culture.

I think perverts and criminals come to the Philippines for exactly those reasons. Living on the wild side is very difficult if there is no dishonesty, corruption, indecency and immaturity. If all the laws were well-enforced, there would be no sex industry or drug trade in the Philippines. There would be no parents who were willing to let their minor children become involved with foreigners.

Edited by Headshot

For Real

You hear lots of complaining from expats about living in the philippines. Do you regret your decision to move here and why? And if you already left the philippines why did you go ?

Its difficult to discern who is genuinely complaining and who is venting online, this is much clearer when you frequent a local watering hole and work out who to avoid like the plague. 

Don't regret moving to the Philippines. I had a family from Cebu and it was a good thing to stop there for a while. If i had my time again I'd ensure my plan of being there for a couple of years (not 6). I would have stayed longer if the ventures I undertook worked out, I got out of the Philippines so i could start making real money.

I eventually moved home as planned and hope my family get Aussie passports in the Future. If i live long enough a retirement plan B could involve the Philippines but that hinges on DU 30 making the place more productive, less corrupt and it doesn't become a communist state with the decisions currently being made.