Sign in to follow this  
b7335920

Do you regret moving to the philippines and why?

SkyMan

When I first found LinC forum I was somewhat dismayed at the amount of bitching and moaning taking place, but quickly came to realise that actually the people complaining the most are a minority, half of whom don't even live/visit the RP, these are also the ones who appear to post the most, therefore giving a false impression that many complain.
I also think a lot of the time complaints are misinterpreted as being serious when really it's more tongue in check.  Hard to convey that in text though.  
  • Like 1

ozboy

Whippy had No Regrets but he kept getting Banned....Guess he knew more about the Philippines than most of us.....and he financed all his adventures by selling ice cream to the Poms... :scratch_head:

RFulmer

Do you want the patronizing version or the honest blunt one?

Ok here is my patronizing version

the people are friendly, warm, smile and pretty much leave you alone if you are not a loud, complaining bitching disgruntled disrespecting ass.

You can get your self esteem back if you were trampled on by western bitches in your younger years or had some issues that caused you to withdrawal from society like me. Even if they scam you, at least they are warm and love you even for a night haha

You can find many beautiful beaches and remote places, islands etc to live like Survivorman on coconuts, topical fruits and fish. But it gets a bit old after about 6-8 months and you soon miss real food if you have smuggled a tv to your island and see all the fancy delicious cuisine getting cooked all day. Me and my misses would watch programs like masterchef a lot from our beach shack and our mouths were watering 24/7 and all we did after awhile was talk about what foods we wished we had lol... we attempted to make some poor mans versions of the dishes from seaweed and coconuts but after a  month like that, losing weight and headaches we packed up , headed closer to the city and started to make real food again.

You also have to deal with the heat, living high up in the mountains is nice, if you live where it's too hot you can't think properly, work or do much besides get annoyed. Even aircon is not the same, you need fresh cool air otherwise you go insane after too long like that. If you live in the city at least get away for a few days to the beach every week or to the mountains to clean your head.

Now for the honest blunt version.

i really got tired finding girlfriends who constantly lied and tried to scam me and no I did not meet them in bars, they were all family provincial girls bar one who was a uni student in city. Even though I was younger than many expats I met there and probably way better looking ;) they still managed to screw another guy when I would head back home to make us more money for our planned marriage haha. what a fecken joke and I didn't need shadow to work it out, facebook is your friend ;), yeah it happened a couple of times. just don;t look for stunning 19 -22 year old's as they are very sexually excited and don't expect them to remain virgins for 6 months or more while you kid yourself they are waiting for you, WAKEUP!!! ,

Honestly most of you guys are kidding yourselves. I see some have dreams that their wives are working in the USA for both of their futures, don't believe it. they are there for them and their family, Most often, you are the last thing in the equation. Even if you have kids to them you are still the end of the line. You are only there as you offer some sort of thing they might need.

Now there are exceptions I know that but very few from what I have seen with my own eyes for myself and many others.The only way I would ever do it again would be to be a super tough guy and lay out the rules right from the start. You also need money, don;t think you can scrape by and live on a tight budget while finding a wife. If you don't have the cash in the bank then head home and get some sorted out if your goal is to find a partner. Money is important because you have power, if you live like a beggar you will end up being one but at the same time never have more money they you need.. All the successful guys i met there had savings, businesses, real estate or a good women and family behind them that was not scamming them.

As for your woman, I don't mean to sound like a controlling asshole (the problem was I should have been more like that)  but just make sure you have a solid plan and they know what it is from the start and of course they should have a say too but work it all out from the start. Don't write the rules as you go. Keep an eye on them, watch their Facebook, do they post pics of you and her regularly or is it mainly just her or her and  clowns she says are cousins or brothers?  That is sure giveaway and don't believe any excuses, oh but ...  if they don't have a fb then they are bs you and probably blocked you.

You also  have to decide if you are going to be a boozing party animal and allow a little time for your relationship.. If you decide to be a family guy but she tells you to go out more then that is a red flag, that is what happened to me, I had good intentions, in the end I ended up a drugged out party animal alco and penniless haha but it sure was fun. If you say we should seriously get moving with marriage and she says slow down then that is a red flag . if she says lets get married soon and her parents say get marred soon then that is a red flag, especially if she has a baby ;) don;t look for girls with babies or ex's, more trouble than it's worth unless you enjoy that sort of thing. If you think you are street smart and will pick up on any bs then think again, they know you more than you know yourself once you are in their territory

Honestly if I had to do it again I would get a little motorcycle, ride around on a tight budget (but have lots of money in the bank if needed)  from one place to the next meeting lots of locals along the way, helping poor kids and never wasting time on time wasters. If along the way you meet an amazing women then you have done well but don't look for it and don't expect it. Just get out and enjoy your travel. You can find plenty of girls who you can date along the way but don't let them rein you in, keep moving and correspond to them so you can go back later to the ones you want to see again.

As for the other annoying things there, well headaches from loud neighbors and dodgy landlords was the only things that bothered me enough to get to me a bit so just avoid renting a home that you can't walk away from anytime, just pay month to month. You make the rules, no them, if not find another place. Don't let slow internet or cheap plastic crappy things break you, expect that sort of thing so have a good book to turn to for those testing times. Keep your temper in check, never get pissed, just laugh things off and tell yourself "welcome to the Philippines".

When you first get there then sure, spend some time chasing women in the cities, party at bars and meet some other expats for some laughs and drinks but the Philippines get much better when you explore the remote areas, the tropical islands and you just take each day as it comes. You don't need to take a woman along, she will cost you triple of what it would cost you alone and restrict you. You would be wiser to just pay someone to come along for the first week just to show you the country a bit before you head off by your big bad self. The good thing is motorcycles are cheap to buy or rent and you can write your own art of motorcycle maintenance book on your travel if you like, blog or take pics to send back to granny.

I've toured the Philippines, I got my confidence back with women so it paid off for me even if I came out of it alone which I now feel quite glad about. Now I'm able to meet local girls here again now so I will not hurry to go back there to get laid until I'm retired in 10 - 15 years then I might consider going back to enjoy some time there but if I travel  I will go see the rest of the world as I really think the Philippines is fecked right now or is heading that way.  I could not handle having Duterte propaganda rammed down by throat every time I go out or get  a taxi or whatever, it will take at least a decade for it to recover from these dark times as far as I'm concerned. Some like his dictatorship and the new Philippines that he is creating. I used to love the way it was, now you won't even be able to smoke there soon. that was the  best thing I liked how it was so non-pc and you could buy a packet of fake camels or cigars for 60 pesos and smoke in a bar or watch some music in an outdoor bar drinking cheap beers with a couple of lovely ladies keeping you company. The way it's heading those days will be long gone. Enjoy it while you can..

• Like 6

smokey

Well can i live in the USA on two thousand a month, maybe can i have a new car, a nice place to live a young girlfriend, a young wife who lets me have a GF and only see her on the weekends when she not in school along with the daughter . Eat good each day at the different places in the mall, smile at the pretty girls some even smile back.Tell the working girls no thank you!!! you  to old for me. Then head to Carcar each weekend to  eat at sugars. Wow what a life, just wish i was young again so i could really get into it like young young studs !!!!

don't forget if the Philippines gets to western we can always go to Bangladesh and be rock stars all over again

• Like 3

Jester

People picked the wrong locations and wrong neighbors and spent the rest of life complaining.

I'll wait until I hear complaints from those living in normal places like this:

640px-Bonifacio_Global_City_and_Manila_G

I'd rather have feaking cancer than live there!

• Like 3

miles-high

I'd rather have feaking cancer than live there!

I’d think nothing is more important than being healthy… I’d rather live in a condo, a squatters’ area or deep in the mountain of Catmon or wherever… I think your statement is rather disrespectful of millions of millions of those suffering and fighting cancer… I’m sure they’d rather live in any condos…

• Like 6

perrya

Well. my perspective is if you want tropical weather and beaches, just buy a mobile home in Florida for $15-25K. There are some really nice ones and have the best of both worlds. RE is PH is, in sum, you pay alot for very little. Even a decent size is like 4-7 million peso. Since you cannot own the land, unless married to a local, I will not buy there, unless it is condo. PH is beautiful to visit and chill and experience for short periods of time, driving there is a trip and fun crazy. Snokling is fantastic also. But, to live a daily life there, dealing with the insanity of some things and knowing that, as a foreigner, you are respected for your money first, looks second. Being retired there could be boring after awhile. Unlike in US, where many over 50 yrs have jobs to keep busy and being productive, in PH, it is unheard of. Age discrimination in the workforce is living well there. So, what would you do to stay busy and productive? Hanging at the beach daily is old and even traveling to other parts of PH might be. Starting a business when your married to a local is still not an easy thing to do and remains high risk. So, living in PH for a few months a year is ideal, during the US winter because it is their dry season, just like in Florida. Which brings me back to- why not just live in Florida???

• Like 2

rep1

weren't you the one complaining about wanting to change his lock but the condo rules said no.... and the one complaining on how  hard it is to get decent kitchen ware ?

At least I could complain here.

We don't have high-rise residential in Taipei, city rules. Malls suck too. Nobody care about beauty of things.

ex231

Do you regret moving to the philippines and why?

No, because I ended up meeting and marrying the sweetest girl in the world.

Do I regret moving away from the Philippines? No.

• Like 3

batman2525

Being retired there could be boring after awhile. Unlike in US, where many over 50 yrs have jobs to keep busy and being productive,

The top Realtor in our office(in Florida) was an 78 year old woman.

Monsoon

Do you regret your decision to move here and why?

I do not regret my decision to leave. If I had to return full time to SEA (I visit often) I would choose nearly any other country in the region over the Philippines. 

You can pick a girl with any 2but not all 3.

Those who bring enough to a relationship one can have all three. 

• Like 5

b7335920

Well. my perspective is if you want tropical weather and beaches, just buy a mobile home in Florida for $15-25K. There are some really nice ones and have the best of both worlds. RE is PH is, in sum, you pay alot for very little. Even a decent size is like 4-7 million peso. Since you cannot own the land, unless married to a local, I will not buy there, unless it is condo. PH is beautiful to visit and chill and experience for short periods of time, driving there is a trip and fun crazy. Snokling is fantastic also. But, to live a daily life there, dealing with the insanity of some things and knowing that, as a foreigner, you are respected for your money first, looks second. Being retired there could be boring after awhile. Unlike in US, where many over 50 yrs have jobs to keep busy and being productive, in PH, it is unheard of. Age discrimination in the workforce is living well there. So, what would you do to stay busy and productive? Hanging at the beach daily is old and even traveling to other parts of PH might be. Starting a business when your married to a local is still not an easy thing to do and remains high risk. So, living in PH for a few months a year is ideal, during the US winter because it is their dry season, just like in Florida. Which brings me back to- why not just live in Florida???

good point   find her   marry her   move to florida   I wonder what the average expat life expectancy is here?The difficulty in staying productive is a big drawback in the philippines in my opinion

tomaw

i Agree with you Smokey, 

Also one main reasons people whom can handle it, is if they have enough money to live the life style they want to have.

True, but won't that be even more of a problem in their own country as well.... if they're not working?

cebubird

"do you regret moving to Philippines"?

NOPE

jwillwon3

Laughing about the Driving ! I need a James Bond car that somehow can get dogs in the middle of the road to disappear ! Got to Love those 12 yr old boys driving Lolo and Lola on the back ! No tail light or a white one, no license, no motor registration! Six months there and then can't wait to get home, six months home and snow coming, can't wait to get back. But I do Love my Lady and her family and want to build something there! Money Money Money, is a problem that can fix a lot of things! If I had my castle there with killer garden in the mountains with my underground house (hear NO Roosters ! ) Then I would not go anywhere to much! I want to live off grid, grow most my own food, and be accountable to myself and GOD !   JW :yahoo: