Sign in to follow this  
JohnSurrey

Wifi Problems

JohnSurrey

I've just changed my wifi wireless channel from AP (automatic) to 11 - I had a choice of 1 to 13... as I keep on having problems and noticed again that someone with a Huwaiwee ID is nearby when it happens so maybe this is causing interference.

Just out of interest is there a way to pick the right channel or is it just suck it and see ?

It's working fine again now but that may be because the Huwaiwee wifi has disappeared again...

Woolf

If you have an android smart phone

get this app "WIFI analizer" from play store

then you can see channels used near you and signal levels

PS  it is free

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

Lee

It depends on how much coverage you need on your wifi in your home. In our condo when I had PLDT, because we are high up, I was also having a few issues, so I put my router down low in a shelf box on our tv stand and lined the shelf box with aluminum foil, that seemed to stop the issue that I was having and I still had plenty of coverage in our condo unit but our condo is only 80 sq meters and all on one floor so ymmv.  

Another interference issue to be aware of may be cordless phones and florescent lighting. 

• Like 2

Goetz1965

You must make sure that you use only those channels that are provided in the philippines.
Most US hardware is able to use different channels too that are not supported by hardware made for the philippines. 

Woolf

You must make sure that you use only those channels that are provided in the philippines.

Most US hardware is able to use different channels too that are not supported by hardware made for the philippines. 

It is USA that has restriction on channel use

Check this page, a bit down you will see that USA restrict the use of channel 12, 13 and 14

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

JohnSurrey

If you have an android smart phone

get this app "WIFI analizer" from play store

then you can see channels used near you and signal levels

PS  it is free

I've got it - nice - I'm on channel 12 now as 11 seemed to be losing it a bit... we live in the sticks here so only our signal and the neighbour next door - unfortunately the Huwawei user (presumably phone) isn't always around so haven't tracked him yet.

I'm now wondering if it might be the plug connection which is (was) a little bit loose - when we use the socket for a light the bulb works but makes a strange buzzing sound so perhaps we've been using that connection for the router and that's been setting it off...

I've changed the socket - so might see an improvement.