West Coast USA flights to Cebu

PAL retired the last B747's they had a couple of years ago. (yep, saw it before you changed it)

LAX-CEB is all A343, which isn't so bad if the flight is not full and you get a couple of empty seats together to yourself so you can lay down and sleep.

Man I can't get away with anything lol .. yeah you caught me. Friend of mine did the CEB-LAX and back trip in July and had nothing good to say about the planes.

My wife made a trip back about 3 weeks ago SFO-MNL and I think she was on a PAL 777. Said the flight and plane was good, but the food was crap. On the way back to SFO she was able to stretch out on 3 seats and sleep. Being 4'10" has advantages lol

• Like 1
CommanderData

PAL flies out of JFK with a layover in YVR to take on more passengers and load up on fuel. Total air time around 21 hrs. The PAL prices on this route are very very low if you're dates are flexible. Like $614USD all-in return.

Is that from YVR straight to Cebu? That could be an interesting backup choice for me in the future! Right now total time in the air with Cathay Pacific Boston-Cebu is about 17-18 hours, with about 3 hours in Hong Kong. 

The downside of PAL right now is I need to fly Boston - JFK on Jetblue first (or similar airline for Boston to the West Coast), then start the PAL journey, which adds more airport layovers and expense. Plus I had problems in the past arriving back too late for the last flight from JFK - Boston, which meant having to spring for a hotel overnight in New York. If PAL extends service to Boston someday it would give me a chance to burn some of my Mabuhay Miles stockpile  :good:

I had it even worse quite a few years back when I was living in Dumaguete. Would deal with JFK and multiple stops, eventually landing in Manila sometime in the morning and waiting for the next flight out to DGT (usually not until that afternoon). That would take 2 whole days of travel spread across multiple airports and airlines!

Needless to say, these days I am willing to spend more for fewer stops and better airports along the way :) 

Related to the thread topic: There was a time I actually considered moving to California to make my back and forth trips shorter and easier to plan. I calculated that I would have been able to live in a one bedroom apartment right in San Francisco for *less* than it was costing me in housing (admittedly a very nice house) and travel from/to the Northeast! 

Yeah, when I flew from SFO-Cebu, the plane was packed. Flew PAL all the way, bags checked in at SFO and to my astonishment, arrived in Cebu. The plane was not 777. I think it was 18 hrs. Arrived in NAIA at 3 am, nobody and no lines, walked through customs and immigration in 15 min. On the way back, it was on a 50% full 777, had empty seats to use. 

Buko Beach

Is that from YVR straight to Cebu? That could be an interesting backup choice for me in the future! Right now total time in the air with Cathay Pacific Boston-Cebu is about 17-18 hours, with about 3 hours in Hong Kong.

No, I wish, PAL out of Vancouver flies to MNL only. The only long-haul PAL flight that currently goes to Cebu is LAX-CEB.

The downside of PAL right now is I need to fly Boston - JFK on Jetblue first (or similar airline for Boston to the West Coast), then start the PAL journey, which adds more airport layovers and expense. Plus I had problems in the past arriving back too late for the last flight from JFK - Boston, which meant having to spring for a hotel overnight in New York. If PAL extends service to Boston someday it would give me a chance to burn some of my Mabuhay Miles stockpile  :good:

I had it even worse quite a few years back when I was living in Dumaguete. Would deal with JFK and multiple stops, eventually landing in Manila sometime in the morning and waiting for the next flight out to DGT (usually not until that afternoon). That would take 2 whole days of travel spread across multiple airports and airlines!

Needless to say, these days I am willing to spend more for fewer stops and better airports along the way :) 

Related to the thread topic: There was a time I actually considered moving to California to make my back and forth trips shorter and easier to plan. I calculated that I would have been able to live in a one bedroom apartment right in San Francisco for *less* than it was costing me in housing (admittedly a very nice house) and travel from/to the Northeast!

I think flying direct out of Boston with one stop and into Cebu is the way to go. That allows you to avoid NAIA and risk missing your connecting flight out of JFK, as you pointed out.

I fully understand your situation/concerns, because I'm in the same boat. I usually fly PAL and have to take a connecting flight to YYZ (Toronto). While I have never missed my return connecting flight (out of YYZ) there have been some very close calls caused by late PAL departures out of NAIA.

Edited by Salty Dog
Fixed Quote
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
survivor adik

Usually direct flights are more expensive vs one (or more) stops.

FYI, PAL uses both the newer B773 and the older A343 out of LAX, mainly due to multiple daily flights. SFO flights are almost exclusively B773 these days unless an aircraft is down for maintenance and PAL subs in a A343 as a replacement.

PAL also intends to run a second SFO-MNL flight (PR114-PR115) on Monday/Wed/Fri for the Dec-Jan Christmas rush, which will be the older A343.

Effective Dec. 6, MNL-LAX (PR102/103, PR 112/113) will be double daily on the B77W. 

Manila – Los Angeles

eff 30OCT16 PR112/113 moves from night-time to day-time service (4 weekly A340)

eff 06DEC16 PR112/113 increases from 4 weekly to daily, 777-300ER replaces A340-300

PR112 MNL1125 – 0800LAX 77W D

PR102 MNL2100 – 1735LAX 77W D

PR113 LAX1100 – 1825+1MNL 77W D

PR103 LAX2045 – 0410+2MNL 77W D

Buko Beach

Effective Dec. 6, MNL-LAX (PR102/103, PR 112/113) will be double daily on the B77W.

Yep, with the release of PAL's Winter schedule a couple of days ago the rumored flight increases were confirmed.

PAL also increased N. American flight frequency the last couple of years to take advantage of the Christmas rush, but those flights were only temporary (Dec-Jan).

The new flights are scheduled to stay until March 2017 when the Summer schedule comes out. That gives PAL a couple of months to decide if passenger demand is sufficient and the new flights become permanent. I'm betting they will stay, MNL-LAX and MNL-YYZ are the two biggest revenue generators (passenger revenue sans cargo) PAL has, because of a monopoly on those routes although I have heard rumblings that could change.

For those members who were wishing for a CEB-SFO direct flight, your SOL (for now).

• Administrator
Dafey

LAX-CEB is all A343, which isn't so bad if the flight is not full and you get a couple of empty seats together to yourself so you can lay down and sleep.

For an additional $20 you can upgrade to the forward coach cabin which usually has plenty of open seats. Well worth the $20. I watched the FAs turn away multiple PAX that tried to slide into the forward cabin after we were loaded. You have to do it at the ticket counter.

Friend of mine did the CEB-LAX and back trip in July and had nothing good to say about the planes. My wife made a trip back about 3 weeks ago SFO-MNL and I think she was on a PAL 777. Said the flight and plane was good, but the food was crap

I've had much better experiences on this flight. The entertainment is not there because its an older plane but I bring my own and a Melatonin and usually sleep for at least half the flight. And...I never fly for cuisine.

Buko Beach

For an additional $20 you can upgrade to the forward coach cabin which usually has plenty of open seats. Well worth the $20. I watched the FAs turn away multiple PAX that tried to slide into the forward cabin after we were loaded. You have to do it at the ticket counter.

I also usually book a fiesta forward seat. The $20 is a small price to pay for a confirmed seat of my choice. This has worked to my advantage many times.

Several times my connecting flight CEB-MNL which is supposed to depart Mactan at 11am has been delayed by ground-stop weather or PAL syndrome (plane always late). My flight to YYZ departs at 3pm and the fact I have a confirmed seat assignment means I can show up late with no worries about being stuck in the back of the plane in a less desirable middle seat.

Paying the extra for a fiesta forward seat also has it's advantages when I fly in from my connecting code-share flight to YYZ. Since my code-share flight arrives at YYZ T3 and the PAL flight to MNL departs the same terminal all I have to do is get off the code-share flight and head towards the wide-body International gate area of T3 and find the PAL counter. There I exchange my code-share boarding pass for a PAL boarding pass with my confirmed fiesta forward seat choice. That means no need to check-in and go through security if I so choose.

On the YYZ-MNL flights the fiesta forward cabin is always full, and not with passengers who have paid the $20 fee. I have spoken to several of my seat mates (over a dozen flights) and only a few paid the extra fee, most bought the cheapest fare and were moved into that section for load balancing reasons.

On one occasion I witnessed a young foreign passenger who after takeoff from YYZ came from the rear of the aircraft and wanted to sit in the fiesta forward. At the time there were only a few passengers sitting in the forward cabin so he thought he would have all the room in the World to himself. He argued with the cabin crew about having to pay a fee to sit there. The fee after takeoff is $50USD. He paid the fee and proceeded to sit on the end of a middle 4 section of seats. He seemed happy about having 4 seats to himself where he laid down and slept for a couple of hours, until we landed in YVR. When we pushed back from the gate at YVR he wasn't so happy anymore. The fiesta forward cabin was full and he paid $50USD for little return.

• Like 1