National Smoking Ban

shadow

Add another set of dangerous drug users to the kill list, glad to see this one. Nothing worse than sitting down in a resto to eat a meal and have someone sit down next you and light up.

• Like 6
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oz Jon

• Enuff

• fred42

• HTM

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Add another set of dangerous drug users to the kill list, glad to see this one. Nothing worse than sitting down in a resto to eat a meal and have someone sit down next you and light up.

Presumably there is/will be a death penalty for smoking.   Shooting by 2 cops on a motorbike?  or hanging, drawing and quartering?   What is the bounty worth?   The Philippines is becoming an ex

Posted Images

hmmm my

a cigarette smoker or group of teens or worse yet a family with a rambunctious 2 yrs old child

I'll take the smoker

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3
rainymike

As a smoker living in Davao for a number of years now. It's no big deal. Nothing wrong with that law. I think most of the research indicates that second hand smoke is harmful to others. I do think smoking in public places is a big no-no. If I pollute, I only pollute myself. There is at least one public smoking spot at SM if you need it that bad. 

First time offense is 5K pesos fine and you attend a class on quitting. Second offense is 10K (I think) or 6 months in the pokey. And if you are a smoker in Davao, it IS enforced. Same law as in Honolulu if I recall correctly. LOL ...at leasts cigs are still cheap for those of us who want to commit suicide slowly.

• Like 2

Where we are there are quite a few little bars run by foreigners that sell on average 5 cases of SMB per day..

These will be forced to close in around 6 months or less in my estimation.

Same thing happened and continues to happen in the UK with pubs.

No idea whats wrong with a smoking bar and a non smoking bar and allow people to choose where they want to spend their hard earned cash.

I think the same result as the UK has experienced..People will buy booze at supermarkets and have private parties and social events at home where they can drink,eat and smoke in peace..

Edited by fred42
  • Like 1

I think the same result as the UK has experienced.

I'm not so sure that the smoking ban was solely responsible for pubs closing in the UK.

I think 'other things to do" may have contributed too.

Not to mention the breathalyzer squad.

UK mate of mine recently got caught driving home after 3 pints in his local.

First motoring offense ever in 50 years of driving but lost his license for 12 months.

KonC

• Like 2
I'm not so sure that the smoking ban was solely responsible for pubs closing in the UK. I think 'other things to do" may have contributed too. Not to mention the breathalyzer squad.

Yeah, there were other contributing factors which were derived from the smoking ban in regards pubs closing...

Costs of beer went up to silly money as consumption of beer in pubs went down..Tax increases by Gov. were lowered to help landlords but this was never enough to negate the huge loss of custom and profits..

Booze cruise trips to Calais increased for duty free smokes and alcohol and this was/is all consumed in the comfort of the ex Pub regular`s home`s..Private events etc.

If smoke free Pubs were as popular as they said they would be,breweries would have provided smoke free pubs long before the smoking ban was introduced..

Of course,they did not follow that path because they knew full well that they would be bankrupt inside 6 months..

The old British culture of having the worlds best and most famous pubs in the world was destroyed by the P.C brigade that socialize about once every 2/3 months..

Congrats to them!

Same thing will happen here..

Edited by fred42
  • Like 1
mikewright

I hope they do the same with alcohol!

You're a mean bugger, aren't you :).

thebob

As a smoker living in Davao for a number of years now. It's no big deal. Nothing wrong with that law. I think most of the research indicates that second hand smoke is harmful to others. I do think smoking in public places is a big no-no. If I pollute, I only pollute myself. There is at least one public smoking spot at SM if you need it that bad. 

In Davao I was searched just walking into the park. I was told that I couldn't even take cigarettes into the park and had to leave them at the gate, I wasn't returning to that gate so I had to take a detour that almost made me late for the wedding I was attending.

As if the powers that be didn't have enough to do, they decide to penalise one of the sections of society that are taxed directly. This is going to end up being selectively enforced just to pick on smokers who aren't given a place to stem their craving.

I'd Like to see a law about foul language from elected officials.

Skywalker

Smoking has been banned in bars and other public places in Thailand for years.

The Philippines is just catching up I suggest.

I enjoy a smoke when I'm drinking alcohol, but I can do without easily enough. We are all grown ups here, we know the dangers of smoking.

Now if they ban alcohol, I'd have to relocate! Lol

Edited by Skywalker

When I am walking around the Philippines, stepping over poor people on the sidewalks, black jeepney smoke in my face, I can only think this place would be perfect if it was not for these damn smokers.  :sarcasm:

I think the best would be to change the gun laws so us self-righteous foreigners can shot any one we don't like.  :sarcasm:   

• Like 2

I hope they do the same with alcohol!

Agreed! - ban cigarettes and alcohol

- ban sex too - it leads to unwanted children and immoral activities (according to the rumors I hear) -  :sarcasm:

And jokers too! - they are a bloody menace!

Edited by Oz Jon

Agreed! There should be smoke-free areas in restaurants and many other communal places.

But to deal with that particular problem, smoking is banned everywhere? - even in your own car?

colemanlee

Smoking has been banned in bars and other public places in Thailand for years.

Not in Pattaya, did not find a place I could not smoke.....it might go in Manila....doubt it makes much difference here....