• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oz Jon

• Enuff

• colemanlee

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Add another set of dangerous drug users to the kill list, glad to see this one. Nothing worse than sitting down in a resto to eat a meal and have someone sit down next you and light up.

Presumably there is/will be a death penalty for smoking.   Shooting by 2 cops on a motorbike?  or hanging, drawing and quartering?   What is the bounty worth?   The Philippines is becoming an ex

Posted Images

Mikala

An executive order (EO) that will impose a nationwide smoking ban is expected to be signed this month.

“The president will already sign that EO. Probably within October,” Health Secretary Pauline Jean Ubial disclosed, referring to EO they have drafted that will prohibit smoking across the country.

Ubial noted that the draft EO essentially replicates the existing ordinance in Davao City implemented since the time of Duterte as a mayor.

“What is being done in Davao is set to be done nationwide,” the DOH chief stressed.

Under this, all public places will be 100 percent smoke-free, she further noted.

“There will be nobody smoking in public places anymore, whether indoor or outdoor. Parks, bus stations, and even in vehicles. All these are considered public places,” the health secretary added.

Ubial also said they will make a strong push for Congress to amend the existing Tobacco Regulation Act of 2003 (Republic Act 9211) to be able to eliminate other contentious tobacco control policies.

“We are still trying to explore amending the law, RA 9211 because of the many contentious issues and gray areas,” she stated, saying that among the gray areas are the point-of-sale advertisements as well as in the designation of smoking areas.

http://www.mb.com.ph/eo-on-nationwide-smoking-ban-out-this-month/

Edited by Salty Dog
Fixed Quote
  • Like 4

Here is the Davao City Smoking Ordinance

The Davao City Anti-Smoking Task Force will begin issuing citation tickets to individuals who will be violating the New Comprehensive Anti-Smoking Ordinance starting May 31, the 11th year of the city’s original Comprehensive Anti-Smoking Ordinance which was enacted in 2002.

According to Anti-Smoking Task Force head Dr. Domilyn Villarreiz, the citation ticket will indicate the specific violation and the corresponding administrative penalty. The person issued with the ticket has the option to either contest the violation in court or voluntarily pay the penalty of P500 imposed upon him or her to avoid being criminally prosecuted within 3 days from apprehension.

It is clearly stated however that the no contest provision can only be availed once and that the violator must undergo smoking cessation counselling. Failure to undergo counselling still warrants the filing of a case in court.

Ordinance No. 0367-12, Series of 2012, known as The New Comprehensive Anti-Smoking Ordinance was passed by the City Council last year and approved by Mayor Sara Duterte early this year. The said ordinance repealed inconsistent provisions of original comprehensive anti-smoking ordinance.

Aside from the issuance of citation tickets, the new ordinance now prohibits smoking of any tobacco product including e-cigarettes, shishas and the like, in all accommodation and entertainment establishments, workplaces, enclosed public places, partially enclosed public places, public buildings, public outdoor spaces and all public conveyances, government-owned vehicles and other means of public transport within the territorial jurisdiction of Davao City.

Likewise, the designated smoking area of commercial and business establishments must now be located in an open outdoor space with no permanent or temporary roof or walls located 10 meters away from entrances or exits with an area not larger than 5 square meters. All establishments caught violating this provision will be fined a maximum of P5,000 or 4 months imprisonment.

The Anti-Smoking Task Force already started a series of orientations to concerned parties including officials of the barangay, school administrators, restaurants owners and managers, tourism establishments and other business establishments supervisors to inform them of the new anti-smoking ordinance.

5122014121646PM1.jpg

http://www.davaocity.gov.ph/davao/view.aspx?type=slideshow&id=1

Edited by Enuff

It used to be a Php 10,000 penalty in Davao.

at least it's affordable

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bernadette

Someone will be fecking upset if he happens to read this news today... poor old man(my father)who is a chain smoker since he was 12 years old tho he has a borgeous disease and was advice to stop smoking bt a very strong head continue to smoke a cigar until now.

It used to be a Php 10,000 penalty in Davao.

see Paul Duterte isn't all bad

• Like 1

I'm still behind Duterte maybe the U S should go home and not medeling in everyones business maybe it's not such a bad thing. and the smoking ban you gotta love that. It is another great thing for the country

• Like 2
contraman

Not an issue unless they start enforcing it.

The PI thinks it can fix everything by making a law.

However, no one knows the meaning of enforcement :idontknow:

• Like 2
State Trooper

I'm still behind Duterte maybe the U S should go home and not medeling in everyones business maybe it's not such a bad thing. and the smoking ban you gotta love that. It is another great thing for the country

Its sarcasm right? If not could you please stop by my house?

see Paul Duterte isn't all bad

Oh, I agree. By the time I want to go back for a visit, the Peso will be in the gutter. I will be a one-day millionaire there. :D

If not could you please stop by my house?

Please do not have a nicotine fit. Chewing gum?

Someone will be fecking upset if he happens to read this news today... poor old man(my father)who is a chain smoker since he was 12 years old tho he has a borgeous disease and was advice to stop smoking bt a very strong head continue to smoke a cigar until now.

Cigars aren't as bad for you as cigarettes - unless you inhale them, I imagine. Still, they don't have all the chemicals that are added to cigarettes.

Presumably there is/will be a death penalty for smoking.

Shooting by 2 cops on a motorbike?  or hanging, drawing and quartering?

What is the bounty worth?

The Philippines is becoming an extremely attractive country to stay well away from!

Presumably, that's the intention.

The Chinese will change all that though when they claim their rights to the bigger islands in the East China Sea.

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 3

The Philippines is becoming an extremely attractive country to stay well away from!

But aren't the laws in Oz re smoking in public more or less the same.

And they cost something like 700 pesos for a pack of 20 so who smokes anyway.

KonC

• Like 1

But aren't the laws in Oz re smoking in public more or less the same.

And they cost something like 700 pesos for a pack of 20 so who smokes anyway.

KonC

No they are not - eg.  you can smoke in your own car if you wish.

(that Phil ban is not a public health issue, it's someone imposing their will on others)

But you are right in that smoking in public places in Oz is limited and enforced and smoking is punitively expensive.

There are still plenty of paces where you can smoke.

That high cost is already leading to a profitable black market, controlled by criminals - the higher the tax, the higher the black market profit . Almost a prohibition scenario, the same precursor which created the drug problem.

Demand generates profitable supply - Governments are slow learners.

It's also leading to some pensioners cutting back on essentials to find the money to buy tobacco.

• Like 2