House Bill 5098/Senate Bill 1165 'no garage, no car' policy

So those who are rich enough to have a garage get to keep thier cars but the average Bong now gets to walk to work

Yes.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HTM

• SkyMan

• rep1

• bonalaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do not agree.

A very good idea... also, it should include the provisions to confiscate and destroy any cars whose owners do not submit the proof of parking space within 3 months, any cars older than 10 years and th

Add this to the loooooooong list of laws enacted but never enforced.  Did you know it's a P2,000 fine if you drive on the wrong side of the road?

Posted Images

SkyMan
There's already a local ordinance that limits or prohibits overnight street parking.

So if this isn't being enforced, how will another law get enforced?  Forcing everyone to prove they have a parking space does nothing but add fees and hassle to registration even if it were enforced.  Everyone has an uncle/cousin, whatever, in the province that can provide proof of parking spaces for the whole family.

I think the soln lies in the cost of rego.  Apparently more and more people are gaining the wealth to own a car so car ownership needs to become more expensive and therefore less attractive.  I think someone mentioned Singapore where ownership requires a permit more expensive than the car itself.  This is a necessity there as it's just too small a country for too many vehicles.  In the RP I would simply raise the cost of registration, perhaps double.  I would also add a large fee for regos on vehicles older than maybe 20 years based on the age of the vehicle, perhaps p1K/year of age of the vehicle.  So at 19 the cost is normal but at 20 you add                              p20K.  That will get the older wrecks off the road.  I would also add a fee (p5K/yr) for a permit to drive the vehicle in the more congested areas, NCR and CC to start.  Make the fine for getting caught with a vehicle in these areas without a permit the same as the fee or double.  All these additional registration/permit fees would go a long way towards improving public transportation and existing infrastructure.  Make owning your own vehicle less attractive and the problem will fix itself.

Edited by SkyMan

A very good idea... also, it should include the provisions to confiscate and destroy any cars whose owners do not submit the proof of parking space within 3 months, any cars older than 10 years and those smoke belching cars of any age... :D[/size]

How many Filipinos can afford cars less than 10 years old? Also do any cars even new cars in the Philippines have catalytic converters one them to prevent smog?
Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Car buyers will have to show proof that they have an available parking space before they can own a vehicle should lawmakers pass the “no garage, no car" policy into law.
The House Committee on Transportation on Wednesday (September 23) tackled House Bill 5098, also known as the Proof of Parking Space Act, or the "no garage, no car policy" measure.
The bill would require buyers of new vehicles to provide the Land Transportation Office (LTO) with proof that they have parking space.
Valenzuela Rep. Sherwin Gatchalian said the measure, which is already being practiced in Japan and India, will prevent Metro Manila from turning into a big parking space.
But as early as now, Albay Rep. Fernando Gonzalez, committee vice chairman,is already questioning the measure, saying buyers should not be restricted from owning a car.
Meanwhile, Chief Supt. Arnold Gunnacao, head of the Highway Patrol Group (HPG), said car dealers or manufacturers should also be responsible and should request buyers for proof of parking space before selling cars to them.
Gunnacao also suggested that car owners should be given three months to look for a parking space if the bill becomes a law.

How realistic is this? Aren't there a lot of low income multiple apartment buildings with no assigned parking available? Also I wonder why they say "garage". The whole time I was in the Philippines I didn't see any houses with garages anywhere.

Edited by Salty Dog
Fixed Quote
SkyMan

How many Filipinos can afford cars less than 10 years old?
That's kind of the point really.  Less can afford newer cars therefore less cars, less traffic, less pollution, etc.  Ten years would never fly, of course.  I would start with 25, maybe 20 years, then reduce as needed.  And rather than just junking anything over that age I would make it more expensive and people would junk them themselves.  But they could pay big money to keep it on the road if they really wanted to.
  • Administrator
Dafey

I like older cars. Just because its old doesn't mean its a piece of sh*t. Ours are very well maintained. In fact, I see more older, well maintained cars here than in the US.

It's nice that they are thinking out of the box but the issue is "illegal parking". If they would allow independant private corporations to tow illegally parked cars and charge the owners to get them back, these towing companies would be self sufficiant and the burden of finding a legal parking spot would fall to the car owner not everyone else, i.e. LTO, Car sales, Police department, etc.

Another easy step from that would be to start the Philippine Auto Association using these corporations like AAA in the States...Hey, if we're gonna dream lets dream big!

RogerDat

buy bars without any parking space

Are U in your bar now? :sarcasm:

Yes.

Working people who can't afford should use the mass transport. Using the mass transport would also minimize cars on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk