House Bill 5098/Senate Bill 1165 'no garage, no car' policy

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines) — Car buyers will have to show proof that they have an available parking space before they can own a vehicle should lawmakers pass the “no garage, no car" policy into law.

The House Committee on Transportation on Wednesday (September 23) tackled House Bill 5098, also known as the Proof of Parking Space Act, or the "no garage, no car policy" measure.

The bill would require buyers of new vehicles to provide the Land Transportation Office (LTO) with proof that they have parking space.

Valenzuela Rep. Sherwin Gatchalian said the measure, which is already being practiced in Japan and India, will prevent Metro Manila from turning into a big parking space.

But as early as now, Albay Rep. Fernando Gonzalez, committee vice chairman,is already questioning the measure, saying buyers should not be restricted from owning a car.

Meanwhile, Chief Supt. Arnold Gunnacao, head of the Highway Patrol Group (HPG), said car dealers or manufacturers should also be responsible and should request buyers for proof of parking space before selling cars to them.

Gunnacao also suggested that car owners should be given three months to look for a parking space if the bill becomes a law.

• Like 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HTM

• SkyMan

• rep1

• bonalaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do not agree.

A very good idea... also, it should include the provisions to confiscate and destroy any cars whose owners do not submit the proof of parking space within 3 months, any cars older than 10 years and th

Add this to the loooooooong list of laws enacted but never enforced.  Did you know it's a P2,000 fine if you drive on the wrong side of the road?

Posted Images

Senate Bill No. 1165
NO GARAGE, NO CAR ACT OF 2016

Long title
AN ACT REQUIRING PARKING SPACE FROM MOTOR VEHICLE BUYERS IN METROPOLITAN AREAS AS A PRE-REQUISITE FOR THE PURCHASE OF A MOTOR VEHICLE AND REGISTRATION WITH THE LAND TRANSPORTATION OFFICE (LTO)

NO GARAGE, NO CAR ACT OF 2016.pdf

miles-high

A very good idea... also, it should include the provisions to confiscate and destroy any cars whose owners do not submit the proof of parking space within 3 months, any cars older than 10 years and those smoke belching cars of any age... :D

• Like 3
to_dave007

it should include the provisions to confiscate and destroy any cars  ......older than 10 years ....

I do not agree.

• Like 4

And when they are at it... "No Lot, No House"

• Like 2
SkyMan

The bill would require buyers of new vehicles to provide the Land Transportation Office (LTO) with proof that they have parking space.
How do you do that?  Bring a picture of a parking space?  Like, the same picture everyone else has?

Meanwhile, Chief Supt. Arnold Gunnacao, head of the Highway Patrol Group (HPG), said car dealers or manufacturers should also be responsible and should request buyers for proof of parking space before selling cars to them.
Yeah, I see them turning down a car sale because the customer couldn't prove they had a parking space.

How do you do that? Bring a picture of a parking space? Like, the same picture everyone else has?

Read the PDF

Soarking

A very good idea... also, it should include the provisions to confiscate and destroy any cars whose owners do not submit the proof of parking space within 3 months, any cars older than 10 years and those smoke belching cars of any age...

That would eleminate 90% of the jeepnees. Most of them are parked on the street when not in use, they are older than 10 years old and belch black smoke.

How do you do that?  Bring a picture of a parking space?  Like, the same picture everyone else has?

I'm sure the LTO Officer would be willing to sell you a picture of a parking space for only P 1,500.oo

I like the idea, but the devil is in the details. The applicant for registration presents an affidavit that a parting space is available. The risk is that maybe the applicant is lying. No, that won't happen. However, what if the parking space becomes unavailable? Does this mean the applicant needs to surrender the registration? Whoops. What about those living in gated communities which (sometimes) allow on street parking. The "space" is not really owned by the applicant, but is available. Hmmm. Will that be allowed?

I think this is a well intended law, but not very comprehensive.

Of course, I live in the province where one reason there is a parking problem in small cities is because merchants create their own homemade signs NO PARKING, CUSTOMERS ONLY and use the sign to block access. Or, better than that, place their merchandise outside the store or set up a work area where cars will likely park. Here we have ordnances for this, bit just no enforcement.

I'm sure the LTO Officer would be willing to sell you a picture of a parking space for only P 1,500.oo

1.500?

150,000 maybe

post-2957-0-27299800-1475838227.jpg

Enuff

Now available, I have pictures of parking spaces.

I can email to you for p250 or lbc you the picture for p699

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2
Soarking

Now available, I have pictures of parking spaces.

I can email to you for p250 or lbc you the picture for p699

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't think pictures of parking spaces in West Virginia will work.

This,,,,, coming from a tourist......

• Like 2
NOSOCALPINOY

Senate Bill No. 1165

NO GARAGE, NO CAR ACT OF 2016

Long title

AN ACT REQUIRING PARKING SPACE FROM MOTOR VEHICLE BUYERS IN METROPOLITAN AREAS AS A PRE-REQUISITE FOR THE PURCHASE OF A MOTOR VEHICLE AND REGISTRATION WITH THE LAND TRANSPORTATION OFFICE (LTO)

attachicon.gifNO GARAGE, NO CAR ACT OF 2016.pdf

I would like to see this Senate Bill 1165 pass and implemented immediately during my lifetime. There are many in our subdivision that have garages, but they do not utilize them and park their vehicles out by the curbside even though we have HOA rules that vehicles can not be parked by the curbside more than 24 hrs. 
We have a small garage, but able to squeeze in our 2006 Toyota Innova and 1979 Corolla in it. 

At least they are thinking out of the box about their traffic and parking situations. They need to focus on some "carrots" (mass transit) as well as "sticks" such as this proposal.