Sign in to follow this  
Raven

The hidden Gems of PH

Raven

Not really "my area",  but a few places I really like.

Cuyo Islands

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trota/albums/72157594581851229

Linapacan Island

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trota/albums/72157629067207481

Port Barton, Palawan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trota/albums/72157664453639422

And one of the best,

Dinamayan Island

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trota/albums/72157629177669961

That leaves over 7,000 islands to find a place you like :).

A nice collection of pictures...maybe I should have spent more time and money on ferry-tickets than cement and rebars :)

Raven

Found this photo of Kalanggaman Island, Palompon, Leyte. Definately a worthwhile visit...

Spend the day, swim, dive, fish, picnic or spend the night and stargaze.

Found a description on How to Get there... Looks very nice

This isle is in Palompon, Leyte, Philippines. It looks like a smaller version of Boracay Island. What is unique about it is its magnificent sandbars, both stretching at the end of the island. Unlike other beach resorts, this island is not always crowded. When you get here, you’ll feel like you’re a castaway in a beautiful way because the island will be your home for the day and you can do everything you want including swimming in its crystal blue beach, snorkeling to see its majestic underwater gems, kayaking and many more.

• How to get to Kalanggaman from Cebu Airport, ride a taxi to go to Pier 3. In pier 3, you can either ride a SuperCat (fast boat) going to Ormoc or a ship en route to Palompon. Supercat fare usually costs around P600 while ship ticket costs around P495. If you chose SuperCat, it takes about 2 hours to reach Ormoc, then you need to ride a van going to Palompon which can cost you another P150. Ship from Cebu will take 4 hours to reach Palompon.

Once you’re in Palompon, go to Palompon Liberty Park and pay the necessary fees for the Kalanggaman EcoTour. You can ride a bike called Potpot to go to Liberty Park. It only costs P3 per person. Boat ride from this point to Kalanggaman Island takes about an hour for regular boats and 35 minutes for speed boats. SOURCE

DSC_1411.jpg

Raven

The places, mentioned so far, in this Topic...

linc1.jpg

GwapoGuy

post-6854-0-85442700-1476836404_thumb.jpg

Tuawasan Falls, Camiguin

Dafey

Hey Raven, The info on Kalanggaman may be a little dated.

Poot poots are 5 pesos per person. The city of Palompon controls the tourism on Kalanggaman island and the fees depend on whether you are a local, a Filipino tourist or an international tourist. The banca boats can rent as high as 3500P but should carry 15 peeps at that price. The local fishermen will also cook catch of the day for you for lunch.

Cocoliong takes a big ferry to Palompon 3 times a week from Cebu city...Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday evening. Arrives about 1 AM in Palompon. Fare is around 300-400P one way. For an additional 150P you can upgrade to tourist which is air conditioned, (worth the price). The return trips are on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 8 AM. If you bring your car, (3000P), they can not always accommodate as the tide will not allow them to load it. If you are bringing a car I would suggest Lite Shipping out of Cebu City to Ormoc and drive the one hour to Palompon. Motorcycle no problem, (700P).

I'll hunt for a more up to date info sheet, but well worth the visit !!!

• Like 1

Raven

post-6854-0-85442700-1476836404_thumb.jp

Tuawasan Falls, Camiguin

Tuwasan or Tuasan Falls, looks nice on this picture, but the access road is another story...

This picture is from September 2016

Tuasan-09-01.jpg

Tuasan-08-2016-01.jpg

Some more picture and info to be found on Silent Gardens

• Like 1

Raven

Not much natural forest left anywhere, except from dense jungle on the mountain slopes. But we have a small forest here in MisOr with some wildlife and silence!!..if you are into that.

A 57-hectare natural forest with diverse flora and fauna, accessible via the National Highway ( Cagayan de Oro to Iligan)

The park preserves the last remaining stand of old-growth forests in the province of Misamis Oriental. It is home to century-old trees consisting of talisay gubat (Elacocarpus monecera combretaccae) as well as molave, narra and teak, which serve as a habitat of some rare bird species such as the green imperial pigeon, native dove, emerald dove, serpent-eagle, Philippine megapode, Philippine sparrowhawk, Steere's pitta, Philippine hanging parrot and Little slaty flycatcher. Other species documented in the park include flying lemur, king spider, splitnose bat, monitor lizard, and rare priority species like the Philippine python, Philippine long-tailed macaque and the Philippine tarsier.

Finfish identified in the marine park include the Blacktipped sardine, striped sea catfish, flying fish, red squirrelfish, Australasian snapper, soldierfish,Papuan trevally, lapu-lapu, butterflyfish, wrasse, parrotfish, surgeonfish, Indian mackerel, triggerfish, tree-bar porcupinefish and flounder.(Source)

DSC_4357.JPG

6747792.jpg?w=505

7.jpg?w=339&h=254

112.jpg?w=294&h=392

10.jpg?w=436&h=327

CNN4rQAU8AAx4aQ.jpg

315e86e08e5d1afb71ca7656aa17ee76.jpg

• Like 1

Raven

I have never, been doing much Caving (spelunking), but maybe it's time to check some of them out. Besides from the smaller caves to be found in the above mentioned Initao-Libertad Protected Forest, there are several interesting caves in Misamis Oriental.

1901915_711659262188529_1838815180_n.jpg

Mahayahay Cave, Manticao

13407068_1180315205343773_84186182985970

Monigue Cave, Mambuaya

535134_562198530624873_84714028501497956

Kweba de Oro, Lumbia

cod3.jpg

Macahambus Cave, Bayanga

12122401_10203654744729384_1277334676468

Macahambus Gorge, Bayanga

10409779_623966954359891_194192523156554
Cueva Con Agua, Laguindinan

• Like 1

Dafey

If you are in/near Cebu City take a day trip to Beverly Hills and you can visit the Taoist Temple. Very pretty and makes for some good site seeing.

Free admition too !!!

post-17051-0-33094100-1477213993_thumb.jpg

post-17051-0-08543600-1477214022_thumb.jpg

post-17051-0-41849500-1477214075_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Salty Dog

• Like 2

Raven

If you are in/near Cebu City take a day trip to Beverly Hills and you can visit the Taoist Temple. Very pretty and makes for some good site seeing. Free admition too !!!

Even though Cebu is probably the island with most LinC members, this is the first post, in this Topic with a Cebu location mentioned. Maybe they just don't like to share or they are affraid of the millions of chinese tourist, coming next year, will invade their secrets spots. :)

Taoist Temple...been there several times. First time back in 1987, when I walked up there from downtown. It's a nice place to include in a City-Tour.

• Like 2

Raven

siquijor-map-limited-names.gif

A couple of videos showing a bit more about Siquijor.

• Like 1

Dafey

Taoist Temple...been there several times. First time back in 1987, when I walked up there from downtown. It's a nice place to include in a City-Tour.

That's a long walk !!! Can you still do that today?

more about Siquijor

My wife says we can't go there...too many witches!!! But If I get real sick we can go and pay a witch to heal me. Hmmm!!!

• Like 2

Raven

That's a long walk !!! Can you still do that today?

I'm not sure I like the traffic there today, but the walk is no problem.

We have always been walking a lot. I think the longest, after we moved to CdO is this one...

migtugsok.jpg

..and except from about 3 km in each end of the trail, we walked total 18 km, visiting Migtugsok Falls (red arrow), just outside Cagayan de Oro.

As you can see it brought us up to an elevation of 256m, 3 river crossings and 2 very steep slopes.