Sign in to follow this  
Raven

The hidden Gems of PH

Raven

Yes I almost skipped this thread because the title was so vague and I don't have the time to sift through all the threads but I'm glad I clicked on it! Always interested in out of the way spots on the road less traveled.

So you have to join Pinterest to view 'The Golden Route' ?

FYI, the ferry between Jagna, Bohol and Benoni, Camiguin has been curtailed since December 2015.

The most updated place, I have found, regarding the ferry Jagna-Balbagon (Mambajao) is this site - Silent Gardens

nathan derilon

I just want to know if there is still ferry sailing from camiguin to bohol, how much is the fare of person and the hiace toyota van

waebi

Still Mon, Wed, And Fri.

Fares around 4,000 for the car and driver. About 480 per pax.

Haven’t taken the ferry for a while now. Next week maybe.

Cheers, waebi

Some pictures from the different locations, I made available on Pinterest. But it's only meant as a teaser, to awaken you interest to go out there and explore.

I have a website explaining some more details, but I think I have to ask Paul's permission first, before posting a link.

You can always search [TGR] "The Golden Route to Cagayan de Oro" and I guess it shows up.

The Title... I talk to Paul if he can change it or add some Tags maybe...

• Like 1

Raven

If you changed the Title of the thread to something like, Who's Interested in Nature or Where's Your Favorite Spot, you might get a better response... :unknw:

Thanks to Paul, (always quick in response to requests :good: ), the Title is changed to a more appropriate one and added some Tags. So, now you all know what the topic is about, lets hear (and see.. pictures please) about the many nice places you visited.

• Like 1

Raven

"Holcim Philippines’ Lugait plant in Misamis Oriental established a butterfly garden in September 2007. The garden is not only an ecological asset, it provides livelihood opportunities for the local community."

I have not visited this place yet. We passed by, but 'cos of a dress code visiting Holcim Plant, we were not able to.

The dress code is something about shoes and long pants...

But next time we are going to Iligan, we will check it out...

1936577_159448883452_5200681_n.jpg

1936577_159434733452_7298436_n.jpg

Bird Condominium at Holcim

Condominium building for the different species of birds.

311516_477106105652840_391539916_n.jpg

Orchidarium at Holcim

550963_477106545652796_2062712157_n.jpg

Herbal plant nursery at Holcim

582203_477107158986068_56632821_n.jpg

• Like 1

Sonny

Don't go to Mindanao! You will be raped, robbed, beheaded, knifed, shot, murdered, and maybe held for ransom. It's far too dangerous of a place to visit. So, take my advice, don't go there. This includes all North, South, East, and West areas of the island, and all islands immediately around Mindanao.

Anywhere around the Metro Manila Area. I think everyone who visits the Philippines should go there - and stay there. No need to venture to other areas of the country. It's all downhill once you have been to Manila. Really. I'm being honest here. Truly, I am. I swear. 

Tondo is especially nice during the rainy season.    :rofl:

• Like 2

Raven

Every year, in August, it's fiesta time in Cagayan de Oro City

Here is a bird's-eye view experience of Higalaay Street Parade and Float Competition from Velez Street to Limketkai Center, Cagayan de Oro City.

• Like 1

GwapoGuy

Old church ruin, Bonbon, Catarman, Camiguinpost-6854-0-07482200-1476405469_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Dafey

If you are near Ormoc in Leyte, Lake Danao is a nice day trip. You can bring picnic foods or even grill foods on the floating huts. While on the huts you can swim, fish, drink, BBQ and socialize...or just take a nap. Very pretty, very peaceful and 5 degrees cooler in the mountains.

post-17051-0-31428600-1476413256_thumb.jpg

post-17051-0-19272900-1476413281_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Raven

If you are near Ormoc in Leyte, Lake Danao is a nice day trip. You can bring picnic foods or even grill foods on the floating huts. While on the huts you can swim, fish, drink, BBQ and socialize...or just take a nap. Very pretty, very peaceful and 5 degrees cooler in the mountains.

To me, it was natural to start "The Golden Route" in Cebu 'cos of the Int. Airport and Cebu's central location in Visayas and then ending in my place, Cagayan de Oro.

And involving 7000 islands will make it a quite big project.

But going North to Ormoc (Leyte) or South to Dumaguete (Negros) and including the "Golden Spots" on the way would be great. After all, the plan is that, the one following the route, can adjust it in direction and length and don't have to go back the same road.

I'm not familiar with Leyte and what to see there, so where would be a natural connection to Cebu? In Cebu City or up North, Bogo maybe?

And what see if it follows the road South, to the Surigao ferry? And is this ferry from Liloan or in the Southern tip of Leyte. It's not much use if the ferry is only once a week...there should be some alternatives.

I guess there are several members here from Leyte... any suggestions?

lolhahaha

My first trip to the Philippines we took a ferry from Danao to Camotes and ended up spending most of the month there. Nice beaches, rented a motorcycle for 10 bucks a day from some guy who didn't want the money until we left, and there are some hidden caves that you can ask about, and lots of countryside to explore there.

There are a few abandoned resorts there to check out too. One was way up at the north end of the west island and when we got there it was just some guy caretaking a mostly empty lot and we offroaded to get there so I wondered who was ever going to find the place.

Also, I'm sure there is a ferry to Leyte from the same port in Poro Camotes.

• Like 1

Dafey

I'm not familiar with Leyte and what to see there, so where would be a natural connection to Cebu?

Ferries sail from Cebu City to Ormoc throughout the day. You have your choice of fast craft or slow boat. Slow boat can take your scooter/motorcycle for about 700P. A car for 3000P. You can also sail from Danao, Cebu to Leyte but I'm not familiar with craft and arrival city.

You can also take a ferry to Palompon from Cebu City. Palompon is a really cute, easy life kind of town in west Leyte. One of the attractions there is Kalanggaman island. (not sure if I spelled that correctly). The island is pristine and beautiful barely above sea level. You can picnic and even overnight there. I haven't been yet but it is on my list to do soon.

A good place to stay is Whispering Beach Resort. Not really a resort but a comfy motel on the water just inside town. Put-puts or motors will know exactly where it is.

• Like 1

Raven

Old church ruin, Bonbon, Catarman, Camiguin

post-6854-0-07482200-1476405469_thumb.jp

"On February 16, 1871, earthquakes began to be felt on the island, which increase in severity until April 30 when a volcanic fissure opened up 400 yards southwest of the village of Catarman, northwest of Hibok-Hibok Volcano. Mt. Vulcan was born and continued erupting pouring lava into the sea at the same time gaining in height and width. In 1875, the Challenger expedition visited the area and described the mountain as a dome, 1,950 ft (590 m) in height, without any crater, but still smoking and incandescent at the top.

The town of Catarman was destroyed and portion of the town sank beneath the sea. The settlement moved to where the town center is presently located and today, all that remains of old Catarman are the ruins of the ancient Spanish church, a convent and a bell tower."

(Wikipedia)

There are several places to see in that area, which is connected to the 1871 eruption. The church ruins, Sunken Cemetery, Station of the Cross and Mt. Vulcan. Ardent Hot Spring has it's source at Mt. Hibok-Hibok. There are trails to the top of Mt. Hibok-Hibok and the Mt. Vulcan. Station of the Cross trail is only about 1.5km to the last Station, but the Hibok-Hibok trail is a day-tour.

old-vulcan.jpg

The site of the sunken cemetery with Mt Hibok hibok at the backdrop.

P5270149-L.jpg

• Like 1

Jimone

My favourite place in the Philippines, not a hidden gem , but still at the top of my must go list ... lol 

post-3349-0-27193100-1476433574.png 

• Like 1

Raven

My first trip to the Philippines we took a ferry from Danao to Camotes and ended up spending most of the month there. Nice beaches, rented a motorcycle for 10 bucks a day from some guy who didn't want the money until we left, and there are some hidden caves that you can ask about, and lots of countryside to explore there.

There are a few abandoned resorts there to check out too. One was way up at the north end of the west island and when we got there it was just some guy caretaking a mostly empty lot and we offroaded to get there so I wondered who was ever going to find the place.

Also, I'm sure there is a ferry to Leyte from the same port in Poro Camotes.

So the first expansion of The Golden Route could be like this...

tgr-1-exp.jpg

I'm working on a KML file, which can be download to an app like f.e. "Locus Map" with the complete routes and links to more info on each location.

Dafey

Found this photo of Kalanggaman Island, Palompon, Leyte. Definately a worthwhile visit...

Spend the day, swim, dive, fish, picnic or spend the night and stargaze.

post-17051-0-97670300-1476613198_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

mikewright
Someone else here, having interest in nature and like to share the "secret spots" in your area?

Not really "my area",  but a few places I really like.

Cuyo Islands

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trota/albums/72157594581851229

Linapacan Island

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trota/albums/72157629067207481

Port Barton, Palawan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trota/albums/72157664453639422

And one of the best,

Dinamayan Island

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trota/albums/72157629177669961

That leaves over 7,000 islands to find a place you like :).

Edited by mikewright
  • Like 1