Sign in to follow this  
Raven

The hidden Gems of PH

MikeV

It's a great idea.  I'd encourage you to make the info freely available in a travel guide format, copy tourism offices whenever ever there are updates, in time it might gain some official status.

Norway's Kystriksveien (The Coastal Highway) comes to mind -- this could be a similar journey.

Prior to trips I always look for maps & guidebooks in Amazon.  I would certainly grab a free Kindle on something like this if it showed up in the search.

Keep developing & pushing the idea and eventually it could well succeed.

• Like 1

Monsoon

Anyone who makes their own business hard to find or little known is an idiot.

tomaw

Sorry, double post.

Edited by tomaw

tomaw

...every day listening to stuff about de Lima, Duterte, Obama, Abu Sayaf, Shabu etc.

For me, the number 1 reason for being here in The Philippines is; no not my wife or 'cos it's "cheap" to live here (it's not really cheap!), but the country.. the tropical country. I just love the climate and the nature here and then ironically enough, I end up building a house in the heart of a city. The reason for that is simple...we have to survive and we don't have a pension from back home. Not old enough for that and maybe never will be. It have been a long-term plan to make us independent of pensions and make our own way, so we are

not sitting here waiting for it. If we one day can get it..okay and if we don't..okay.

While building (for 7 years now and on going) I do some research on WWW for new places to visit and when time allows, we make field-trips to the locations found, to check out if it is something of interest.

I'm not the one "building", but planning only and I have to be "on site". So that leaves me a lot of time for my interest...searching for new places to visit. I'm trying to collect the places...some visited others not, on a website, so hopefully other nature-lovers can easier can find some nice spots.

Found out that WWW is really a mess, when you start searching for a location... wrong spellings, wrong location or no location and no picture. Many places is only known to the locals and that's sad...so many nice places out there.

Someone else here, having interest in nature and like to share the "secret spots" in your area?

Thanks for the most down to Earth post I've read from you.

When I was there we went to Bohol. We saw the Chocolate Hills and had lunch on a river boat through the jungle. Fantastic scenery in both places! Although it's much further away try Palawan. It was like a scene out of Jurassic Park when our pump boat pulled up on the beach. Lots of monitor lizards and monkeys in the picnic area! We went on a canoe ride through an underground river. Lots of bats and birds in the cave. We also went to the crocodile farm. That was interesting seeing all the crocodiles. In Subic we went to Ocean Adventure Park. It was very similar to Sea World in Californa. There I got on my swim trunks, put on a required life vest and went into this lagoon with two pilot whales and a dolphin. One of the whales dragged me out to a small raft in the middle of the lagoon where I had it do tricks using hand signals and rewarded it with fish.

Edited by tomaw
  • Like 3

MikeV

Yeah, the tourism board has to do something to address the lack of information, signs or GPS locations of all these touristy places.

Well, they'll steal the signs for scrap but digital web info and GPS locations would be nice... 

One way to deal with the signage problem would be to secure a trademark on a logo & the concept and allow businesses/attractions on the route to post their own signs with the trademark, could even design the trademark to include attraction numbers cross referencing your guide.

GPS locations are great.  I've found a couple civil war locations from GPS locations where the written directions didn't work out.  Of course, it's always possible that those GPS locations were wrong, too.  :D  If you vet them carefully they would be a very useful addition.

Raven

It's a great idea.  I'd encourage you to make the info freely available in a travel guide format, copy tourism offices whenever ever there are updates, in time it might gain some official status.

Norway's Kystriksveien (The Coastal Highway) comes to mind -- this could be a similar journey.

Prior to trips I always look for maps & guidebooks in Amazon.  I would certainly grab a free Kindle on something like this if it showed up in the search.

Keep developing & pushing the idea and eventually it could well succeed.

Did not know about "Norway's Kystriksveien", but there are some great ideas on that site which could be useful.

rv17big.jpg

Norway's Kystriksveien (Coastal road)

rh2015_a5da21e6-e1ef-4527-ba98-21bc6f8fb

Skywalker

Dammit, now you've got me pining for the fjords.

• Like 3

Raven

Sorry about that...I'll try to make it good again..Do you remember the difference between - and +30?

Oz Jon

Are you some kind of (Monty Python) Norwegian Blue parrot lover? - Lol!

(John Cleese, brilliant parrot comedy classic, circa UK 1970 -  Wow! that shows my age !)  yours too!

<

Enjoy!

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 2

MikeV

Go for it, saw a lot of bikes on the highways during that trip (2002).  For cheap places to stay look for signs like "hytte" (huts) or "rom ut leie" (room for rent).

The hook to the left on the map Raven posted is the ferry from Bodø out to the Lofoten Islands.  Though not part of the Kystriksveien, we continued the journey for several days by highway & ferry up through the Lofoten and Vesterålen, finally taking a ferry back to the mainland south of Tromsø.

There's also a great aviation museum at the airport in Bodø, one of the first to display a U2 (Bodø was Gary Powers destination in 1960).

• Like 1

Raven

Years ago, I was very active in posting various getaway places that we found that were very nice. Now, they are all overrun by tourists, and not nice any more. When we find a really neat place now, we keep it to ourselves.

"Overrun by tourist" is maybe a bit overstatement unless you are the one discovering Boracay, Bagio or El Nido. In Philippines, tourist are more rare than Tarsiers..well, that might be an overstatement too, but it's not that many if you don't include Manila, Cebu, the mentioned tourist-spots and a few other places.

As mentioned before, a place like Alubijid's Salt Fields is a nice spot. But of cause it depends on the eyes that sees.

If you are interested in the locals daily life in the fields, you can have a chat with the Salt-farmers how they produce sea-salt.

Salt.jpg

2014_Mar20_people2.jpg

If you are a photographer, you can get some excellent shots (the pictures here is not mine, my camera (or me) is not that good).

640_2014_03_18_11_19_08.jpg

Are you into birds, except from fried chicken, there is a variety in these fields.

5441556280_bfbe06bf9c_b.jpg

Alubijid's Salt Fields is just an example and I doubt that it will be "overrun by tourist"

And a warning before going there.. no it's not about Mindanao, but the heat... it's HOT there, bring a :hi: hat.

• Like 3

Skywalker

Are you some kind of (Monty Python) Norwegian Blue parrot lover? - Lol!   (John Cleese, brilliant parrot comedy classic, circa UK 1970 -  Wow! that shows my age !)  yours too!

Absolutely.  Though my reference probably went over the heads of our younger members, and those who were never exposed to the Monty Python experience.  It's my birthday this month, I was born in 1958 which makers me 58 this time.  2 more years to wait for my military pension.

Do you remember the difference between - and +30?

Certainly, the coldest I've ever been was in the Falkland Islands.  And after living in SE Asia for more than a decade, hot is in my blood.  Trust me, hot is better.

• Like 1

Oz Jon

..... Though my reference probably went over the heads of our younger members, and those who were never exposed to the Monty Python experience.

It's my birthday this month, I was born in 1958 which makes me 58  ...................

Well Son! - You're about the same age as my eldest son.

Happens to me a lot these days - my best wit and good jokes going over the heads of the younger generation!

It's a bugger, getting old - but the alternative is not attractive! -Lol!

I ordered a "seniors coffee" in MacD's the other day.( free with your order to seniors in Aus)

The lad asked if I wanted sugar .....

"Yes Please, 1 spoonful"........ "stirred not shaken"  ... amazed look on his face! ... "I'm James Bond!" .... Even more amazed look ....

So I gave him the exact amount to pay for my order and told him .... "keep the change!" ... that got a smile!

(we don't normally tip in Aus,  - certainly not in MacD's!

Life is just a game to be enjoyed while you can!

Edited by Oz Jon

Raven

GPS locations are great. I've found a couple civil war locations from GPS locations where the written directions didn't work out. Of course, it's always possible that those GPS locations were wrong, too. :D If you vet them carefully they would be a very useful addition.

Google Earth and a handheld GPS are great tools for finding some interesting sites.

After searching, for awhile, the map in GE, I found what looks to be a hanging bridge in Mambuaya. Searching WWW gave no result. The only thing I could find was, something about Kulas trying to push some buttons, to have a hanging bridge for the school-children in the neighboring Barangay Bayanga.

We went to Mambuaya to see if it was actual a hanging bridge... even that it's only about 1 km walk from the Hiway, non of the Habal-Habal drives knew about it. Maybe we just ask the wrong persons. Anyway I got my GPS...

And there it was, crossing a slow running part of the Cagayan River and connecting Cagayan de Oro with Bukidnon.

Maybe some of you have already seen it, if you have tried White Water Rafting in CdO...you will pass under this...

DSC00206.jpg

To me, the hanging bridge in Mambuaya is a lot more interesting, in it's peaceful surroundings and having a purpose for the locals, than what f.e. the picture below shows, a hanging bridge made in Dahilayan Adventure Park (Bukidnon).  

The tourist go there..fine, I go to Mambuaya :)  Not a chance that Mambuaya will get "overrun by tourists"

dahilayan-forest-park.jpg

GwapoGuy

If you changed the Title of the thread to something like, Who's Interested in Nature or Where's Your Favorite Spot, you might get a better response... :unknw:

Yes I almost skipped this thread because the title was so vague and I don't have the time to sift through all the threads but I'm glad I clicked on it! Always interested in out of the way spots on the road less traveled.

So you have to join Pinterest to view 'The Golden Route' ?

FYI, the ferry between Jagna, Bohol and Benoni, Camiguin has been curtailed since December 2015.