Sign in to follow this  
Tullioz

Matthew may be the First Major Hurricane to Make Landfall in the US in over a Decade

RogerDuMond

I feel it is a one in a million chance of any area getting a direct hit

Yet in West Palm, we had 3 in two years

Lee

Yet in West Palm, we had 3 in two years

West Palm Beach is said to have 58.2 sq mi (150.7 km2)  so I am not saying you will never have a hurricane, I am saying, what is the chances of a direct hit on your area, so did your home get hit 3 times with major damage? I think not... I have lived in Broward County since the 80's and have had a few storms in those years but only one did any damage to our home and that was because a neighbors tree fell and hit my screened enclosure and even that was minor damage, other than that damage, part of a fence once fell down in my first house in Florida and beyond that, no other damage in 30 years of living in paradise, YMMV, the people who lived in Homestead during Andrew certainly would feel otherwise but during Andrew we had no damage in our home in Broward, so my point is, and was, unless you get a direct hit, there will be easily fixable damage, if any. 

So Roger, has your home in the Philippines felt any earthquakes and had any damage from them, I know our Cebu condo got some cracks from the big one a few years back and even those were easy to fix but did happen.

lamoe

Nephew is head E.R. nurse in a hospital near Hilton Head  S.C.  they've started evacuating those patients that can be moved.

Before anyone makes a comment about a male nurse  he makes over $100,000 a year.

RogerDuMond

I am saying, what is the chances of a direct hit on your area, so did your home get hit 3 times with major damage?

They weren't major storms. There were two (Frances and Jeanne) in September of 2004 that were direct hits on Hutchinson Island in St. Lucie that we were in the southern hurricane wind bands for, just south of the eye. In 2005 we received a direct hit from Wilma as it crossed the state. All were at the lower end of Cat 3 storms. We did lose much of our shingles in 2004 and our pool enclosure in 2005.

Didn't you come pretty close to a direct hit from Katrina as it crossed the state?

So Roger, has your home in the Philippines felt any earthquakes and had any damage from them,

Yes and no. Felt a couple mainly confirmed by the water moving in the dogs bowl, but no damage.

Lee

Didn't you come pretty close to a direct hit from Katrina as it crossed the state?  

Katrina was heading our way, I had shutters on a concrete house and we waited relaxing but it turned south, so again, it is the luck of the draw and had those houses in Homestead been made of concrete instead of wood, then they too would have stood up. 

Yes and no. Felt a couple mainly confirmed by the water moving in the dogs bowl, but no damage.

And I am sure you must have also had some storms in your area too, no place on earth is devoid of mother natures wrath, so Cebu or Florida, we each have our own chances of having some damage from mother nature, 6 of one, a half dozen of another. 

Tullioz

It looks like Matthew may not be the storm to break the streak after all. Most of the models now have the storm staying off shore and never making landfall. 

post-15209-0-14104400-1475851414.jpg

cebubird

The news is sensationalism, I watched what they had on locally about our area, showing news men who could barely walk, the video they used must have been stock video from past hurricanes or it was taken in Haiti or somewhere else because the trees were barely moving outside our condo and I can see for miles from our balcony window, the rain did come in bursts but far from what we have had in past hurricanes. Now had this hurricane been over land here, and up the coast so far, then it would have done a lot of damage. IMHO our area of Florida is paradise to us, so far no hurricane that hit us directly in the past or present, so nothing has changed my mind on that, they have been only a slight inconvenience for us during all my years in Florida, yet for some who did get direct hits, they were devastating, it is the luck of the draw. The paths hurricanes can take are giant, I feel it is a one in a million chance of any area getting a direct hit, Cebu not only gets an occasional typhoon but also an occasional earthquake, so far no earthquakes here in Florida, a storm you can prepare for and most Floridians do, an earthquake not so.

[/qu

Edited by cebubird

cebubird

Lee is right about the "sensationalism" by news media-tho' actually governor/others started this by calling it a 'MONSTER' storm

This has ALWAYS aggravated me, but since it has been 11 years, and many more people have moved here, it's even more so.

Had they honestly categorized this storm and informed people that it projections showed it was only going to affect the coast, but for others to remain

vigilant/aware, that would have been proper.

As it is, new people who live away from the coast will think it's all bs, and when the next real 'MONSTER' storm

comes along, they will not take notice.

A hurricane like Frances, in 2004, which literally covered the entire state, is a "monster" storm.

• Like 1

ex231

Before anyone makes a comment about a male nurse  he makes over $100,000 a year.

I wasn't going to, but since you brought it up "supervising nurse" or "in charge nurse" might have been a better choice of words than "head nurse"  :ROFLMAO:

• Like 1

cebubird

Just saw headline in our sunday left wing rag that climate change was "linked" to this storm.

lolhahaha

Just saw headline in our sunday left wing rag that climate change was "linked" to this storm.

Imagine if it hadn't been a decade since the last one.

Wasn't Florida supposed to be under water years ago, according to Al Gore?

• Like 1