Sign in to follow this  
Tullioz

Matthew may be the First Major Hurricane to Make Landfall in the US in over a Decade

Tullioz

Current winds are at 140mph (Catagory 4) If this model is correct it will make landfall near West Palm Beach Florida in about 12 hours from now, ride up the coast line almost to Jacksonville and make landfall again near the Georgia/SC border.  This would impact a lot of people and cause some serious damage if this model is correct.   

post-15209-0-02757000-1475768438_thumb.gif

post-15209-0-16971900-1475769726_thumb.jpg

...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE MATTHEW HEADING FOR FLORIDA...

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.1N 77.8W
ABOUT 25 MI...40 KM WNW OF NASSAU
ABOUT 180 MI...290 KM SE OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...140 MPH...220 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...940 MB...27.76 INCHES
Edited by Tullioz

Tullioz

Sounds like great kite flying weather out on the cape Friday.

post-15209-0-31316200-1475770791_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tullioz

RogerDuMond

My wife is in Palm Beach and my daughter and granddaughter live in West Palm Beach. They should be in for a rough ride.

cebubird

Well, on the positive side of this, the cat 4 winds only extend 15-20 miles, so just a shift of few miles will make HUGE difference tho' if does hug coast all the way up

will definitely cause some damage on the coast. The storm surge will be the worst problem, and folks who haven't evacuated from barrier islands might be dead.

Lot easier to hide from wind than from a tidal surge.

Edited by cebubird
  • Like 1

Lee

Right now some ocean chop but not bad, here is the Fort Lauderdale beach cam for those with a decent connection  https://www.sunny.org/webcam/

post-2331-0-52447700-1475792218_thumb.jpg

Otherwise where we are, apparently the hurricane is about directly east of us right now but it is quite a bit of distance away, so we have hardly any wind and only some rain. It looks like it is going to hit quite a bit north of us, hope those of you up in the middle and up north in Florida will be safe.

post-2331-0-91536500-1475792160_thumb.jpg 

Humboldt

Global climate change ,, grin and bear it.. The new reality just prepare for it   

they recommend you stock 48 hrs of supplies  if you want to ride it out ....  

I prefer about 48 days of supplies ...and higher ground ...

cebubird

Looking like From J-ville to Savannah maybe going to be hardest hit with flooding and storm surge;

St. John's river already 2+' higher 50 mi s of J-ville.

The bend in the coastline between those 2 cities will cause water to really be pushed inland.

USMC-Retired

The worse part is a second storm is brewing off the coast and this storm may do a loop for a second shot at the coast.  Not  a good time to be a Floridian.  

woodchopper

live on utube

Skywalker

CNN are watching events unfolding.

RogerDuMond

Global climate change ,, grin and bear it.. The new reality just prepare for it

Not going to get into global climate change here, but the last few seasons have been relatively calm as far as hurricane land strikes.

this storm may do a loop for a second shot at the coast. Not a good time to be a Floridian.

As of now, it is expected to make a full circle and come in around West Palm Beach, but expected to be no worse than thunderstorm with 35 to 50 mph winds.

Salty Dog

So far no strong winds here in Central Florida. Rainfall approaching 2" over the last 24 hours.

Tullioz

Here is the latest radar image. Looks like it will be a close call for Cape Canaveral. Unfortunately it looks like this storm is going to parallel the coast all the way to North Carolina now according to the latest models. The storm surge as someone already mentioned will be a big problem all up and down the Southeast coast with a path like that.

post-15209-0-58106300-1475833802.jpg

Lee

The news is sensationalism, I watched what they had on locally about our area, showing news men who could barely walk, the video they used must have been stock video from past hurricanes or it was taken in Haiti or somewhere else because the trees were barely moving outside our condo and I can see for miles from our balcony window, the rain did come in bursts but far from what we have had in past hurricanes. Now had this hurricane been over land here, and up the coast so far, then it would have done a lot of damage. IMHO our area of Florida is paradise to us, so far no hurricane that hit us directly in the past or present, so nothing has changed my mind on that, they have been only a slight inconvenience for us during all my years in Florida, yet for some who did get direct hits, they were devastating, it is the luck of the draw. The paths hurricanes can take are giant, I feel it is a one in a million chance of any area getting a direct hit, Cebu not only gets an occasional typhoon but also an occasional earthquake, so far no earthquakes here in Florida, a storm you can prepare for and most Floridians do, an earthquake not so.

cebubird

Like I said earlier---it's a VERY SMALL storm, and impacts only folks right on the coast. Like Lee said from his location, basically nothing.

Certainly don't mean to minimize what is/will be happening on coast concerning the surge, but inland, not even like a mild summer t-storm.