Philippine leader to end drills with U.S. that "China does not want"

• Admin (Retired)
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said he was giving notice to the United States, his country’s long-standing ally, that joint exercises of Filipino and American troops next week will be the last such drills.

He told the Filipino community in Hanoi late Wednesday night that he will maintain the military alliance with the U.S. because of the countries’ 1951 defense treaty. But he added next week’s exercises will proceed only because he did not want to embarrass his defense secretary.

Duterte said during a two-day visit to meet Vietnam’s leaders that he wants to establish new trade and commercial alliances with China and Russia, and that the war games were something Beijing does not want.

“I would serve notice to you now that this will be the last military exercise,” he said. “Jointly, Philippines-US, the last one.”

“I will maintain the military alliance because there is an RP-US pact which our countries signed in the early ‘50s,” he said, referring to the Republic of the Philippines. “I will establish new alliances for trade and commerce and you are scheduled to hold war games again, which China does not want.”

Philippine Secretary of Foreign Affairs Perfecto Yasay Jr., however, told reporters in Hanoi that the joint military exercises as agreed upon by the previous administration will continue until 2017, and that the two sides will review whether there is a need for them to continue beyond 2017.

“He simply said based on the reality there does not seem to be a need for the joint military exercise, but the 2017 joint military exercise that has already agreed upon will continue,” Yasay said.

Yasay said there will no longer be joint patrols by Philippine and U.S. forces in the disputed South China Sea​ as they do not want to further increase tensions.

“What the president was emphasizing were only joint patrols in the area of South China Sea, the disputed area. He said there will be none, this is not covered by any military agreement or treaty with the Philippines,” he said.

“But we will certainly respect all of our agreements especially with the United States,” he said.

Yasay said the Philippines pursues an independent foreign policy that serves its national interests and that his country will strengthen its relationship with China, while not alienating its traditional friendship with the United States and other allies.

Duterte has had an uneasy relationship with the United States since he won a presidential election in May. He says he is charting a foreign policy not dependent on the U.S., and has taken steps to revive ties with China, which had been strained under his predecessor over longstanding territorial conflicts in the South China Sea.

Earlier this month, he said he would not allow government forces to conduct joint patrols of disputed waters near the South China Sea with foreign powers, apparently scrapping a deal his predecessor reached with the U.S. military earlier this year.

He has said he wants U.S. military forces out of the southern Philippines​ and blamed America for inflaming local Muslim insurgencies there.

Duterte has said he was considering acquiring military equipment from Russia and China.

Somewhat strange that he made that announcement in Hanoi.

I am in Vietnam now, and the Vietnamese are very vocal in their hatred of China.

I spent 8 years in China, and the Chinese  do not trust other Chinese.

I do not know why anyone else would trust them.

• Like 5

Somewhat strange that he made that announcement in Hanoi.

I am in Vietnam now, and the Vietnamese are very vocal in their hatred of China.

I spent 8 years in China, and the Chinese  do not trust other Chinese.

I was thinking the same.   it wont be long before we (the US )  are welcomed back to Cam Ranh Bay.   

Edited by samatm
  • Like 1

I was thinking the same. it wont be long before we (the US ) are welcomed back to Cam Ranh Bay.

It looks like we're already more welcome there than The Philippines. Edited by tomaw
  • Like 1

I watched a portion of a news conference where the president responded (didn't really answer) a query related to the joint exercises. He rambled on as is his right, but he seemed to have a very poor grasp of the concepts behind joint exercises. He seemed to complain that the exercises served little purpose and that his country would not be able to buy the military equipment, missiles or whatever that the other countries had. But that is exactly why the exercises help his nation. The military can gain benefit from learning tactics and methods that a well equipped modern military has. As well, the shortages or deficiencies can be identified and then compensated for. Even simple things like using proper radio discipline can be useful. Some military exercises here done by the Philippine army uses cellphones as a primary method of communication. A simple countermeasure to that is phone jammers.

Every day that passes with the current administration I keep comparing the process to a child's fairytale. The big bad wolf comes to mind as he enticed Little Red Riding Hood.

I've likened the situation to a small squirrel coming up to a tree in the forest and finds a huge dragon sitting in the trees, just looking around. The squirrel complains to the dragon, who doesn't seem interested in the forest, but just likes having the nice view. The squirrel just wants some nuts, nothing else. The dragon doesn't care, but won't move and occasionally breathes out some fire breath. There is a large bear who comes along, but he only wants honey or a tree to scratch his back. There is a wolf and mountain lion wandering about, but the squirrel can't get their attention.

In all, the squirrel is screwed if he pisses off any of these predators who have no real interest in the squirrel.

Every day that passes with the current administration I keep comparing the process to a child's fairytale. The big bad wolf comes to mind as he enticed Little Red Riding Hood.

Agree ..... The Emperor's New Clothes could also turn out fit into the picture here....

• Like 1

Agree ..... The Emperor's New Clothes could also turn out fit into the picture here....

I agree. Whenever I watch a speech made by the president, it always amazes me just how his "jokes" get laughed at and the listeners seem charmed by him. In fact, the more vulgar he becomes, the more the audience enjoys the display of his antics.

Reminds me of the behaviour of adults watching some child speaking in an adult and vulgar manner. They (the adults) laugh and react as if the child is "cute" while the words are vulgar and expressions are evil. Of course the child is unaware of how these words have serious consequences if spoken by an adult.

• Like 1

I'm just curious about what will happen when China really takes aggressive action on taking over that precious island the Philippines is trying to protect. As I see it Du30 has 3 choices, try to fight China with just the Philippine military, kiss the Chinese ass and just let them have it or give in and get help from The U.S.

Edited by tomaw
samatm

I'm just curious about what will happen when China really takes aggressive action on taking over that precious island the Philippines is trying to protect. As I see it Du30 has 3 choices, try to fight China with just the Philippine military, kiss the Chinese ass and just let them have it or give in and get help from The U.S.

I THINK he is trying to have it all....    and is willing let the Chinese operate in the So China Sea without fear of reprisal as long as the PI gets a piece of the action.. or Chinese assistance.  (like building projects .he has mentioned a railway in Mindano.   He will continue to play ball.with the US but its a tricky play to keep everyone happy with global political currents swirling about.  

Edited by samatm

I THINK he is trying to have it all....    and is willing let the Chinese operate in the So China Sea without fear of reprisal as long as the PI gets a piece of the action.. or Chinese assistance.  (like building projects .he has mentioned a railway in Mindano.   He will continue to play ball.with the US but its a tricky play to keep everyone happy with global political currents swirling about.

Ya, that's what I think too.
USMC-Retired

Because when you are dwelling at the bottom of the ladder you have no choice.  You can not be picky with your bed partners.  

State Trooper

You cant have your cake and eat it too, Maria.

China and Russia are aware of the Mutual Defense Treaty and the term length of the Philippine Presidency. Not sure those countries want to jump into a historically democratic country when they know the term is only 6 years.

Unless its for short term gains. China for example can promise Duterte a Choo Choo for Christmas but it takes longer than 6 years to build and the next President may swing back towards the West.

However it gives them time to build a real nice military installation in the Philippines EEZ about 120 miles from Manila on Scarborough Shoal.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

Yep a real ferocious Pit Bull...

Screen-Shot-2016-01-18-at-9.58.01-AM-620

• Like 1