Miriam Defensor-Santiago passes away at 71

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/820199/miriam-defensor-santiago-passes-away-at-71

Miriam Defensor-Santiago passes away at 71

20160304NJO-3-620x412.jpg

Former Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago.
INQUIRER PHOTO / NIÑO JESUS ORBETA

Former Sen. Miriam Defensor Santiago passed away Thursday morning after battling lung cancer. She was 71.

“She died this morning in her sleep, she was unconscious when she passed away,” her husband, Narciso “Jun” Santiago, told the Inquirer.

He said Santiago passed away at St. Luke’s Medical Center in Taguig City, where she had been taken on and off for complications of her ailment. Santiago was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer in 2014.

Senator Grace Poe, who was presiding over the hearing of the Senate committee on public information and mass media, confirmed Santiago’s passing during its hearing on the Freedom of Information Bill.

Poe paused the hearing to offer a prayer for her former colleague.

“I would like to ask we take a moment of silence to pray for the soul of an esteemed, a respected courageous colleague, a woman who had helped us in the past pass the freedom of information bill. May we pray for Senator Santiago, she passed away a few minutes ago,” she said./rga

She was my wife's favorite.

We saw her at the airport many years ago and wifey and Miriam had a nice chat while we were waiting for our flight. 

I didn't know who she was at the time but she was very pleasant to talk with.  

Rest In Peace,  Senator.

• Like 2

If she and her running mate would have won the election it would be Marcos Jr at the helm today.

R.I.P ,Iron woman of Asia.

Edited by fred42
CardiacKid

Like her or not. She had the courage to say what she thought on any subject. Right,wrong,or indifferent she made her opinions known. R.I.P. Senator. You will be missed.

• Like 2

i liked her frankness she i think could of been a good leader for the country 

• Like 1