Sign in to follow this  
Haxton

Computer-repair with Homeservice

Haxton

Hi!

So I have moved about 2 weeks ago into a new Condo and since then like every second day or so, when I turn on my computer the monitors cannot boot into Windows (entering save-mode) and nothing happens.

So I need to shut down my comp and restart it again - usually after the 2nd or 3rd attempt the comp boots into windows but the screen is blurred and pixeled (even once got a blue screen) -> after logging into windows, it is always ok.

Just have thought that maybe the video/graphic-card maybe has got loose within the move, but nope.

Also had already comp-tech-people here and they have examined my whole hardware and everything is ok.

The final advice from the tech guy was that my comp is fine and maybe I should get used that turning on my comp and booting into windows might take on many days several attempts and of course I should not forget to regularly backup my data etc....

So this does not sound very relieving to me to be honest.

Likely the next step would be to repair windows ( would like to avoid to reinstall or to clone my operation system) - but I have  win7 and do not have the DVD with the repair-function (the repair-function in the menu does not work for me).

So I guess I need to try another computer-repair-company with homeservice.

Could anyone recommend a solid contact?

Best Regard,

Haxton

Woolf

Take out the memory blocks,

swipe the gold contact points with a cotton swap dipped in alcohol

put back memory blocks

may or may not help, but worth a try

Authentic-Guaranteed-Free-Shipping-Kingm

Edited by Woolf

rep1

quickest solution is to buy a new, cheap disk, make it the primary and install new windows 7 on it. then you should be able to boot cleanly and access old files in the original disk. You should also need to install the drivers.

bad memory could cause all sort of random problems, have you run memory tests already? nothing should be done until you're 100% memory is okay.

video card is all right since it works after entering windows (that's when it's fully activated).

--

the repair from windows 7 DVD is the only way for real repairing (no deletion of any sort). The other type is recovery DVD which just reinstalls your windows and drivers, effectively reset it to the original state when you bought your PC.

PC repairmen are idiots, most of them don't even know how to mount a volume or edit boot parameters. If you do seek help from them, remember every steps they do and research online. They could be helpful for noob advices but not much else.

lolhahaha

If cleaning the memory doesn't work I'd check the bios for correct voltages to the motherboard. Maybe the power supply is going or maybe the power from the wall is low too.

lokias

Hi!

So I have moved about 2 weeks ago into a new Condo and since then like every second day or so, when I turn on my computer the monitors cannot boot into Windows (entering save-mode) and nothing happens.

So I need to shut down my comp and restart it again - usually after the 2nd or 3rd attempt the comp boots into windows but the screen is blurred and pixeled (even once got a blue screen) -> after logging into windows, it is always ok.

Just have thought that maybe the video/graphic-card maybe has got loose within the move, but nope.

Also had already comp-tech-people here and they have examined my whole hardware and everything is ok.

The final advice from the tech guy was that my comp is fine and maybe I should get used that turning on my comp and booting into windows might take on many days several attempts and of course I should not forget to regularly backup my data etc....

So this does not sound very relieving to me to be honest.

Likely the next step would be to repair windows ( would like to avoid to reinstall or to clone my operation system) - but I have  win7 and do not have the DVD with the repair-function (the repair-function in the menu does not work for me).

So I guess I need to try another computer-repair-company with homeservice.

Could anyone recommend a solid contact?

Best Regard,

Haxton

This is a real long shot from what you described.

Once you get it running does it run fine no matter what you use it for? If the outlet is overloaded it should trip the breaker but i have found in some cases (Philippines condo i stayed in)  the breaker half tripped, still supplied power but not enough and a 150W device would pulse power.  Like i said its a long shot but could be your right at the power limit for the outlet.  Try just one monitor on boot up. 

easy44

I had the same problem intermittantly for months. Rebooting would eventually get me into windows where it would work fine until next time I booted up. Finally it wouldn't boot at all. Took it to a repairshop where they cleaned the contacts on the memory and video card. That solved the problem for a few months until it wouldn't boot up again. This time it turned out to be the power supply and a new one solved the problem. I have an old computer that I have upgraded with various components over the years. Between corrosion of contacts and failure of old components I think .i am getting close to needing a new computer. Performance is still adequate, which is the only reason I have kept this one.

Woolf

I had the same problem intermittantly for months. Rebooting would eventually get me into windows where it would work fine until next time I booted up. Finally it wouldn't boot at all. Took it to a repairshop where they cleaned the contacts on the memory and video card. That solved the problem for a few months until it wouldn't boot up again. This time it turned out to be the power supply and a new one solved the problem. I have an old computer that I have upgraded with various components over the years. Between corrosion of contacts and failure of old components I think .i am getting close to needing a new computer. Performance is still adequate, which is the only reason I have kept this one.

Yes it could be the power supply

There is problems with some capacitors leaking and bulging 

the bad capacitors can also be on the motherboard 

look for capacitors that look like this

close-up.jpg

More samples

https://www.google.dk/search?q=bad+capacitor+power+supply&espv=2&biw=1679&bih=967&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5yvC9kazPAhXIF5oKHR-uBqEQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1.1#imgrc=OJveeapdxYGIPM%3A

Edited by Woolf

thebob

Sounds to me like the HD is on it's way out and it is manifesting as a corrupt video driver.

The blurry video is probably the generic driver that hasn't loaded before windows has initialised.

Sound like you need a "new" copy of the Win7 install media.

Haxton

Take out the memory blocks,

swipe the gold contact points with a cotton swap dipped in alcohol

put back memory blocks

may or may not help, but worth a try

Authentic-Guaranteed-Free-Shipping-Kingm

Hi!

Already done and this was in fact my first suspiscion since I have here a history:

I have 4x 4GB RAM Sticks.

And after I have moved the last time, my comp was not able to boot anymore completely -> in fact I had a damaged Stick and the expert has told me that sometimes Sticks can loose the connection when the comp was not in use (here my comp was in fact 1.5 weeks not in use) and regain it later again.

So we have just removed one of my 4 4GB RAM Sticks and al went fine again -> after 2 months I have added the 4th RAM Stick again and it was fine.

The problem with your/my suspiscion is that when a RAM-stick is damaged usually the comp would not boot anymore completely - also not after 1 or 2 re-tries...

quickest solution is to buy a new, cheap disk, make it the primary and install new windows 7 on it. then you should be able to boot cleanly and access old files in the original disk. You should also need to install the drivers.

bad memory could cause all sort of random problems, have you run memory tests already? nothing should be done until you're 100% memory is okay.

video card is all right since it works after entering windows (that's when it's fully activated).

--

the repair from windows 7 DVD is the only way for real repairing (no deletion of any sort). The other type is recovery DVD which just reinstalls your windows and drivers, effectively reset it to the original state when you bought your PC.

PC repairmen are idiots, most of them don't even know how to mount a volume or edit boot parameters. If you do seek help from them, remember every steps they do and research online. They could be helpful for noob advices but not much else.

Thanks so far - yeah memory should be ok - they have ran a test (simulation) and claimed it examines my cpu, memory and videocard.

Any idea where to get a win7 DVD?

This is a real long shot from what you described.

Once you get it running does it run fine no matter what you use it for?

Yes - absolutely fine form then on

If the outlet is overloaded it should trip the breaker but i have found in some cases (Philippines condo i stayed in)  the breaker half tripped, still supplied power but not enough and a 150W device would pulse power.  Like i said its a long shot but could be your right at the power limit for the outlet.  Try just one monitor on boot up. 

Kinda doubt it since I am living in a perceived higher-end condo and no one has reported such problems here - but worth a try, so I will check out your advice - thanks!

ckfm

The thing is, if the home service guy can't fix it, does he still get paid? My wife's nephew does this for a living, he even fixed 2 x HD for me where PC shops at SM wanted to sell me a new hard drive. But there is never a guarantee.

Haxton

Sounds to me like the HD is on it's way out and it is manifesting as a corrupt video driver.

The blurry video is probably the generic driver that hasn't loaded before windows has initialised.

Sound like you need a "new" copy of the Win7 install media.

You mean the harddrive?

I have 2 SSD harddrives - ah this would suck - when I would be 100% sure it is the case, then I would let my whole system clone on 2 new ones and replace it - but if this would not the the problem, then I would have wasted money:(

The thing is, if the home service guy can't fix it, does he still get paid? My wife's nephew does this for a living, he even fixed 2 x HD for me where PC shops at SM wanted to sell me a new hard drive. But there is never a guarantee.

I mean, of course due to very most policies you need to pay - that is clear.

shout out at the community:

If anyone feels specialized and/or know a real expert, then might wanna pm me and i give it a try.

Fees can be discussed before.

I am living in IT Park at lahug.

ckfm

You mean the harddrive?

I have 2 SSD harddrives - ah this would suck - when I would be 100% sure it is the case, then I would let my whole system clone on 2 new ones and replace it - but if this would not the the problem, then I would have wasted money:(

I mean, of course due to very most policies you need to pay - that is clear.

shout out at the community:

If anyone feels specialized and/or know a ral expert, then might wanna pm me and i give it a try.

Fees can be discussed before.

I am living in IT Park at lahug.

There are certain ways to fix the problem you are having, if they don't work, your HDD is toast.O

and, nobody likes home service

and, don't bother with the malls, maybe e-mall has some guys who know.

the rest is a joke,

Edited by ckfm

philuk

remove everything from the motherboard, including cpu, and graphics card,, clean all cleanable contacts with a soft pencil rubber,(by far the best method),

replace the cmos batery,  some pc's will not boot on the first attempt if it is flat, but after a few attempts it gets a little charge and will boot, when a pc stands for a while the cmos batery can go flat,

I have fixed many comps just by removing and reseating the cpu,   it can go tits up when the pc is moved.

Haxton

There are certain ways to fix the problem you are having, if they don't work, your HDD is toast.O

and, nobody likes home service

and I dont like moving my high-end comp around but willing to pay decent home-service fees

and, don't bother with the malls, maybe e-mall has some guys who know.

the rest is a joke,

I would suspect it is a windows-prob at this time since it seems that i cannot update anymore certain drivers and stuff...but sucks if you do not have a windows dvd...

Will follow the advice of philuk and if it did not help I will et clone my harddrived and replace them, in which both will be solved:

new HHDs and a new installed OS...

garg

Get a system rescue CD and burn it to a USB stick. See if you can boot from that instead of the windows on the HD. That can rule out a bunch of the things you suspect.

A couple that I use are system rescue CD and ultimate boot CD. I believe there's a Windows version if the latter, but since I don't do windows I haven't used that one.

• Like 1