Philippine Abu Sayyaf militants free Norwegian hostage

Islamist militants in the Philippines have released a Norwegian man taken hostage along with two Canadians who the group beheaded, officials say.

The Abu Sayyaf jihadists freed Kjartan Sekkingstad in southern Sulu province on Saturday. Unconfirmed reports say a large ransom was paid.

The group of four hostages was seized from a resort a year ago. A Filipina woman was freed in June.

Abu Sayyaf is fighting for an independent Islamic state.

It often attempts to raise money from ransom payments.

Mr Sekkingstad was freed in the town of Patikul on Jolo island. He was handed over to rebels of the Moro National Liberation Front group, which has signed a peace deal with the government and helped negotiate the release.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte had suggested in August that a large ransom had already been paid but that the jihadists were still holding Mr Sekkingstad.

The army said on Saturday Mr Sekkingstad had been freed because of its relentless attacks on the militants.

The four hostages had been taken from an upmarket resort on Samal island in Davao.

In April, the militants killed Canadian John Ridsdel after a ransom deadline expired, then a week later beheaded Robert Hall.

Mr Hall's partner, Marites Flor, was freed in June

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37396675

Edited by Salty Dog
Fixed Quote
  • Like 1

I'm glad the guy was released, but I hope it was because of the relentless attacks one the militants and not because of a ransom being paid. Paying a ransom just adds fuel to the fire.

Edited by tomaw
  • Like 1

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/09/abu-sayyaf-frees-norwegian-hostage-kjartan-sekkingstad-160917112112583.html

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Kjartan Sekkingstad, 56, was handed over on Jolo island, about 1,000km south of Manila on Saturday, after Abu Sayyaf received $638,000 in ransom for his release, said Abu Ramie, a spokesman for the armed group.

>>>>>>>>

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/world/asia/abu-sayyaf-militants-release-norwegian-hostage-in-philippines.html?_r=0

<<<<<

The Norwegian man, Kjartan Sekkingstad, was released after the Islamist militant group received a ransom of about 30 million pesos, or roughly $630,000, the national police said in a statement.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

woodchopper

it will be interesting to see what sort of condition this bloke is in,,horrific i imagine?

Well the Abu Sayyaf has a new target now, Norwegians. They got a ransom for one so they will be looking for more. Thanks to whomever paid the ransom you just put a target on all the Norwegian citizens in country. You might have saved one but ended up putting more in danger.

• Like 5

I think that by paying the ransom they have now put a bigger target on all westerners. :(

• Like 2
Goetz1965

Too late guys.... Too late...

In my opinion its a sign that they get scared and are frignened now.
But as I said ... This step now its too late ... Theyre all already dead ... Its maybe only a matter of weeks

Sadly, if true, in their hands  30000000.00 peso can go long way planning other activities in Philippines.  

• Like 2

I guess we cannot grasp the feeling that this man feels that he is coming home with his head intact..I assume he will not be staying in Samal Island anymore..

• Like 1

I'm glad he's okay but not so happy about the ransom being paid.

The only way I see to stop the kidnappings, ransom requests and beheadings seems really obvious to me but too many people just don't get it. Just stop going to remote resorts on Mindanao where the Abu Sayyaf captures these people.

Edited by tomaw
  • Like 1

Well the Abu Sayyaf has a new target now, Norwegians. They got a ransom for one so they will be looking for more. Thanks to whomever paid the ransom you just put a target on all the Norwegian citizens in country. You might have saved one but ended up putting more in danger.

One thing for certain, Norwegian government has not paid the ransom.

• Like 2
BossHog

I'm glad he's okay but not so happy about the ransom being paid. The only way I see to stop the kidnappings, ransom requests and beheadings seems really obvious to me but too many people just don't get it. Just stop going to remote resorts on Mindanao where the Abu Sayyaf captures these people.

Dude, he wasn't captured in a 'remote resort on Mindanao';

He was captured on Samal island which, while on Mindanao, can hardly be described as remote.

• Like 3

I guess we cannot grasp the feeling that this man feels that he is coming home with his head intact..I assume he will not be staying in Samal Island anymore..

Or maybe he will return to working in the Philippines like Rolando del Torchio. Hopefully this Norwegian guy will decide to live his life on his own terms and not let fear prevent him from doing that. 

He was captured on Samal island which, while on Mindanao, can hardly be described as remote.

With the exception of the west coast of the island that fronts Davao City, the rest of the island is fairly remote. The area of Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental to the east is sparsely populated, so it makes the location of the resort he was taken from an easy target with a fairly easy escape route to the south.

post-15209-0-51347800-1474178926_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The only way I see to stop the kidnappings, ransom requests and beheadings seems really obvious to me but too many people just don't get it. Just stop going to remote resorts on Mindanao where the Abu Sayyaf captures these people.

With all respect, Tomaw, that does not make sense. Abu Sayyaf had never before been active so far east, when the incident happened in Samal. It was a surprise to everyone that they attacked so far from the Muslim areas. It could just as well have happened in Negros or some other area previously considered safe. Also, there have been kidnappings of tourists as far north as Palawan.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Tullioz has an answer for that. Read on.