More training not needed

Poor maintenance by soldiers caused several of their firearms to malfunction during a recent deadly encounter with the Abu Sayyaf in Sulu, the Philippine Army said Wednesday, as it denied that the rifles were defective.

"Most of the rifles inspected by our firearms experts were full of dirt," Army spokesperon Col. Benjamin Hao said in a statement. "After applying proper maintenance procedures, all rifles functioned well except for one M-14 rifle that has a destroyed barrel part."

An exclusive report by GMA News' Jun Veneracion on "24 Oras" on Tuesday said one factor behind the deaths of 15 soldiers during the August 29 encounter with the Abu Sayyaf was malfunctioning firearms.

The report quoted Hao as saying that investigation showed the soldiers have been using the firearms for a long period of time, with some of them using petroleum jelly instead of gun oil as lubricant.

"Ang pinakamabigat na nadiskubre namin nga ay petroleum jelly. One of the tendency ng ganun ay nagi-istuck talaga yung baril. Therefore talagang tendency niya, magi-stoppage talaga siya," Hao said in the report.

Following the encounter, the Army investigated eight R4A3 rifles, a K3 automatic rifle, and an M-14 rifle used in the operation. The rifles did not function well at first, but started firing well after maintenance procedures.

"Our conclusion is that the problem is not about the rifles. The prevailing weather and sustained on-going operations against the ASG partly affected the proper maintenance and care of the soldiers’ rifles," Hao said.

The Army reminded the soldiers to always keep their firearms well-maintained.

"We have already directed our operating troops to follow strictly the maintenance procedures of all our firearms and ammunition," Hao said. "Even the best war fighting equipment needs proper maintenance too." —Joseph Tristan Roxas and Jessica Bartolome/KBK, GMA News

- See more at: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/581373/news/nation/poor-maintenance-not-defects-caused-rifles-to-malfunction-army#sthash.7coRzVdP.dpuf

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/581373/news/nation/poor-maintenance-not-defects-caused-rifles-to-malfunction-army

• Like 1
CardiacKid

On one of my visits, I was stuck in the Manila airport overnight. One of the soldiers supposedly on guard there was amusing himself by repeatedly dropping his M16 on the barrel end. Plain to see he had no respect for his weapon.

colemanlee

the part I found humorous was the guy using petroleum jelly on the weapon....whats next, super glue?

• Like 7

I wish I could show the recent image used in a news clipping here in the LinC. The topic was about the recent push into ASG territory and the image was a view from the inside of a "troop carrier" (some sort of covered truck). There were five or six soldiers in the image. Several had tennis shoes, the ones with boots looked as if they had been run over before being put on. However, more alarming was the careless manner the weapons were being handled. At least two soldiers had the barrel of the weapon on the floor of the vehicle.

There is no surprise to me that the soldiers are ill prepared to deal with many battle conditions.

• Like 5

the part I found humorous was the guy using petroleum jelly on the weapon....whats next, super glue?

Well, if it works so well in other applications, why not in a gun barrel ?     :ROFLMAO:

• Like 1

What's the big deal about a little dirt in the barrel?  One shot should clear it out, right?

• Like 3
  • Admin (Retired)

What's the big deal about a little dirt in the barrel?  One shot should clear it out, right?

getting shot with a dirty bullet causes infection

super glue?

great way to save ammo

• Like 8

Here is a video from an encounter in Basilan in April of this year in which 18 soldiers were killed. You will notice they too had the same issues with weapons jamming. I think it is a combination of several factors. The harsh environment, improper maintenance and in some cases defective equipment. I have visited some camps here in Mindanao and been allowed to fire various firearms at the ranges. With the exception of the recently acquired R4's most of the weapons that I have seen have had better days. Most of the weapons the Philippine government purchases are second hand and have seen many years of use before they are ever put into the hands of the Philippine soldiers. I would guess that a lot of the equipment and weapons are much older than the soldiers that they are issued to. I certainly would not place the blame on the soldiers, they do the best they can with what they are given. It's hard to properly maintain a weapon if you don't even have gun oil. And as Jawny pointed out, this problem goes all the way down to the foot ware in many cases.  

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 1
colemanlee

Well, if it works so well in other applications, why not in a gun barrel ?    

Should have them repeat several times a day,,This my rifle, this is my gun...this is for shooting....this is for fun....

• Like 6
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

The M16 is no stranger to jams, always has been an issue. I owned a select fire M4 for years which I maintained meticulously. I put a lot of rounds through that gun. You also have some of the worst quality ammo being handed out in the Philippines. Well, I don't know about the military but if what they give LE is any representation then they are using shit. 

The new third generation piston operated versions are way better, but the military are using Vietnam era lowers! 

• Like 1

If Duterte doesn't want our troops there, fine. But at least have some of our advisors to train these guys. We should give them weapons only on the condition that our guys train them how to use them.

Edited by tomaw
oscarpears

If you can't supply your army with basic kit then don't send young men into combat, simply to keep the body bag factory in full production   :(   

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

If Duterte doesn't want our troops there, fine. But at least have some of our advisors to train these guys. We should give them weapons only on the condition that our guys train them how to use them.

We should give them a middle finger raised high, maybe a few 'putang ina's and focus on Vietnam instead. 

A 20% duty on remittances would tackle a few bills at home as well. 

• Like 1