Baked beans

Been here in Danao Cebu now for 2 years .....and am enjoying it......

Never felt homesick ......BUT..... I do miss my baked beans in tomato sauce ...... managed to get a few tins last year from my local prince shopping centre .......but none since .....

Does anyone know where they can be bought here in cebu ?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chance555

• BossHog

• RogerDat

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HOMEMADE BAKED BEANS   PRINT Prep time 30 mins Cook time 8 hours Total time 8 hours 30 mins   These homemade baked beans from scratch are so easy to ma

I stopped buying tins of beans years ago when I learned how to cook my own from scratch. Much better flavor and quality. I freeze batches for later enjoyment. Try it, it's easy!   Sent from my V2s

S&R

Posted Images

HOMEMADE BAKED BEANS

Prep time

30 mins

Cook time

8 hours

Total time

8 hours 30 mins

These homemade baked beans from scratch are so easy to make and have great flavor with the brown sugar, molasses and bacon. Your friends and family will think you're a superstar with this one.

Author: Aubrey

Recipe type: Side

Serves: 6

INGREDIENTS

• 1 lb. dried Great Northern Beans
  • 1 lb. thick cut bacon, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 jalapenos, chopped
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • vegetable broth
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp salt

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Soak beans overnight in a plastic container covered with cold water and stored in fridge.
  2. the next day pre heat oven to 250 degrees
  3. place large oven safe pot over med heat
  4. add in chopped uncooked bacon, onion and jalapenos
  5. cook about 5 min until the onions are soft
  6. stir in tomato paste, brown sugar and molasses
  7. (spray measuring cup with cooking spray before the molasses to help get it out easily)
  8. Drain the beans, keeping the liquid stored in a measuring cup
  9. add beans to pot
  10. add enough vegetable broth to bean liquid to total 4 cups and add to pot
  11. raise heat to high and allow to come to a boil
  12. add cayenne, black pepper and salt
  13. stir and cover pot with lid
  14. place in the oven for 6-8 hours until the beans are soft
  • Like 4
RogerDat

US baked beans are at Gaisanos near General Milling on Mactan. Some times they have some from OZ I think.

That store has a variety of imports I have seen no where else. No membership fees.

• Like 2

US baked beans are at Gaisanos near General Milling on Mactan. Some times they have some from OZ I think.

That store has a variety of imports I have seen no where else. No membership fees.

Thanks for the information........

have been to S&R on numerous occasions but have never see them there

colemanlee

Wife gets Bush there also Hunts....

BossHog

Were you looking for a particular brand or something?

Most every decent-sized supermarket seems to have pork and beans with tomato sauce.

Even many sari-sari stores and you also see 'em on shelves at the wet markets, too.

In cans and in those small packs.

post-5791-0-18224000-1473564833.jpg

post-5791-0-75988600-1473564841.jpg

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1

Hunts baked beans were in Prince Argao last month, I bought several cans, not as good a Heinz, but better than nothing!

Have tried the Hunts ...... but was looking more for the uk brands

Heinz, HP, Cross & Blackwell haha

colemanlee

but was looking more for the uk brands

Ah now we see the problem.... :db:

• Like 1

Gaisanos near General Milling on Mactan.... is that metro Gaisanos mactan island ?

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Have tried the Hunts ...... but was looking more for the uk brands

Heinz, HP, Cross & Blackwell haha

Would be surprised if you will find them in Cebu. 

In the Metro Manila area you have a couple specialty 'shops' (basically an extension of British themed pubs) that sell a lot of British gear. The Union Jack Tavern in Alabang is the biggest (and most expensive) British 'grocery'. The Howzat Bar in Makati has some things and there's another place along P. Burgos (on the quiet end) but I don't know its name (or if it has one?) but could get you there with expanded directions. 

• Like 1
RogerDat

Between Petron and General Milling going to the market. I think it is Metro. Local beans are under cooked to me, they crunch at times, Hunts taste OK, but mostly juice. They sell HP sauce there also, Are UK beans soft or crunchy? US are soft.

My German, and English Brow in laws ate them for breky!

Edited by RogerDat
  • Like 1

Gaisanos near General Milling on Mactan.... is that metro Gaisanos mactan island ?

It's a Super Metro .. if you are asking about the one that is between the old bridge, and the Opon area.

If you are asking about the one going from the old bridge , back towards the new bridge ..it's Gausano Mactan Island Mall ..

Both are approx equi-distant from General Milling in opposite directions.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Between Petron and General Milling going to the market. I think it is Metro. Local beans are under cooked to me, they crunch at times, Hunts taste OK, but mostly juice. They sell HP sauce there also, Are UK beans soft or crunchy? US are soft.

Soft....... it's funny I see Heinz tomato sauce and HP sauce but no beans the one I did obtain here before we're very nice nearly on par with Heinz cannot remember the name brand but in a white tin .....looked similar to the tins of chick peas ( YUK ) BUT ON CLOSER OBSERVATION THEY WERE BAKED BEANS ......love beans on toast with anchor butter .......boy do I miss them hahah