If buying from Amazon US - is Amazon PRIME of any benefit ?

senseless

I pay for prime just for Prime TV. The free 2 day shipping is just a bonus (though I usually end up saving a few $100 per year on shipping with it due to my order volume).

I also pay for Spotify, and Netflix -- but recently dropped Hulu as their interface went to shit and the only thing I really ever watched there was the Daily Show which I can get on cc.com for free with advertisements.

Also, you can have Amazon ship directly to a service like my-shoppingbox.com -- I had no problem using another address for shipping with my account. They didn't even hold the orders to make sure they were legitimate. I used to do that with MSB but ended up having my mother repackage stuff for me so I can save a bit at MSB. Amazon likes to send stuff in boxes way too big for the thing being shipped.

Edited by senseless
  • Like 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonnyBravo

• Enuff

• rep1

• Goetz1965

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

there are many benefits with Amazon prime, music (like spotify), tv/movies (like netflix) and free 2 day shipping on most items.   not living in usa probably the service won't benefit you at all.

From Prime's Terms and Conditions:   "Prime is limited to certain products sold by Amazon.com (or third-party merchants participating in the Fulfillment by Amazon program) on www.amazon.com that are

I use Amazon Fire Stick TV here and I was considering getting a prime membership for the music, films and stuff... I guess it depends on how much time you have for tv and music etc.

JonnyBravo

I pay for prime just for Prime TV. The free 2 day shipping is just a bonus (though I usually end up saving a few $100 per year on shipping with it due to my order volume).

I also pay for Spotify, and Netflix -- but recently dropped Hulu as their interface went to shit and the only thing I really ever watched there was the Daily Show which I can get on cc.com for free with advertisements.

Also, you can have Amazon ship directly to a service like my-shoppingbox.com -- I had no problem using another address for shipping with my account. They didn't even hold the orders to make sure they were legitimate. I used to do that with MSB but ended up having my mother repackage stuff for me so I can save a bit at MSB. Amazon likes to send stuff in boxes way too big for the thing being shipped.

Hmmm I'm asking about Kodi in specific. Take a look at the link if you have no idea what I'm talking about. 

http://www.alphr.com/software/1002235/what-is-kodi-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-app-formerly-known-as-xbmc

senseless

Hmmm I'm asking about Kodi in specific. Take a look at the link if you have no idea what I'm talking about. 

http://www.alphr.com/software/1002235/what-is-kodi-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-app-formerly-known-as-xbmc

You can route any device on your network through a VPN. You can also selectively route to the VPN based upon source ip address (as opposed to all traffic). Setup the VPN on the router with no default routing through the vpn. Setup a static DHCP configuration for the MAC address of the device. Then do a static routing for that IP address to the VPN tunnel. Then the only device on your network using the VPN would be Kodi so your other computers don't slow down.

lolhahaha

You can sign up for prime, get all your stuff shipped 2 days instead of the typical 7-10 then cancel prime.

I've done that a few times.

Does anyone know if Kodi works in the PI?

If you are routing the firestick through a vpn, Kodi works fine.

You can sign up for prime, get all your stuff shipped 2 days instead of the typical 7-10 then cancel prime.

I've done that a few times.

but international shipping??

Kabisay-an gid

Please remember that the OP is inquiring whether a US Amazon Prime account would be worth the money for expats living in the Philippines. You do NOT get free 2 day shipping on items shipped to the Philippines and other foreign countries. Free 2 day shipping is only available for orders shipped to domestic US addresses.

Sign up for the month free & experiment -- see what the fees are, just don't confirm the orders & don't use 1-click.

Prime also subsidizes next day delivery and sometimes gives you coupons (most of which I have no need for) if you choose slower than 2-day delivery.

I doubt Prime will do much for someone in PH, but the best approach would be to dummy up some sales with & without prime & see what the difference is.

JonnyBravo

You can route any device on your network through a VPN. You can also selectively route to the VPN based upon source ip address (as opposed to all traffic). Setup the VPN on the router with no default routing through the vpn. Setup a static DHCP configuration for the MAC address of the device. Then do a static routing for that IP address to the VPN tunnel. Then the only device on your network using the VPN would be Kodi so your other computers don't slow down.

If you are routing the firestick through a vpn, Kodi works fine.

Thanks for the reply. I know what a VPN is, my question is what is the benefit (other than what senseless is saying- using the VPN for only Kodi so the other devices don't slow down)? Personally I would use a VPN if I wanted to hide my activities from my ISP or I would do it because the website(s) are blocked and I need to show I'm from somewhere else to get access. Currently, from what I gather the only ISP who cares if you have Kodi is Comcast. So if you use Comcast you will require a VPN unless you aiming to get their 6 strikes your out. So this brings me to the next part, do the ISP in the Philippines care what your streaming? Giving the fact you can go anywhere and purchase pirated stuff like its a legit business. If they don't care, then there is no need for a VPN.

Thanks for the reply. I know what a VPN is, my question is what is the benefit (other than what senseless is saying- using the VPN for only Kodi so the other devices don't slow down)? Personally I would use a VPN if I wanted to hide my activities from my ISP or I would do it because the website(s) are blocked and I need to show I'm from somewhere else to get access. Currently, from what I gather the only ISP who cares if you have Kodi is Comcast. So if you use Comcast you will require a VPN unless you aiming to get their 6 strikes your out. So this brings me to the next part, do the ISP in the Philippines care what your streaming? Giving the fact you can go anywhere and purchase pirated stuff like its a legit business. If they don't care, then there is no need for a VPN.

I use a firestick, jailbroken with kodi and have Comcast......... no problems for the last year since I got it.

The Philippines regulates content, so you need the vpn to change location, otherwise you will only be able to view a very small portion.

• Like 1
JonnyBravo

I use a firestick, jailbroken with kodi and have Comcast......... no problems for the last year since I got it.

The Philippines regulates content, so you need the vpn to change location, otherwise you will only be able to view a very small portion.

Copy. That was the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

lolhahaha

Please remember that the OP is inquiring whether a US Amazon Prime account would be worth the money for expats living in the Philippines. You do NOT get free 2 day shipping on items shipped to the Philippines and other foreign countries. Free 2 day shipping is only available for orders shipped to domestic US addresses.

Yes, that is true but if you've ordered from Amazon alot, with and without prime, you'd know that the 2 day shipping means that the item is shipped immediately and without it your item may not ship for a week, or longer. That effects when you get it no matter where you live. 1

For instance, I ordered about 20 different things around Oct 10th all without prime. I received most of them by the 20th but still 2 items didnt even ship until around the 20th. If I had prime everything would have been at my house by the 12th and they would have shipped it all within a few hours.

... If I had prime everything would have been at my house by the 12th and they would have shipped it all within a few hours.

Maybe half of them in two days, they often "round up" the estimated delivery to a 3rd day, a lot of items are "special" deals to Prime member but take longer (still faster than non-Prime), and there are lots of good deals on items that aren't Prime eligible at all.

Prime is great deal for frequent customers, but you don't get everything in two days.

Edited by MikeV
lolhahaha

Prime is great deal for frequent customers, but you don't get everything in two days.

Where do you live? I live near DC and I sometimes get 2 day shipping in 1 day but never more than 2.

Regardless the point was that 2 day shipping items ship very fast, meaning that if you live wherever you will still get it alot faster than if you use standard shipping which may ship 10 days later.

The value of prime shipping was greatly diminished when amazon starting using USPS for many of the deliveries. These are late 50% of the time... they even flat out lost a $400 SSD.

For shipping to the PI, Amazon estimates the import duty and automatically adds it to your order. So the question is, will the new minimum taxable value of 10k actually be followed anytime soon? Has anyone tried to order anything from overseas since the law took effect?

Edit: amazon still tacking on a hefty (250%) import tax:

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-30%20at%2011.10.

Edited by Lost