Four PH universities in world ranking

rainymike

Am not a big fan of rankings. But it is a useful starting point if deciding to go with a local university.

http://www.manilatimes.net/four-ph-universities-in-world-ranking/284429/

STATE-RUN University of the Philippines rose to the top 400 of the 13th edition of the annual university ranking compiled by British company Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), leading three other Philippine education institutions.

UP ranked 374th in the 2016-2017 listing, a significant improvement from last year when the state university ranked within the 401-410 range.

QS said this was based on UP’s rise in three measures, namely academic reputation, faculty/student ratio, and international faculty ratio.

The Jesuit-run Ateneo de Manila University stayed at the 501-550 range, while De La Salle University of the Brothers of Christian Schools and the Dominican-run Pontifical University of Santo Tomas (UST) stayed at 701+.

QS said the Ateneo was the only Filipino university that improved its research impact, measured using QS’ citations per faculty metric.

La Salle, meanwhile, was the only Filipino university that improved its ranking in employer reputation.

It also has the “most impactful researchers, as measured using citations per faculty.”

UST, Asia’s oldest university, entered the published rankings this year, QS said.

QS uses six performance indicators to assess universities’ rankings. These are academic reputation, 40 percent; employer reputation, 10 percent; student-to-faculty ratio, 20 percent; citations per faculty, 20 percent; international faculty ratio, 5 percent; and international student ratio, 5 percent.

American universities led the world ranking, with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology at No. 1, followed by Stanford University and Harvard University.

“This year’s rankings imply that levels of investment are determining who progresses and who regresses. Institutions in countries that provide high levels of targeted funding, whether from endowments or from the public purse, are rising,” said Ben Sowter, QS research head.

“On the other hand, Western European nations making or proposing cuts to public research spending are losing ground to their US and Asian counterparts,” he added.

Edited by rainymike
  • Like 3
Maybe Next Yr

I know it's just rankings but I love that M.I.T. is #1 ... makes me proud (my daughter's graduate degree)!

:wave:

• Like 4
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
So with a country population of over 100 million (12th in the world) University of the Philippines is the only Philippine's ranked University in the top 400 at 374th.

Remember that member who wanted his children to be educated in the UK with a population of only 65 million (22nd in the world). Well he has 48 to choose from in the top 400. With 4 in the top 10.

That other member who lived in the USA, that took so much guff for daring to say the USA had better universities than the Philippines. Well with a population (326 million) a little over 3 times that of the Philippines. The USA has 77 in the top 400. With 5 in the top 10. 

Both the UK and the USA have several in the top 10 located within the same city.

TheWhiteKnight

So with a country population of over 100 million (12th in the world) University of the Philippines is the only Philippine's ranked University in the top 400 at 374th.

Remember that member who wanted his children to be educated in the UK with a population of only 65 million (22nd in the world). Well he has 48 to choose from in the top 400. With 4 in the top 10.

That other member who lived in the USA, that took so much guff for daring to say the USA had better universities than the Philippines. Well with a population (326 million) a little over 3 times that of the Philippines. The USA has 77 in the top 400. With 5 in the top 10. 

Both the UK and the USA have several in the top 10 located within the same city.

Those people were debunked for finding any reason to stay here in paradise even at the cost of their kids education and future.

JamesMusslewhite

But being that there are over 14,000 Universities worldwide means attending one of those four (top 701) Philippine universities shows you can pay far more for far less in those other 13,300 schools of lower learning... Now consider paying $240,000 for an education ranked lower than one actually costing less than $40,000 here in the Philippines. Not all children (probably most) actually have the academic scores or the financing required to attend one of those top 701 universities found in the US, UK, or other European countries..  :biggrin_01: 

• Like 3
A_Simple_Man

So Philippine Universities are way down the list, but Singapore has the 12th ranked University.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/top-100-world-universities-201617-list-full-massachusetts-institute-technology-cambridge-a7228046.html

I wonder if it would be feasible for local prodigies to go to Singapore to study?

Highlighter

Even if they are cheaper I don't see foreign students beating a path to the 4 local universities.

I could attend a university ranked lower than 374 in a developed country and I bet my degree would be more readily accepted that that of a Philippines university.

I think this topic was beaten to death in a previous discussion.

• Like 1
rainymike

Those people were debunked for finding any reason to stay here in paradise even at the cost of their kids education and future.

I don't have a problem if a kid wants to go to a top American university. I don't have a problem if a kid wants to go to a lower tiered state university or community college. I don't have a problem if a kid wants to go to a good Philippines university. Nor do I have a problem if a kid decides to take up a trade and go an alternate route like that. Or join the military. Whatever choice the kid wants is fine with me. But I will have some advice for the kid as well and discuss their options based on our circumstances and the kid's abilities/interests. I will advise a kid to avoid diploma mills.

I figure there are maybe four thousand or so US universities and colleges. No idea about how many European higher education institutions there are. Clearly, a whole bunch of US/European institutions ranked lower than a number of Philippine universities. But for me that's neither here nor there. Rankings are a good starting point. But the final decision for college education for most people will be based on many other criteria that are relevant to them. 

• Like 1

QS uses six performance indicators to assess universities’ rankings. These are academic reputation, 40 percent; employer reputation, 10 percent; student-to-faculty ratio, 20 percent; citations per faculty, 20 percent; international faculty ratio, 5 percent; and international student ratio, 5 percent.

I am not sure I see value in their rankings at all. 40,000 surveys are sent to "academics" to determine academic reputation, 20,000 surveys are sent out to employers (not sure how many companies) to determine employer reputation http://www.qs.com/research.html which together represent 50% of the ranking score. 20% is based on student to faculty ratio which is more relevant in some classes than others and misleading in research Universities where the professor is conducting research and a grad student is teaching class. 20% based on citations, again favoring research Universities where professors are submitting to publications instead of teaching classes. The final 10% based on international faculty and student ratios that don't in themselves make a school better or worse.

Large research schools who have work programs with employers that are surveyed and actively advertise and promote themselves overseas will do the best in the ranking. Says nothing at all as to the quality of education a student actually receives.

• Like 1
smokey

But being that there are over 14,000 Universities worldwide means attending one of those four (top 701) Philippine universities shows you can pay far more for far less in those other 13,300 schools of lower learning... Now consider paying $240,000 for an education ranked lower than one actually costing less than $40,000 here in the Philippines. Not all children (probably most) actually have the academic scores or the financing required to attend one of those top 701 universities found in the US, UK, or other European countries..  :biggrin_01:

your right james the school cost way less then the west but so is the pay after they finish school ... Guess you could go to school here and then marry a foreigner

• Like 1
Maybe Next Yr

When discussing universities with my son (a couple years back) he was critical of all educational institutions prefering to be an autodidact (self learner) ... he makes a point for those who are motivated to learn, it's all there in books and on the Internet.   Although my daughter agreed, she countered with the concept of "signalling and certification" ... knowing something and gaining mastery is most inportant but for a young person finding there way in the world (and in the job market) degrees show some sort of discipline and knowledge.   

Interestingly, he dropped out of college after 3 years and now makes a good bundle computer programming in San Francisco.  Actually makes as much as her with her PHD in organic chemistry.   So, lots of ways to make it in the world ... academics is one of the more standard ways.

:scratch_head:

• Like 2
JamesMusslewhite

When discussing universities with my son (a couple years back) he was critical of all educational institutions prefering to be an autodidact (self learner) ... he makes a point for those who are motivated to learn, it's all there in books and on the Internet.   Although my daughter agreed, she countered with the concept of "signalling and certification" ... knowing something and gaining mastery is most inportant but for a young person finding there way in the world (and in the job market) degrees show some sort of discipline and knowledge.   

Interestingly, he dropped out of college after 3 years and now makes a good bundle computer programming in San Francisco.  Actually makes as much as her with her PHD in organic chemistry.   So, lots of ways to make it in the world ... academics is one of the more standard ways.

:scratch_head:

A lot of advance degrees are shift managers where little paper hats are the uniform of the day and they ask if you would like an apple pie with that order. Then again the ranks of billionaires are filled with college dropouts and those who never attended a college. Forbes shows that the average net worth of Forbes 400 members without a college degree is 6.6% higher than members with a degree. So there are certainly variables such as personal character, work ethic, initiative and instincts to be considered. http://www.forbes.com/2003/07/28/cx_dd_0728mondaymatch.html

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Isn't your son going to a university in Texas...

A_Simple_Man

he was critical of all educational institutions prefering to be an autodidact (self learner)

A wise person can learn anything they desire, but without direction they could end up re-inventing wheels and mousetraps.  Perhaps it is better to study with other people to avoid wasting time and energy on such devices?