Sign in to follow this  
Mikala

10 things to remember at PNP checkpoints

Mikala

President Rodrigo Duterte has signed a proclamation, declaring a state of national emergency on account of lawless violence in the country.

Proclamation No. 55 commands the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to "suppress all forms of lawless violence in Mindanao and prevent violence from spreading."

Several checkpoints have been put up in major thoroughfares in Metro Manila and other parts of the country after the proclamation took effect. 

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/09/06/16/10-things-to-remember-at-pnp-checkpoints

Here's a list of checkpoint guidelines you must know:

Check Point Tips.jpg

Edited by Mikala
  • Like 4

shadow

11. You have no obligation to enter the checkpoint area. If you have broken no obvious laws, but say your vehicle registration is expired and you do not wish to have your vehicle impounded, simply pull over and stop with the 100 or so Filipinos before you enter the checkpoint area. This is your right. They watch these areas for wanted persons and illegal activities, but they are not allowed to approach/question you outside the checkpoint area without probable cause.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 2

Jawny

In our area, there are frequent cockfights and the highway will be littered with dozens of motorcycles as the event happens. We usually know when and where these are.

If we happen upon a large collection of motorcycles, and there is no cockfight, it's pretty certain a PNP checkpoint is up ahead.

We had a couple of deliveries of building materials held up because the drivers did not have a license or the vehicle was without safe tires or such. Once the PNP checkpoint was shut down, the deliveries were made.

I think of this as a sort of bamboo radar detector.

• Like 5

Monsoon

I've always thought their checkpoints are very antiquated. Easy to send a scout and report where they are. 

• Like 2

shadow

I've always thought their checkpoints are very antiquated. Easy to send a scout and report where they are. 

Yes, but due in part to the general street smarts of many locals, surprisingly they still catch people!

• Like 2

Jawny

I realize the checkpoints appear to be inefficient. However, every single election season they set up COMELEC roadblocks with the express purpose of searching for weapons which are not allowed. There are dozens and maybe hundreds who get arrested for violations. So, the PNP may be careless or even incompetent, but those violating the law are more so.

• Like 3

Irenicus

Yes, but due in part to the general street smarts of many locals, surprisingly they still catch people!

\

Guilty as charged.

Had my bike impounded a year or so back cuz I forgot my drivers license.

I was only 200 meters from my house, but they weren't hearing it.

And of course they wouldn't let me pay a 500 peso "spot fine."

I got the honest cop and had to spend a whole 50 pesos to get it out of impound the next day.  Well, 50 pesos and spending about 4 hours going from government office to government office.....

• Like 4

Enuff

in most states in usa, they have to publish all dui checkpoints days in advance

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

correction, every state in the US. apparently it's unconstitutional otherwise

http://valley.newhavenindependent.org/archives/entry/Why_Do_Police_Announce_DUI_Checkpoints/

Edited by Enuff

RogerDat

i remember before on Mactan they had a pre check point officers on motor cycles, and gave chase to any U turn bikes, never saw a car avoid a CP.

Edited by RogerDat

Headshot

11. You have no obligation to enter the checkpoint area. If you have broken no obvious laws, but say your vehicle registration is expired and you do not wish to have your vehicle impounded, simply pull over and stop with the 100 or so Filipinos before you enter the checkpoint area. This is your right. They watch these areas for wanted persons and illegal activities, but they are not allowed to approach/question you outside the checkpoint area without probable cause.

Well, guess what. The other day I was passing a PNP checkpoint in Canduman, and some of the PNP officers had walked down the street to where the riders had stopped short of the checkpoint and were checking them there. I suspect that the way the law is written, the checkpoint is wherever the officers say it is, and NOT just where the sign is. I think it is about time they started going after those who avoid the checkpoints by stopping short and waiting until the checkpoint disbands. Maybe this is one of Roddy's changes to better law enforcement. Besides, many of the riders who had stopped short were not wearing helmets, so it was an obvious infraction. The traffic was very slow on the road that day, so I had a chance to see what the officers were doing. Just because you are 100 meters away from a checkpoint sign, are you going to argue when a PNP officer holding an M-16 tells you to pull over?

BTW, I would love to see a reference to the "right" to avoid checkpoints (in the laws). I would guess that is a right that doesn't really exist anywhere.

• Like 6

colemanlee

Part of the emergency decree is they can now check in the car....there was a link to that here somewhere and I checked it with a few PNP friends and got and answer to the affirmative..... 

• Like 2

Havelland

I've often wondered how strict are they on drivers who have a couple of beers and are pulled over at a check point? Do they have they breathalyzers at check points? Can they take a person away for a blood test? 

colemanlee

In the entire time Ive been here nobody has even mentioned that....I really doubt they care as long as you dont fall out of the car....drank with many PNP and Army here and its never even been brought up....

SkyMan

I've often wondered how strict are they on drivers who have a couple of beers and are pulled over at a check point? Do they have they breathalyzers at check points? Can they take a person away for a blood test? 

A friend of mine witnessed a guy at a checkpoint, no helmet.  When they handed back his license and rego he fell over.  They helped him up and trying to start his bike he fell over again.  Helped him up again and gave him a push to get his bike started.

Shortly after arriving here the jeep I was on was stopped at a checkpoint and all passengers told to get off but they told me to stay on.  My only brush with white privilege.

BossHog

The material in the op is from the PNP and just refers to their checkpoints under the current state of emergency

which are different than the LTO stops where they check for license, registration and helmets which some members seem to be referring to.

I imagine the laws which cover the two are quite different.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1