Hearing aids and flip flops

I posted before  regarding the excellent quality of care I've received from both the local Rockford clinic and the major VA hospital in Madison Wisconsin.

if you want a rough test

1,200 Hz  tops left , 2,100 right at full PC volume

About 1 month ago I read about  some new type of hearing aids  that had excellent noise cancelling abilities. Mine pick up everything and amplify it. Called VA Audio dept to see if they had similar. Mine are over 5 years old and the tech has  really improved.  Was told I was just under the schedule for replacement ones  - Jan of 17.

The tech said   WTH  - we'll do it.  Said to schedule an appointment with local primary  to make sure nothing causing  reduced hearing.

This was on a Monday - called Rockford VA - nurse  said simple ear wax and infection exam - will squeeze tomorrow  - OK? 

Tuesday had exam - no infection and not enough wax to make a candle.  He had nurse call Madison and email  results.

Got a scheduled  appointment with Audio for full test  for that Thursday  - Madison is about 60 miles North - 100 Km - they do reimburse for millage

Tests took over an hour - left pretty much shot  but not stone deaf so no Cochlear implant (yes they do them) / right  maybe 50%.  Tech recommended behind the ear as they have a slightly better high freq recognition.

Received aids today  - tech didn't like fit of left ear and said she'd send it back with a rush order.  While programing the aids  she explained a somewhat new feature - since my major loss is in the high freqs  the aids automatically  synthesize them into lower ranges.  

After Adjustment  she asked how do they sound - I said I hear a low rumbling in left ear - not my - Tinnitus -  turns out I was hearing the ceiling vent fan across the room - another tweak and it was gone

Showed me the graph and said that  they'd have to amplify  the highs so much that  it would do more damage than good in left ear.

Said  female and children's voices will sound much lower than they actually are.and forget about  pure  musical sounds  

Then asked if I always carry phone with me in house (no)   - added Bluetooth amplifier / repeater  so I can automatically answer  phone through aids.  

3 years guarantee, 6 month  trial period for acceptance, 2 year period of replacement if lost or I brake 1 or both.  If significant additional loss  in left will go to Cochlear  even before scheduled replacement  Phonak V-90 series with custom molded ear piece and silver to match hair :dance:   http://choicehearingaids.com/hearing-aids/phonak/phonak-audeo-v-hearing-aids#.V8jat_krK00

So, up to now  VA been berry berry good to me.

As for the flip flops - they have a store there that sells stuff for patients and staff  - lots of military themed clothing and gadgets - had a pair of Okabashi (made in USA) flip flops on sale  - $21  MSRP - $11 on sale 50% off clearance (last pair my size) $5.50 my price.  

First pair I've ever owned but figured  I'd need then eventually. damn comfortable 

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

I just played it and could hear into the 14,000 Hz range.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

100 Hz - 9,000Hz

Edited by Salty Dog
Skywalker

Do I have a problem?

Where to start......      :yahoo:

• Like 5
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range

The human range is commonly given as 20 to 20,000 Hz, though there is considerable variation between individuals, especially at high frequencies, and a gradual loss of sensitivity to higher frequencies with age is considered normal. The range shrinks during life, usually beginning at around age of eight with the upper frequency limit being reduced. Women typically experience a lesser degree of hearing loss than men, with a later onset. Men have approximately 5 to 10 dB greater loss in the upper frequencies by age 40...

Edited by Salty Dog
colemanlee

I checked some of my old audiograms...what I have is complete hearing loss in the 4000 range...what that means in real life is I have to turn the tv up damn loud and if Im talking to someone in say something like a restaurant with background noise I cant hear you I have to pretty much try to lip read....tried hearing aids one time, but all they did was amplify the background noise so you ended up with the same problem....its not a great problem just an annoyance ...

I checked some of my old audiograms...what I have is complete hearing loss in the 4000 range...what that means in real life is I have to turn the tv up damn loud and if Im talking to someone in say something like a restaurant with background noise I cant hear you I have to pretty much try to lip read....tried hearing aids one time, but all they did was amplify the background noise so you ended up with the same problem....its not a great problem just an annoyance ...

Same here tried two sets  could hear a fan out of sync -   these new ones  are much more comfortable  and the freq substitution seems to be helping a lot 

Actually understood  7 year old grandson  in car - when  new left one arrives  should be much better

Here's  a test from  the aids MFG  - recommends quiet room and headsets

https://www.phonak.com/com/en/online-hearing-test.html

Features Advantages V90  This is what VA provides as one of the over ear models

Essential Channels Divides sound frequency spectrum to automatically adjust to a variety of sound environments allowing each section to be processed independently for more accurate hearing adjustments. 20 16 12 8 EchoBlock System Improves listening experience in environments with reflective surfaces that tend to produce echos (e.g. worship centers, auditoriums, caves, etc.) ●

Speech in Car Reduces road noise to enhance communication while driving. Enjoy comfortable, quiet conversations. ●

Comfort in Echo Significantly reduces echoing in locations that have hard, reflective surfaces like museums, gymnasiums and auditoriums. ●

Speech in Loud Noise Automatically focus on one person in a very noisy environment like in a noisy crowd or restaurant. ●

Music Provides a more natural-sounding experience while listening to live music. ● ●

SoundRelax Softens annoying loud sounds. 

WindBlock Suppresses wind noise to enjoy your time outside. 

ZoomControl Changes the direction of your hearing focus, providing a solution in situations where you cannot face the speaker.

Speech in 360 Automatically selects the direction of speech, improving speech intelligibility without the need for you to face the speaker.

Real Ear Sound Restores localization cues, while giving natural sound perception. ● ●    

Comfort in Noise Uncomfortable loud sounds are reduced enhancing your listening comfort. ● ● ●  

SNR-Boost Combines information from all microphones to separate speech to the front from surrounding noise. ● ● ●  

FlexControl Enhances and personalizes the SoundFlow automatic system, making sounds clearer and more comfortable. ● ● ●  

FlexVolume Individualizes volume control based on your personal hearing loss that makes sounds louder and softer suited to your needs. ● ● ●   DuoPhone Enables the caller's voice to be heard in both ears while using the phone. ● ● ●  

SoundRecover Restores high-frequency hearing. Enjoy the everyday sounds around you that enrich your life. ● ● ● ●

Tinnitus Balance Generates a signal which can help reduce ringing in the ears while wearing the instruments ● ● ● ●

UltraZoom Automatically extracts the single voice you want to hear from a noisy crowd allowing you to focus on the voice you want to hear. ● ● Speech in Noise Noise is reduced from the back allowing you to focus on the conversation in front of you. ● ● ● ●

Calm Situation Creates a comfortable listening environment to simply relax or enjoy a one to one conversation. ● ● ● ●

WhistleBlock Technology Feedback-free hearing ● ● ● ●

QuickSync Gives you the ability to control both hearing aids with one touch. ● ● ● ●

Auto Acclimatization Automatically increases the amplification level while speed of the acclimatization and the target level can easily be adjusted. ● ● ● ●

Noise Block Reduces uncomfortable background noise such as traffic or the constant hum of a ceiling fan without affecting your ability to understand. ● ● ● ●

Water Resistant Provides protection against water, sweat, moisture and dust. ● ● ● ●

Warranty 3 year Warranty, 2 year Loss/Damage. ● ● ● ●

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1