Sign in to follow this  
tim

2017 OPM FEHD Open Season information

tim

The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) officially announced the dates for the 2016 FEHB Open Season which will run from Monday, November 14, 2016 through Monday, December 12, 2016.

During the annual Open Season, employees can take the actions listed below for the Federal Flexible Spending Account Program (FSAFEDS), Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP), and the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program.

2017 FEHB and FEDVIP Premium Rates

OPM will post FEHB and FEDVIP premium rates for 2017 in early October. Participants will find specific federal benefits open season information -- including 2017 FEHB health plan brochures -- on on its website, http://www.opm.gov/insure, by the first week in November.

NOSOCALPINOY
Open season of the OPM FEHB coverage is a thing of the past for us, because ever since we became eligible for TRICARE Overseas Health coverage (no monthly premiums) since I'm also retired military and was already retired in the Philippines as a permanent resident and we have no reason to return to the U.S. indefinite, I suspended our Civil Service OPM FEHB coverage since it was unless to use in the Philippines, which our FEHB monthly premiums went back into my monthly CRS OPM pension as extra cash savings every month. 

For those only retired from Civil Service (OPM) without any military benefits, it is mandatory to have FEHB coverage for life and best utilized only residing in the U.S. and or U.S. territories.

Some retirees with Military and Civil Service benefits have both TRICARE and FEHB coverage (optional) for convenience just in case purposes for U.S. use of better health care, but residing in the Philippines medical payments are still most often 100% up front payments and are eligible for a 70% to 80% reimbursement after the fact.   

• Like 1

RogerDat

In November I hit 65, so Medicare part A will be withheld from SS. What use is that to me? I have tricare also.

NOSOCALPINOY

In November I hit 65, so Medicare part A will be withheld from SS. What use is that to me? I have tricare also.

Medicare Part A (is free) & B is automatically deducted at age 65 I believe it is still $104 a month.

TRICARE will pick up any cost for Medicare when in the Philippines using TRICARE. 

When we were in the U.S. on vacation 2 yrs ago Medicare is 1st payee and then TRICARE 2nd.

Unfortunately Medicare Part B is mandatory in order to retain TRICARE coverage.  

Jawny

You can get a lot of useful information at the SSA websites. In fact, you can begin the process before you become eligible. Not sure if it is still age 65 nor what effect TRICARE has on your choices. However, part B is optional and you need to choose to have it as a benefit. There are other parts, also optional and each have varying costs.

The op was referring to the open season for OPM managed health care plans.