Advice on Airline Booking dates

Wifey and I will be coing to the Phils in January 2017 but I do not want to book a return date because my stay will be undetermined. Can I book round trip and change the dates later?  How would I go about this? 

I dont believe I can book one way tickets. Does anyone have advice on this open ended stay dilemma?

Jack

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jackr

• ex231

• Lee

• sugbu777

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks this helps.  I have never been there without a certain date to get back but now I'm funally done with work. Beginning the journey of retired living and learning all the tricks of living and tra

If your wife  is Filipina you can come on a one way ticket and get the balikbayan stamp good for a year. If not, then you can both come on a one way ticket and get a cheap "throw away" onward ticket.

Many airlines will let a Filipino on without a return ticket or onward ticket since they are the actual BB but will not let a kano on without one, even when the law in the Philippines is that BB's do

Posted Images

If your wife  is Filipina you can come on a one way ticket and get the balikbayan stamp good for a year. If not, then you can both come on a one way ticket and get a cheap "throw away" onward ticket. Usually Clark to HK is cheap.

As for ticket changes they are usually costly. I've been quoted up to $450 before. Make sure you know what you're getting into before you buy it.

• Like 1

Many airlines will let a Filipino on without a return ticket or onward ticket since they are the actual BB but will not let a kano on without one, even when the law in the Philippines is that BB's do not need one, yet I once emailed the BI and explained that I am married to a former Philippine citizen and they replied that I need a return or onward ticket dated within one year even when traveling with her. :unsure:

We always buy a round trip and then pay the fee to change if necessary, you can book up to one year out on the round trip ticket or I believe that you can buy an open end return ticket on some airlines.

I also suggest you bring a copy of the Balikbayan law to show, for those airline employees who will not give you a boarding pass until you prove to them that you do not need a visa, I have to do that just about every year we check in at Delta. 

BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGE

Below is a copy of the memorandum saying BB's do not need onward tickets.

post-2331-0-64280800-1472580930_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks this helps.  I have never been there without a certain date to get back but now I'm funally done with work. Beginning the journey of retired living and learning all the tricks of living and travelling overseas. We just got a Delta Sky Miles Card thinking this will help...we'll see. Anyway, I'm not worried so much about the money  as I am the flexibility to travel when I want.  Next stop...Cebu 2017.

• Like 2

We just got a Delta Sky Miles Card thinking this will help

It doubt it will, it has never helped me, the desk clerks are afraid they will get a large fine and have to pay for our return ticket should the Philippines rejects us. 

If you plan on staying over one year, then do as ex231 suggested and just buy a cheap throw away ticket and since you will apparently be flying with Delta, please take my advice and have a copy of both items I provided just in case they do to you what they have done to me too many times for me to count. 

Have a great trip and I hope life in the Philippines works out great for you both.

Nangulo

Check your airline.  They may let you change, without penalty, AFTER you've left.  That is, you can change the return leg for free after you've used the outbound leg.  I did that (twice) on Cathay Pacific; changed return leg after arriving PI.  Other carriers do this, as well.

LechonBuddha

Booked with EVA Air for Jan last week and their website explains their policy for changing flight dates pretty well. Changes cost either $50 or $100 and also the difference between your old fair and new one if any. Basically, changing your return rate seems simple enough and if you get a decent fare to begin with the cost of the change should be negligible and well worth the flexibility. I will also note that they break their fares down to (I believe) three levels, 3, 6, and 12 months. Each level is costlier than the next but allows you a longer window to change your return date, obtain flyer miles etc. So, if you think you'll stay longer than three months make sure your fare allows the longer window to change.

On thing I'm not clear on is whether you need an additional outgoing ticket prior to the expiration of the standard thirty day visa period, regardless if you'll receive a BKK privilege on arrival and have an outgoing ticket longer than thirty days after arrival

miles-high

I'm not worried so much about the money as I am the flexibility to travel when I want.

Changes cost either $50 or $100 and also the difference between your old fair and new one if any.

Changes cost anywhere between $50 to $150 (UA, DL, JL, NH, etc.) I have done it so many times it is just a phone call away... :D

sugbu777

Changes cost anywhere between $50 to $150 (UA, DL, JL, NH, etc.) I have done it so many times it is just a phone call away... :D

PAL usually costs us $105 to change (includes the intn't'l and domestic leg, (CEB)) but unfortunately with PAL it's not usually a phone call away.

On thing I'm not clear on is whether you need an additional outgoing ticket prior to the expiration of the standard thirty day visa period,

Nope, just an onward ticket or a BB .. either one is good

Maybe if you buy those first class super special platinum member tickets like you do :)

KAL quoted me $450 once. Had a friend that just flew back on PAL and they charged him $340 for the change AFTER he screamed and cried over the $440 they originally wanted.

Wifey and I will be coing to the Phils in January 2017 but I do not want to book a return date because my stay will be undetermined. Can I book round trip and change the dates later?  How would I go about this? 

I dont believe I can book one way tickets. Does anyone have advice on this open ended stay dilemma?

Jack

Have you considered what sort of visa you will use for the long term stay? The BB method works, with limitations, such as the need to travel together. However, there are visa choices you can make prior to arrival. If you were to decide on a 13a visa (spouse of a filipina) then you can do this prior to arrival. In fact, it is easier to do before arrival then doing it here.

With a visa in hand, the ongoing ticket is not a requirement.

Not correct

for 13A yes  

then you are a resident and do not need a return or onward ticket

If you have a 7A (tourist) visa you need a return or onward ticket

Not correct

for 13A yes  

then you are a resident and do not need a return or onward ticket

If you have a 7A (tourist) visa you need a return or onward ticket

Thanks for repeating what I said.

Have you considered what sort of visa you will use for the long term stay? The BB method works, with limitations, such as the need to travel together. However, there are visa choices you can make prior to arrival. If you were to decide on a 13a visa (spouse of a filipina) then you can do this prior to arrival. In fact, it is easier to do before arrival then doing it here.

Thanks for repeating what I said.

Well what you said could easily be misunderstood 

that is why I wanted to state that with a 7A visa you need a forward or return ticket

Well what you said could easily be misunderstood 

that is why I wanted to state that with a 7A visa you need a forward or return ticket

Nope, not misunderstood. Just trying to help out a member without adding to any confusion. Give it a try.