LAX and motor home?

Jester

I keep vacillating on this, LAX SFO and SEA.  I am comparing all the related costs and storage of the RV, transportation to and from airport and such, adding our location at the time which is very flexible. Also cannot forget the cost of the flight.

At the moment SEA is at the top of the list. Also at the moment one thing leads to another and I cannot get out of Florida :cool:  I should have been on the road weeks ago.  

I keep vacillating on this, LAX SFO and SEA.  I am comparing all the related costs and storage of the RV, transportation to and from airport and such, adding our location at the time which is very flexible. Also cannot forget the cost of the flight.

At the moment SEA is at the top of the list. Also at the moment one thing leads to another and I cannot get out of Florida :cool:  I should have been on the road weeks ago.  

You might not care in the least, but keep in mind that some carriers out of SEA may be using older aircraft.

Jester

You might not care in the least, but keep in mind that some carriers out of SEA may be using older aircraft.

Thanks for the heads up.   Older- tested and proven to be fit to fly!    

A_Simple_Man

I remember flying out of SFO about 3 years back and the security lineups made all other airports I have been in look like cake walks.  I can only guess what LAX would be like.  SEA is probably less stressful, at a guess.  Perhaps all US airports are security nightmares these days?

• Like 1
Kabisay-an gid

That would likely be a plus, as some of the older aircraft are roomier and have more bathrooms.

Thanks for the heads up.   Older- tested and proven to be fit to fly!    

Ha!  Sure, still some 747s flying out of there I think...lots of engines!

I remember flying out of SFO about 3 years back and the security lineups made all other airports I have been in look like cake walks.  I can only guess what LAX would be like.  SEA is probably less stressful, at a guess.  Perhaps all US airports are security nightmares these days?

You're right, LAX can be a PITA at the wrong time.  Lots of TPACs departing around midnight so even using the priority lines it can suck in the late evening.

That would likely be a plus, as some of the older aircraft are roomier and have more bathrooms.

That's probably a good point if you're flying economy.  Otherwise it's crazy to fly an older cabin - a recent biz class cabin is much more comfortable than an older 1st.

Headshot

The best routing I have been on was last year on Delta from Seattle to Narita (Tokyo) transferring to Philippine Airlines to Cebu (and visa-versa). The route from Seattle to Narita is the shortest possible trans-Pacific flight (it takes an additional two hours to get to Seoul Incheon) which broke up the trip nicely into doable segments. We had a three hour layover (going from Cebu to Seattle) four hour layover (going from Seattle to Cebu) at Narita, which allows enough time for the possibility of delayed arrival flights, a leisurely meal and some shopping, if you wish without being rushed between gates. All-in-all, it was the most relaxed trans-Pacific crossing I have ever had (and I have been across the pond MANY times). In the future, that will be the routing I choose, if at all possible.

Edited by Headshot
SkyMan

If the flights out of LAX were non stop and $199 then it would sound appealing!
LAX-CEB direct on PAL now.
Kabisay-an gid

That's probably a good point if you're flying economy.  Otherwise it's crazy to fly an older cabin - a recent biz class cabin is much more comfortable than an older 1st.

I fly coach, as do most expats flying to and from the Philippines. I'll take a 747 over a 777 every time, if I have a choice. I flew in 747's domestically for years, never had a problem getting in a bathroom even when the flight was packed. Also the coach seats were more comfortable back then, because they didn't try to cram so many in like they do on the 777.

Last round trip to the Philippines on a 777, I had to wait in line multiple times to use a bathroom, and the seat/shoulder room/legroom were uncomfortably small. I don't remember ever having a trip that uncomfortable on a 747.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked 2 adults RT on EVA air out of SEA, Sept.  26 for $665.16  ea.     

• Like 2