LAX and motor home?

Jester

I see some inexpensive flights LAX to Cebu in Sept/Oct. We will be out that way in a motor home so LA would not be out of the way.

Where could I store a motor home in a safe, reasonably priced  area and get transportation to LAX?  I see it is possible for Seattle but LA might be more convenient.  

Would there be other west coast options? A quick search showed LAX and Seattle.    

Any ideas on this?      Jester

I see some inexpensive flights LAX to Cebu in Sept/Oct. We will be out that way in a motor home so LA would not be out of the way.

Where could I store a motor home in a safe, reasonably priced  area and get transportation to LAX?  I see it is possible for Seattle but LA might be more convenient.  

Would there be other west coast options? A quick search showed LAX and Seattle.    

Any ideas on this?      Jester

San Francisco is the other option.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/prk/5736405178.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/prk/5715688632.html

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=rv+storage&find_loc=Los+Angeles%2C+CA

death_by_cupcake

Hi Jester,

Airport parking would be extremely expensive at around $50+ per day for an RV.

I recommend using a Self-Storage facility.  Most have RV storage and you can rent a space for a month around $100 depending on your size requirement.  Then take a taxi from the self storage facility to LAX.  

I plan on following my own advice this fall as I can't think of other ideas to store the rig.  Let me know how it works out for you or if you figure somewhere else to store your RV.  When are you traveling?  Me November.  

There are numerous places to store a motor home in the LAX area. I'd just Google it and pick the cheapest one that has gated storage. Look under Self Storage units. Absolutely DON'T put in LAX parking facility in or just outside LAX. They will be way too expensive. Look for a self storage facility that has RV parking away from LAX.

As far as getting to LAX I work for an airport shuttle service that offers an exclusive service to the airport, which means you won't be sharing the ride with others. You can pm me for more information. I'd give you the information here but that might be viewed by the forum officials as unauthorized advertising).

LAX is a congested mess almost all the time, so allow at least 3 hours AFTER getting to the airport. The worst day is Sunday. People go there then because the freeways are clear but the airport itself is a congested mess! Best time to go would be the middle of the week in the middle of the day. Saturdays are a bit better than Sundays and less traffic getting there.

Edited by tomaw
  • Like 1

San Francisco is the other option.

And maybe a better one imo. Airfare is on par with LAX and I'd much rather use SFO than LAX.

Another SFO advantage is that the OP could park his motor home away from all the traffic madness and take Amtrak/BART to the airport. I used the train once and it was pretty painless.

Remember that Uber and other similar ride services will always be cheaper than a taxi.

• Like 1

And maybe a better one imo. Airfare is on par with LAX and I'd much rather use SFO than LAX.

Another SFO advantage is that the OP could park his motor home away from all the traffic madness and take Amtrak/BART to the airport. I used the train once and it was pretty painless.

Remember that Uber and other similar ride services will always be cheaper than a taxi.

Sure, great point, that was one of the things I LOVED about having SF as a base - quick, easy transportation to SFO on BART from downtown.  And sure, could park somewhere way out in the East Bay and take BART directly to SFO.

easydrifter

When I lived in Arizona I used to drive my car up to Las Vegas and leave it in storage for months on end while traveling to the Philippines. There are lots of storage yards (reasonable rates) with motorhomes in them within a $25.00 cabfare to the airport. Short flight to LA, skip the LA traffic, might be an option for you depending on which way you're coming from.

• Like 1
miles-high

Make sure you do need/don’t need winterization/a trickle charger outlet if you store it SFO or farther North…

We kept it here a few times (not to LAX, we flew out of SNA then)… http://www.newportdunes.com/

That was some 20 years ago haha must be more expensive these days… :D

Jester

Thanks for the input always greatly appreciated.  The flights out of LAX are cheaper, but LA to me is the western version of Manila! Last time I was in LA, it took 4 hours to get to and return from the airport, it was a short drive early Sunday morning. 

I am going to do some more looking at SFO,  I like the BART to the airport idea. Flight prices are comparable to SEA, depends where I am around that time.

Jester

A_Simple_Man

The flights out of LAX are cheaper, but LA to me is the western version of Manila! Last time I was in LA, it took 4 hours to get to and return from the airport,

Did you give any thought to easydrifter's Las Vegas option?  I did a quick peek at Southwest Airlines site flying 2 adults LAS to LAX in Sept and back in Oct and it would only cost $180 which is probably cheaper than parking anywhere near LAX, IMHO.

I am going to do some more looking at SFO,  I like the BART to the airport idea.

Also consider that you can transfer from Amtrak to BART, so that opens up a lot of other possibilities. I do know that Amtrak and BART share the same station in Richmond and maybe a couple of other places not sure on that.

The really cool thing about BART at SFO is that the station is right outside the International terminal.

Jester

Did you give any thought to easydrifter's Las Vegas option?  I did a quick peek at Southwest Airlines site flying 2 adults LAS to LAX in Sept and back in Oct and it would only cost $180 which is probably cheaper than parking anywhere near LAX, IMHO.

Thanks for asking, no adding another flight does not sound at all appealing.  If the flights out of LAX were non stop and $199 then it would sound appealing!

Headshot

Thanks for asking, no adding another flight does not sound at all appealing.  If the flights out of LAX were non stop and $199 then it would sound appealing!

Well, if you fly domestically into LAX on American Airlines, there is a walking ramp that goes from the secure area of the AA terminal directly into the secure area of the Tom Bradley International terminal, bypassing the ticketing and TSA areas of the international terminal. You just check your luggage all the way through to your final destination (Cebu?) at your airport of origin, and you never have to deal with any of the hassles or delays that are common at LAX. It is definitely an appealing option.

Edited by Headshot
Jester

Well, if you fly domestically into LAX on American Airlines, there is a walking ramp that goes from the secure area of the AA terminal directly into the secure area of the Tom Bradley International terminal, bypassing the ticketing and TSA areas of the international terminal. You just check your luggage all the way through to your final destination (Cebu?) at your airport of origin, and you never have to deal with any of the hassles or delays that are common at LAX. It is definitely an appealing option.

Learn something new everyday!   Thanks.  

Headshot

Learn something new everyday!   Thanks.  

You're welcome.