Bringing Up Children Here?

smokey

My wife said about half, but what does she know?

roger has spent many years studying the average person in his town so he knows the locals better then they know themselves if you don't believe me ask him

• Like 2
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RogerDuMond

• USMC-Retired

• smokey

• Skywalker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have 2 stepdaughters   20 yr old in 4th year college at Southwestern for teaching degree. If she were in the USA she would be far behind as she graduated in 10th grade and is on track to finish wi

I have to agree.  I went to rubbish state schools in the UK, left with no qualifications at 16. Well, a 25 yard swimming certificate.  Still managed through dedication and focus to become successful.

If so..  what is it that brought you here in the first place..  there must be something about the Philippines that you love.   And though you might like to get "back" to the UK..  your wife and kids

Posted Images

smokey

Wonder what I would be doing to earn a living if I was born here instead of the us ????????????    trike driver ,,, jeep driver ... maybe if I was lucky security guard... dang just being born in a country has a lot to do with your future regardless of education

• Like 8

dang just being born in a country has a lot to do with your future regardless of education

or just being in a country too.

USMC-Retired

In my opinion, and experience, the US is one of the worst countries in the world to visit to become more 'wordly'.

Not sure exactly why anyone would need to leave the US unless there are circumstance that would require it.  So who gives a rats ass about wordly.  I am more concerned about opportunity and livability for the future of my children.   They must be able to function in a first world society without hiccups.  

• Like 2
Headshot

Good post, but this culture is toxic and corrupt from top to bottom.  And if you swim in higher circles, the kid will just be surrounded by snobbish, arrogant types, learn condescending mentality and deal with the other side of the corruption.   We all want the best for our kids, but this country isn't it.  I've read your posts before on this topic and you had plans to leave when your daughter was a certain age.  Has that changed?  This definitely isn't directed at you, Headshot, but it's always interesting listening to expats try to rationalize raising their kids here.  I presume most made the same rationalizations when they decided to actually have a child.  Kind of an afterthought, or perhaps just the price of admission.

I still feel the same way about the SHS Ateneo de Cebu, where my daughter goes, as I did a few years ago. I think back then, I would have let my daughter stay at Ateneo until she finished 8th grade, whereas now the cutoff is 6th grade at the latest. I have always thought it important that she attends high school in the US, since that will make admission into a good university there easier. I don't think very highly of the high school education available in the Philippines (for reasons I have already given), and I have an even lower opinion of what they try to pass off as a university education. Students in the same major (with the same emphasis) go lock-step through the curriculum with all students taking the exact same classes throughout their time at the university. They still rely heavily on rote memorization, and any projects are done in groups rather than individually. It turns out cookie cutter graduates who still don't know how to think for themselves.

The only thing that has changed is my health. I had a small center-line stroke in 2013 (during Yolanda), I got Dengue Fever in December of 2015, and I just had a pacemaker/defibrillator implanted two weeks ago (I am in the US and will be returning to Cebu next week). In other words, I am feeling a lot more vulnerable now than I was three years ago. I have Tricare and Medicare as my health insurance. Tricare is worth much more in the US than it is in the Philippines (they discount claims pretty badly because they suspect everybody in the Philippines of fraud and because doctors and hospitals here don't know how to detail services the way US insurance wants them done), and Medicare is totally worthless in the Philippines.

The pacemaker/defibrillator I just had implanted cost $50,000 for the device. If I had that done in Cebu, I would have ended up footing the entire bill because doctors don't understand the rules that US insurance require. For instance, Tricare required that I was on a certain set of medications for three months (to see if the meds would fix the problem) before they would pay for the device. That kind of possible misunderstanding makes major medical care in the Philippines very risky. Had I gone into the hospital in Cebu for an angiogram like my cardiologist wanted, things would have spun out of control, and they would have implanted the pacemaker/defibrillator right then. Tricare wouldn't have paid anything, and that would have destroyed my finances.

However, I'm not panicked over my health right now. We have a few little touch-up projects left to do on our home before we put it on the real estate market. After we put it up for sale, then we will work diligently to sell it, but we won't put any artificial deadlines on the sale that will adversely affect the sale price (I will be putting it on the market for less than it's worth anyway, so it will be a bargain for whomever buys it). When it sells, then we will start the process of getting everything in order to move, but we will rent a townhouse or condo until the school year is over, or until my wife gets a spousal visa, whichever comes last.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 4
Headshot

The typical American is isolated and miopic about what a big world it is out there because they are threatened by it.

You just described most humans ... NOT just Americans. Most Filipinos are suspicious of anything outside of their small neighborhood or village. It is the same everywhere. Few people in the world see the value of travel or living outside of their little worlds.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
SumDumJoe

There are some good schools here in the Philippines. I am very happy with the high school we have our boys in now, but I know it's the exception to the rule. Our eighth grader is studying math and chemistry, that I didn't get into until grades ten to twelve in the States. The math courses for our tenth grader are way beyond anything I studied. They are definitely getting a solid foundation for future learning and future success. 

The key is what do they do with their education. I don't believe there is much of a future for them here. It's the driving factor for me legally adopting them. Once they have the blue passport, I will sleep much better. I want them to have more opportunities than I feel are available to them here, even with the best of educations. 

• Like 1

Wonder what I would be doing to earn a living if I was born here instead of the us ????????????    trike driver ,,, jeep driver ... maybe if I was lucky security guard... dang just being born in a country has a lot to do with your future regardless of education

Bingo!

Ask your self where you would be in life today with a Filipino education instead of your 1st world education?

Tradewindze

I could visualize our children attending school in the Philippines, but our circumstances would have to radically change for that to happen. They are happy and thriving in their current schools. Three attend private school, one attends public school. When we were living in the Phillipines they were in school for about 6 months. The school was a shambles and the curriculum was probably mediocre at best. But it was an important experience for them--basically embedded in a cultural experience different then their own.

I would think a foreign exchange type situation there would be valuable for them, if it was in a higher caliber placement.

Davaoeno

And you think it's good enough?

Personal dedication and intelligence plays a big part in who we are and what we achieve.  I have seen people here on this forum who dont seem to have learned how to do even the simplest of things, and who seem to continually seek help in making the most basic decisions- presumably when they have received what they perceive as a good education.

• Like 3
Soupeod

I had to skip through the rest of the posts after section 8.   I did notice my GF with a teaching degree going for ONE job in the province with 40+ other applicants all applying... They have tons of teachers with no avenue to teach and that was really crazy to me in my mind.  And she said she will have a class of 50 students if she is lucky enough and actually belonged to the right party. Gov, Mayor etc... which she isnt.  Good luck.

Back to the other topic:

I brought my wife to the states and children.  The children didn't get any education because she flipped out after the cultural differences and wanted to party and ignore the children. /divorce.  Poor children gain Zero.  I should have kept them all in the Philippines until I could have educated them to western values. My fault.

Edited by soupeod

What is the topic again? Give advice to a member about whether it is better to stay in the Philippines for his children or move to his homeland and try it there? Or did I miss the part about how middle aged, middle class white guys had a good life in spite of a difficult childhood. Maybe it is the marital advice being offered that is useful. John is going to have a lot of choices of good advice.

This topic has certainly generated a lot of suggestions. I just hope the OP decides before tHe investment in a new fence.

I have been reading this topic with a lot of interested, I bet most foreigners not living in the Phills because of weather etc, The phills last i want to live, i thought about at one stage, however i am better off in Australia the pension and health benefits and a better way of life, also my wife loves it here, if i die my wife does not get my pension like some from other countries, if my wife wants to return to the phills long after I die she must have to live 25 years here in Australia to get the pension to live when she retires.

On my many trips in the past to Cebu I have meet many expats from USA Australia Uk, most are not there because of their health, most are running away from things, ones I have talked with from previous relationships refuse to pay maintenance for his kids, other have criminal back grounds , so they find it hard going back to their own countries getting arrested, so they forced do live in the Phills and bring and their kids going to school, another expat i talked with brought a house there, becuse his partner wanted it, he said worse thing he did he did not feel safe anymore should brought a condo, however had no money left,and wished now he stayed in the USA.

Someone here said Roger wife works in The Usa 6 months of the year maybe because he has a problem in the usa,she proberly works there so he can send his kis extended family kids to good schools, sorry if I offend anyone here, I properly get barred here for speaking my mind, as someone here once said in another topic here some wont amit the truth.