Bringing Up Children Here?

smokey

And so is your answer, it makes absolutely no sense. You can't use costs of education in America and equate it to wages in the Philippines. Get with the program Smokey.

your right as usual roger no one can tell you a thing about schools or Florida or nursing schools I should of had the kids follow your path and raise goats then they can be happy living here and riding a jeep to work every day and enjoying their 30 peso lunch ....

• Like 4
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RogerDuMond

• USMC-Retired

• smokey

• Skywalker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have 2 stepdaughters   20 yr old in 4th year college at Southwestern for teaching degree. If she were in the USA she would be far behind as she graduated in 10th grade and is on track to finish wi

I have to agree.  I went to rubbish state schools in the UK, left with no qualifications at 16. Well, a 25 yard swimming certificate.  Still managed through dedication and focus to become successful.

If so..  what is it that brought you here in the first place..  there must be something about the Philippines that you love.   And though you might like to get "back" to the UK..  your wife and kids

Posted Images

RogerDuMond

your right as usual roger

Finally you are admitting the inevitable conclusion.

no one can tell you a thing about schools or Florida or nursing schools

You missed the whole point (again) of what I was saying.

1. Whether you are in the Philippines or the western world, it is the parents responsibility to audit and supplement their child's education if you want them to make the most of themselves. It is my opinion that you cam accomplish that just as well here as you can by sending them off to the high paid babysitters that pass for teachers in the US.

2. The only thing I said about nursing schools here in the Philippines is that they are a waste of money because the glut of nursing graduates makes it difficult to get a job in that field for most of them.

cebubird

Finally you are admitting the inevitable conclusion.

You missed the whole point (again) of what I was saying.

1. Whether you are in the Philippines or the western world, it is the parents responsibility to audit and supplement their child's education if you want them to make the most of themselves. It is my opinion that you cam accomplish that just as well here as you can by sending them off to the high paid babysitters that pass for teachers in the US.

2. The only thing I said about nursing schools here in the Philippines is that they are a waste of money because the glut of nursing graduates makes it difficult to get a job in that field for most of them

Edited by cebubird
smokey

well I never finished high school so I guess education is way overrated

Yes you are right many girls there my wife and myself know who graduated as nurses,cant get jobs over supply, lots have to work overseas as domestics because they talk very good english, that also applies for doctors my wife ex boss daughter graduated as a doctor had to work 3 years as a volunteer doctor no pay to be recognised, finally got a paid position , this also applies to many who study different professional jobs also end up as domestics overseas, or unemployed.

JohnSurrey

If a child grows up in the west he or she will have western values.

If a child grows up in the Philippines he or she will have Filipino values.

Yes - that really doesn't appeal to me that much either now - but as I said in my op perhaps I'm biased because of my wife's family.

JohnSurrey

I've a young daughter and she won't be in the Philippines past age 7, however I have to manage that.  You can find quality schools here and supplement their learning, but the culture is the problem.  As another poster said, do you really want your kid to have the mentality of the average filipino?  Parents can only do so much and eventually society will take over and be a bigger influence.  And the kid will figure it out later in life, just exactly how much they got screwed. "Thanks Dad, for raising me in a dirty, corrupt 3rd world culture.  I'm so glad I didn't grow up in a civilized, first world country full of opportunities and advantages.  That would have really sucked."

Yes I think that's more or less where I am coming from - thanks.

• Like 1
JohnSurrey

To the OP, I hope you consider that much of this response is from those who have various agendas, not pertaining to the well being of your family. I wouldn't want to seefhediscussion limited to just members who have or had school aged children. However, you seemed willing to make your thoughts known and ask for opinions and advice from members who have lived through the experience of educating children here. Some posts deal more with proper use of tax dollars and such, which seems a bit misplaced considering your interests.

I've also noticed an amusing bit of arrogance when posts from members are dismissed as useless because they are fooling themselves into believing good things happen in the Philippines. I've lived here a longtime, raised several children and have two SIL as well as numerous cousins who are teachers, both in DEPED and private. From that as a basis, I have concluded the education system is and has been in need of improvements, I also beleive it won't improve much while my kids are being educated here. So, there's no rose colored glasses being worn by me.

That said, I very satisfied with the education my children have gotten here. Where you live, there are several private schools, some right in Baybay city. As well, the nearby large university, Visayas State University, VSU, has a private elementary as well as a laboratory high school. If that isn't enough, ormoc city, a much longer commute, is commonly a place people take their kids for school.

So much of the education of the kids comes from the effort the family makes to assist. Even with mediocre schools, a child can be well educated and go on to higher education with a good foundation......all here.

I know there are the elitist members who only "want the best" for their children, and good on them. However, I'm convinced that a well educated and well adapted family can do fine here. This is not because I am rejecting any country or such. I'm happy to be here as assume you were.

Good luck with the decision making.

Thanks Jawny - It's horses for courses and of course if you have plenty of money it doesn't matter too much where you live in the world. Also if the Filipino family is well educated/hard working/industrious etc. that would probably also help a great deal.

This probably won't sound right but one of things that worries me most is my children acquiring the "values" they will/are acquiring from their friends/family and others.

Or as Bahalina put it - do I want them acquiring the mentality of the average Filipino later in life - answer is no but I obviously don't want to stop them making friends etc.

Enuff

Thanks Jawny - It's horses for courses and of course if you have plenty of money it doesn't matter too much where you live in the world. Also if the Filipino family is well educated/hard working/industrious etc. that would probably also help a great deal.

This probably won't sound right but one of things that worries me most is my children acquiring the "values" they will/are acquiring from their friends/family and others.

Or as Bahalina put it - do I want them acquiring the mentality of the average Filipino later in life - answer is no but I obviously don't want to stop them making friends etc.

wife's family motto:

birds of a feather, flock together.

we have family members we don't associate with and for good reason.

you can't choose you children's friends but you can limit the time they spend with them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
RogerDuMond

Or as Bahalina put it - do I want them acquiring the mentality of the average Filipino later in life

The average Filipino here is industrious, courteous, and devoted to family. Why wouldn't you want your children to grow up with those values?

USMC-Retired

The average Filipino here is industrious, courteous, and devoted to family. Why wouldn't you want your children to grow up with those values?

Because they would be late to the party to express them.

• Like 4

You know very well this world isn't run by such kind of people.

Why wouldn't you want your children to be on top of the food chain??

The average Filipino here is industrious, courteous, and devoted to family.

My wife said about half, but what does she know?

• Like 1

This is for those who brought their wives back to a western country, did you notice how much they learned so quickly once arriving, well my wife was 26 years old when she came to the US and just being in the US and traveling around the US with me, she has gained so much knowledge and become so worldly, that I know that she never could have or would have learned that much had she stayed in the Philippines, how about you other guys, is your wife amazing you how much she is learning, now that she is in a first world country????

Well my point is, if an adult can learn that much, how much more would a child learn when given the chance of a first world life. 

• Like 4
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

This is for those who brought their wives back to a western country, did you notice how much they learned so quickly once arriving, well my wife was 26 years old when she came to the US and just being in the US and traveling around the US with me, she has gained so much knowledge and become so worldly, that I know that she never could have or would have learned that much had she stayed in the Philippines, how about you other guys, is your wife amazing you how much she is learning, now that she is in a first world country????

Well my point is, if an adult can learn that much, how much more would a child learn when given the chance of a first world life.

Now Lee, you do realize that many expats don't want a more knowledgeable or worldly Filipina.

You know the saying "Knowledge is Power"...:db:

• Like 3