Bringing Up Children Here?

fred42

So you came to the Philippines, to have a child, that you planned to remove from its extended family and culture, to ship back to the UK as a foreign child, to be educated.

Yeah, I can see how you thought that through.

My kids are all British and spent their first 10 years in the UK...So I ripped them away from the culture`s there and they are now here living the good life with me and their British mother!!

2 of my daughters English friends from the U.K both got pregnant when they were 16.. Your paying for their Pampers BTW.

Yeah..I thought it through and it didn't take much thinking about..

Edited by fred42
  • Like 2
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RogerDuMond

• USMC-Retired

• smokey

• Skywalker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have 2 stepdaughters   20 yr old in 4th year college at Southwestern for teaching degree. If she were in the USA she would be far behind as she graduated in 10th grade and is on track to finish wi

I have to agree.  I went to rubbish state schools in the UK, left with no qualifications at 16. Well, a 25 yard swimming certificate.  Still managed through dedication and focus to become successful.

If so..  what is it that brought you here in the first place..  there must be something about the Philippines that you love.   And though you might like to get "back" to the UK..  your wife and kids

Posted Images

Skywalker

My kids are all British and spent their first 10 years in the UK...So I ripped them away from the culture`s there and they are now here living the good life with me and their British mother!!

So therefore you must be quite happy with the Filipino education system here.

Yeah..I thought it through and it didn't take much thinking about..

Yes, I can quite see how you missed the whole point of the OP.

I am curious how many guys moved to the Philippines because of the weather ,,, or the food ... or could it be the women...

me for food! no idea why everyone else seem to hate it..

So you came to the Philippines, to have a child, that you planned to remove from its extended family and culture, to ship back to the UK as a foreign child, to be educated.

Yeah, I can see how you thought that through.

what's wrong with that? There are countless Chinese and Singaporean students studying in UK alone.

JohnSurrey

Exactly why should the British tax payer educate your Filipino kids? Because that bit escapes me

I guess one reason is because they've got British Passports and the right to live in the UK.

• Like 5
smokey

You can't depend on any school in the Philippines or in Florida for the proper education of your child, that is your responsibility. The difference is that here you can control it where in Florida you can't.

YOU CAN CONTROL THE EDUCATION SYSTEM HOW .... ITS FIESTA TIME EVERY WEEK

• Like 3
fred42

So therefore you must be quite happy with the Filipino education system here.

It was challenging at first no doubt about it but we got over those hurdles within 2 years.. They are in 3rd year college now and both doing very well.

Absolutely no regrets..On the contrary.

• Like 2
JohnSurrey

As a UK tax payer I disagree with paying for the education of kids who are not British born.

I'm a UK tax payer too and even though my children weren't born in the UK I think you'll probably understand why I don't agree with you.

• Like 3
JohnSurrey

*sigh* I really can't imagine.

Thanks for your input Skywalker - I wish I'd got as many replies to my other post ...

I see you're in Cebu - You don't happen to live anywhere near Toys R Us do you?

Skywalker

I've got kids in schools here. I know how the state schools have deteriorated in the UK. And now all the immigrants stretching UK schools to the limit.

I'd rather have my kids here to be honest. They are Filipino, and I wouldn't want to separate them from their extended family units. And I am assuming you aren't talking about private education in the UK.

There are decent schools here, but a responsible parent would add to the education system to make up the shortfalls. I'm guessing you don't work here, so you have plenty of time to further educate your kids.

The idea that UK schools in the public sector are any better doesn't really add up. Higher education for sure is better, for now.

• Like 2
USMC-Retired

You are in control?

You must know your limitations, in the Philippines it takes more parent involvement to level the playing field. If you are a lousy teacher or incapable of teaching (not a knock just some people are) than an education in the west would be a better fit. The overall structure of education is very poor in the Philippines and you can never change that, you can supplement it. (Tutors, aides, parent involvement). Education standards in the west can be raised just by your willingness to relocate. That in the Philippines is normally followed by a peso sign. Leaving the Philippines for me because of education was a factor but not the deciding one. You must ask yourself is the menality of the educated Filipinos something you want your children to inspire to be? There in that will be your answer.

• Like 5

I'd rather have my kids here to be honest. They are Filipino, and I wouldn't want to separate them from their extended family units.

Why not? Independence and adaptiveness are invaluable.

countries and families can be replaced, but the lessons kids learned in childhood will follow them for life.

If a child grows up in the west he or she will have western values.

If a child grows up in the Philippines he or she will have Filipino values.

RogerDuMond

YOU CAN CONTROL THE EDUCATION SYSTEM HOW

Please read what I wrote instead of what you think I wrote. I said nothing about controlling the education system, I said you can control their education.

• Like 2
RogerDuMond

Also if it were not for the US education and jobs, I suspect you would not be now able to do what you are doing, am I correct..

No you are incorrect. If I was properly educated in the Philippines in a field where jobs existed, I could easily afford to retire in the country with a small herd of goats at the age of 67.

• Like 2
RogerDuMond

You are in control?

You must know your limitations, in the Philippines it takes more parent involvement to level the playing field. If you are a lousy teacher or incapable of teaching (not a knock just some people are) than an education in the west would be a better fit. The overall structure of education is very poor in the Philippines and you can never change that, you can supplement it. (Tutors, aides, parent involvement). Education standards in the west can be raised just by your willingness to relocate. That in the Philippines is normally followed by a peso sign. Leaving the Philippines for me because of education was a factor but not the deciding one. You must ask yourself is the menality of the educated Filipinos something you want your children to inspire to be? There in that will be your answer.

You are correct. If you are unwilling or incapable of putting the time into your kids education in the Philippines, then the best option is to go to the west, let the school system take charge, and pray for the best.

• Like 1