Bringing Up Children Here?

Skywalker

I am curious how many guys moved to the Philippines because of the weather ,,, or the food ... or could it be the women...

The women.

And suddenly these 'men who go their own way' have a vision of becoming responsible, as long as someone else picks up the bill.

Disgusting.

• Like 2
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RogerDuMond

• USMC-Retired

• smokey

• Skywalker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have 2 stepdaughters   20 yr old in 4th year college at Southwestern for teaching degree. If she were in the USA she would be far behind as she graduated in 10th grade and is on track to finish wi

I have to agree.  I went to rubbish state schools in the UK, left with no qualifications at 16. Well, a 25 yard swimming certificate.  Still managed through dedication and focus to become successful.

If so..  what is it that brought you here in the first place..  there must be something about the Philippines that you love.   And though you might like to get "back" to the UK..  your wife and kids

Posted Images

smokey

we had two in high school at CIE and beside the tuition there was a shit load of EXTRAS from school projects to music lessons and fencing lessons and basketball seems there was always a send money reason it was not cheap same time my two were in high school we had two in San Carlos and one in UC many months I was broke paying endless school fees..

I have no children and I am not from the UK, so this is just my thoughts, in which place does a college graduate have a chance at a decent paying job, answer that question and then you probably have your decision made....

• Like 2
Skywalker

I have no children and I am not from the UK, so this is just my thoughts, in which place does a college graduate have a chance at a decent paying job, answer that question and then you probably have your decision made....

Probably not here Lee.

But education has to be paid for.  And you get what you pay for.  But the OP wants the tax payer to pay for his kids education, and that's where I am butting in.  As a UK tax payer I disagree with paying for the education of kids who are not British born.

• Like 3
RogerDuMond

The answer to that is simple, both depending on the field of study, the degree obtained, and the intelligence of the student. A decent paying job is relative to the economy and the cost of living in any country.

• Like 6
Skywalker

A decent paying job is relative to the economy and the cost of living in any country.

Isn't that also relevant to the production of children and how their education will be funded Roger?

• Like 1
RogerDuMond

For me, poorly educated masses and the mall as culture, not what I want for a child.

If this mall culture that you speak of actually exists and students are caught up in it, then it is the fault of the parents and not the country. Actually if your child is poorly educated here, then it is your fault.

you can control every aspect of your child's education here which you can't do in many western cultures.

• Like 8
cebubird

I have 2 stepdaughters

20 yr old in 4th year college at Southwestern for teaching degree. If she were in the USA she would be far behind as she graduated in 10th grade and is on track to finish with an Associates degree compared to US colleges. She is trying very hard but struggling as learning doesn't come as natural to her as others in the family.

10 yr old in 6th grade at private "home school" type setting as part of the Inchland Academy in Mandaue. Speaks English, Spanish, Tagalog, Cebuano, German, some Japanese and sign language. She is reading at a 10th grade level and a mathematical whiz. She attends class 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year and they celebrate no holidays. She also plays piano and guitar.  I can't imagine being in the US would help her at all.

Most of our family in general is very smart. 9 out of 10 have been valedictorians graduating high school. The niece currently in high school in Consolacion was valedictorian when graduating elementary and is on track to be valedictorian when she graduates 12th grade.

Lola runs a VERY TIGHT ship and putting off schoolwork is not allowed, neither are video games and "hanging out" with friends.

Unfortunately, There aren't schools like that everywhere.(Inchland)Maybe if we had something like that near where we live, we would have changed decision. Private school we had him in there, was no different than public--very little teaching-a WHOLE LOT of playing/practicing for fiestas, parties, etc etc. and ABSOLUTELY no discipline.

• Like 2
Skywalker

Private school we had him in there, was no different than public--very little teaching-a WHOLE LOT of playing/practicing for fiestas, parties, etc etc. and ABSOLUTELY no discipline.

And you didn't consider this aspect at all, before having kids?

I doubt your commitment to the Philippines, if you didn't think the whole thing through.

Kids who are disciplined well enough at home don't need the schools to be blamed for lack of basic parenting skills.

• Like 2
fred42

Probably not here Lee.

But education has to be paid for.  And you get what you pay for.  But the OP wants the tax payer to pay for his kids education, and that's where I am butting in.  As a UK tax payer I disagree with paying for the education of kids who are not British born.

If they are his kids they are British by decent. They are entitled to a British passport and they have every right to be educated in the U.K.. End of.

• Like 4
Skywalker

If they are his kids they are British by decent. They are entitled to a British passport and they have every right to be educated in the U.K.. End of.

I certainly hope that you are happy to pick up the tab then.

I'm not.

End Of!

RogerDuMond

Private school we had him in there, was no different than public--very little teaching-a WHOLE LOT of playing/practicing for fiestas, parties, etc etc. and ABSOLUTELY no discipline.

You can't depend on any school in the Philippines or in Florida for the proper education of your child, that is your responsibility. The difference is that here you can control it where in Florida you can't.

• Like 4
fred42

I certainly hope that you are happy to pick up the tab then.

I'm not.

End Of!

So if Ive paid N.I and taxes for years of my working life and one of my kids was born here, you dont think I should be able to take him/her back to my home country and send him/her to school?? What about white Brit couples that work abroad and have kids whilst there?...Shouldn't their kids be allowed to go to school in the UK on their return?

Anyway.. No choice..Its the law.

• Like 1

The difference is that here you can control it where in Florida you can't.

Why do you say that, please expound.

In Florida you can home school if you wish and there are some great private schools, where children grow up actually speaking American English, which is accepted for jobs in most places in the world. Also if it were not for the US education and jobs, I suspect you would not be now able to do what you are doing, am I correct.. 

Skywalker

So if Ive paid N.I and taxes for years of my working life and one of my kids was born here, you dont think I should be able to take him/her back to my home country and send him/her to school?

So you came to the Philippines, to have a child, that you planned to remove from its extended family and culture, to ship back to the UK as a foreign child, to be educated.

Yeah, I can see how you thought that through.